Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Irenicis)
    my friends are leaving for the UK soon and this made me really sad that i got rejected for my desired schools...

how do i overcome this depressing feeling? I thought I had put it all behind me but it came back all the time...
    maybe you should think about why you didn't apply when you were in your first year in NS so that you could apply again in your 2nd year if you were rejected at first, or why you didn't apply to oxbridge when you certainly have good enough grades for them. i reapplied (even though i got warwick, durham and another school which i forgot in my first attempt) and got accepted into my first choice on my 2nd attempt.

even if you didn't make it to the UK unis and have to study in singapore, quit whining like a little girl and make the most out of it. rather than coming to these forums and saying how depressed you are, go enjoy yourself in school and focus on your studies. dude, you're a guy who went through NS, learn to man up please. you're whining and crying over spilt milk when all you did was fail to get into a top UK uni. its not like you're studying at a **** school. its pretty embarrassing to see a guy get depressed over something like that when other people would kill to get A level grades like yours and study in a good course locally. so quit whining and be positive. thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by booyakasha)
    maybe you should think about why you didn't apply when you were in your first year in NS so that you could apply again in your 2nd year if you were rejected at first, or why you didn't apply to oxbridge when you certainly have good enough grades for them. i reapplied (even though i got warwick, durham and another school which i forgot in my first attempt) and got accepted into my first choice on my 2nd attempt.

even if you didn't make it to the UK unis and have to study in singapore, quit whining like a little girl and make the most out of it. rather than coming to these forums and saying how depressed you are, go enjoy yourself in school and focus on your studies. dude, you're a guy who went through NS, learn to man up please. you're whining and crying over spilt milk when all you did was fail to get into a top UK uni. its not like you're studying at a **** school. its pretty embarrassing to see a guy get depressed over something like that when other people would kill to get A level grades like yours and study in a good course locally. so quit whining and be positive. thanks.
    thanks for that. it does seem like my life's messed up and i didnt have any idea what i wanted when i was in JC. i'd be very happy if i can be one of the top students in my local uni.

it's depressing because everyone around you is leaving besides yourself.

ps. do you know i can i transfer to ucl/lse for year 2? thanks

ReputationRep:
    thanks for that. it does seem like my life's messed up and i didnt have any idea what i wanted when i was in JC. i'd be very happy if i can be one of the top students in my local uni.

Honestly, asking whether you can transfer to ucl/lse for year 2 makes it seems that you just want to transfer to a London University, as opposed to good overseas Universities. Life overseas isn't the "party / have fun in London / etc" - living costs *can* become a pain, and after a while, you just start to acclimatize to London, and feel that it's just normal.

There are student exchange programs overseas - not just to UK, but to US. Check with NUS/NTU yourself.

If you want to literally transfer over, email the Universities you are interested in, and see what they say.

Very few people can tell you whether it is possible or not - as these rules / procedures regarding transfers change every few years.

ReputationRep:

well you can apply but i would say its extremely unlikely
    https://lfylive.lse.ac.uk/lfy/tc/enq...&searchString=

you could try applying for transfer to US colleges, thats much more common. but don't even think about applying if you don't have really good grades in your singapore uni, you'll just be wasting your time and money.

i would suggest that you stop harping on this issue. even if you failed to get in and can't transfer, stop brooding like a girl. brood more until your studies are affected, and i'm telling you that you'll have a real reason to be depressed when you graduate. bad grades, no job, regretting and thinking "what could have been...."

make the most out of local uni, i myself don't see whats wrong with local uni. in fact its much harder to do well in singapore so you better focus on your studies instead of thinking of a way out. cheers.

ReputationRep:
    i think its better to ask the uni u want to go to. we are not the people deciding if u can enter your dream school and we dont know the regulations, so asking here is wasting your time only. and after the whole "glam glam" thing of going overseas to study is over, u will start to miss home and probably cant wait for the holidays to arrive so u can be back in sg.

ReputationRep:
    Hey anyone going to concord college (sixth form) next year September?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'd be taking A level this year and my subject combination is H2PCM and H1 Economics. I only realise this year that most medical schools in London requires biology. And I really really want to go to ucl. Anybody from ucl or have the same combination studying medicine in uk now? Should I take H2 biology after this year's A level and can I apply with two certs? That is, I take a gap year. Apply ucas in 2013 and admission in 2014. Female here so no ns. Just wondering if I should spend a year taking bio or just try applying for other uk med schools outside London. Thanks (:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Racharx)
    Hi, I'd be taking A level this year and my subject combination is H2PCM and H1 Economics. I only realise this year that most medical schools in London requires biology. And I really really want to go to ucl. Anybody from ucl or have the same combination studying medicine in uk now? Should I take H2 biology after this year's A level and can I apply with two certs? That is, I take a gap year. Apply ucas in 2013 and admission in 2014. Female here so no ns. Just wondering if I should spend a year taking bio or just try applying for other uk med schools outside London. Thanks (:
    Hey I was in your shoes once.

I think you should apply for medical schools that doesn't require Bio at A-level, you can only apply for four, and you would have to attend interviews for all of them. Having said that, admissions for international students are still very competitive at ALL medical schools, you can decide again after receiving offers/rejections from the schools.

Meanwhile, you can study for yr H2 A-lvl bio as a private candidate, anyway the knowledge will be useful if you do pursue medicine in the future.

Can pm me if you need help

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, just wanna have a sense amongst fellow Singaporeans on Durham Uni, is it as established and renowned as Imperial and UCL or more of a Birmingham/nottingham/Manchester kind of uni especially for future job prospects amongst the public service and private sector back in SG?

ReputationRep:
    Hello! I'm new to TSR!
    I apologise if this has been mentioned before but is anyone currently studying in The University of Bath? I'd like some info about its Architecture dept because I'm interested to study over there after my NS, in which I ORD in 2014.
    Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    Heya! Anyone doing any fun part-time/temp jobs in Central London? Are we even allowed to?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Zyckx)
    Heya! Anyone doing any fun part-time/temp jobs in Central London? Are we even allowed to?
    It depends much on your visa.

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys! Does anyone know if cardiff medicine accepts apps from singaporeans? Their website says that they don't consider apps from countries which have adequate medical facilities

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pumit)
    anyone has any experience applying to any university in Netherlands with a diploma from one of Singapore's polytechnic? Been googling around but to no avail so if you have any information, please do share with me.

Thanks in advance!

on another note, should I take up an offer from strathclyde or uni of queensland?
    not too sure if u posted at the correct forum......But I did get into a UK university with my diploma....Studying Australia now, imo is a very very bad choice(blardy expensive, loads of foreigners, less prestigious, usually no direct honour etc.), unless u wanna save time and get the exemptions.

ReputationRep:
    i am currently a student who has just finished her olevels and I am interested in the medical field in the future.Hence, i would like to have an opportunity to shadow doctors in the hospital but i am not sure about how to go about seeking for job shadowing experiences.is there anyone who can help me or provide me with suggestions? I have actually did some research and i know that i have email the hospital directly, but i am at a lost as to what to include in the email.
    I appreciate any help given! Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Hi! I'm still having my O levels, they only finish next week since I still have my chem and bio mcq papers left. :/
    I actually heard from my friends that you have to go through your school (even if you've graduated already)- I have no idea why- in order to shadow doctors and all.
    Have you heard otherwise?

This is posted from my awesome android

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by minminow)
    i am currently a student who has just finished her olevels and I am interested in the medical field in the future.Hence, i would like to have an opportunity to shadow doctors in the hospital but i am not sure about how to go about seeking for job shadowing experiences.is there anyone who can help me or provide me with suggestions? I have actually did some research and i know that i have email the hospital directly, but i am at a lost as to what to include in the email.
    I appreciate any help given! Thanks

(Whoops! Sorry to double post! But I forgot to quote earlier.)

Hi! I'm still having my O levels, they only finish next week since I still have my chem and bio mcq papers left. :/
    I actually heard from my friends that you have to go through your school (even if you've graduated already)- I have no idea why- in order to shadow doctors and all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lemmethinkaboutit)
    (Whoops! Sorry to double post! But I forgot to quote earlier.)

Hahah,hi,I still have three papers next week.but yeah,it's just paper 1,so I'm kinda planning for the attachments.i have already sent out them emails to the hospital.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    singapore hardware zone and this forum. which one u like better?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cyxstudio)
    singapore hardware zone and this forum. which one u like better?
    EDMW for the win yo.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 20, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
US study forum

Accommodation profiles:

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation - voted by 22,000 students.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.