Turn on thread page Beta

TSR Tennis Society IV watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xotol)
    The only thing I ask of tomorrow... please no John ****ing Inverdale commentating. I've somehow gotten used to that drivelling idiot Andrew Castle, I'd prefer not to get used to another one.
    It's gotten to the point where if either of them are commentating I just mute the TV or if I'm not feeling too lazy mute it, and put on some radio commentary as that seems to be better quality.
    They are both terrible but it's also a relative thing, when it's at Queens and they are by themselves it's okay but at Wimbledon when you can hear the insights of actual champions like Navratiola, McEnroe etc the difference in quality is frightening. They cling to their cliched, worn out narratives and stock comments like a toddler clings to a safety blanket, but what is worse about them is that the toddler will eventually grow up and grapple with the complexity of the real world while they will continue to never improve or add real insight and will probably remain gainfully employed until a tennis player tired of their unjustified smugness and preachiness smashes their heads in with a tennis racquet.....
    Sorry that got a bit out of hand but boy are irritating.....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pimped Butterfly)
    Good summary, enjoyed that
    Thanks, I had a lot of rmabling thoughts to get off my chest. Unfortunately none of my friends are interested in tennis in any way so this is my only tennis outlet
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Semi-final day. Come on, Andy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Most Competitive)
    Hmm, you do have a point there. It can't be a coincidence that she's not had an off day against Sharapova in their last 17 matches.

It does seem odd if you compare it to the Fed-Djoko rivalry, however. They don't like each other too but their head-to-head is much closer.
    I think the whole Federer and Djokovic not liking each other thing is nowhere near the level of Sharapova and Williams which got extremely personal and stirred up by the media a couple of years ago. If Boris Becker wasn't such a motor mouth I doubt anyone would be talking about Federer and Djokovic's relationship which I think has thawed considerably over the years and whilst they'll probably never be friends there's a respect between them now. Probably also helps that neither Djokovic or Federer have an overwhelming advantage in their head to head as they aren't radically technically mismatched like Nadal and Federer, whilst you could argue Sharapova and Williams are.

ReputationRep:
    I think reckon it could go to 5 sets with the Fed Murray match

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GrandMasti)
    I think reckon it could go to 5 sets with the Fed Murray match
    It sure will be close

(Original post by usamakhanlodhi)
    It's gotten to the point where if either of them are commentating I just mute the TV or if I'm not feeling too lazy mute it, and put on some radio commentary as that seems to be better quality.
    They are both terrible but it's also a relative thing, when it's at Queens and they are by themselves it's okay but at Wimbledon when you can hear the insights of actual champions like Navratiola, McEnroe etc the difference in quality is frightening. They cling to their cliched, worn out narratives and stock comments like a toddler clings to a safety blanket, but what is worse about them is that the toddler will eventually grow up and grapple with the complexity of the real world while they will continue to never improve or add real insight and will probably remain gainfully employed until a tennis player tired of their unjustified smugness and preachiness smashes their heads in with a tennis racquet.....
    I honestly couldn't agree more.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Murray-Roger is bound to go to five, which helps Djokovic, who will be heavy favourite for the final if he can capitalise on Gasquet's fatigue and get through relatively unchallenged.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chief Wiggum)
    I remember that. The producers must have been trolling him or something, that was hilarious. :lol:

Here's the public opinion on Andrew Castle if you want some lols

https://shanktennis.wordpress.com/20...andrew-castle/

(Original post by usamakhanlodhi)
    Inverdale has no business commentating on this sport. Him and Fleming are so bad together that they're actually hilarious. Reason being that Fleming is pretty sensible and doesn't go along with Inverdale's rubbish.

In one of the matches I remember:

Inverdale: The foot fault, it's such an archaic rule, isn't it?
    Fleming (bluntly): ...Why?
    Inverdale: .... (awkward silence)... We don't have time to discuss it.

Or the Wawrinka-Gasquet match when Fleming said that 5th set stats are irrelevant at this point:

Inverdale: I have some 5 set stats of Wawrinka and Gasquet.
    Fleming: ...Go on...
    Inverdale: No, you said they were irrelevant
    Fleming (annoyed): Yes, they're irrelevant, but that doesn't mean they're not interesting
    Inverdale: ...I'll tell you at the changeover.

:facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    come on gasquet!

ReputationRep:
    Here's hoping that Gasquet can perform well against Djokovic and it isn't completely one sided.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    if only gasquet had a better 1st serve

ReputationRep:
    Gasquet going very well so far, Djokovic is far from comfortable

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lizzy95)
    Gasquet going very well so far, Djokovic is far from comfortable
    Still can't see Djokovic ever losing that match. He's too good for Gasquet.

ReputationRep:
    Djokovic was the second best player in that set and still won it, punch in the gut for Gasquet

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ilovemaths96)
    if only gasquet had a better 1st serve
    His first return is too poor to beat Djok. Djok can dictate the tempo so easy because of the fatigue from Gasquet.

ReputationRep:
    Djokovic's serve is looking shaky so far, Gasquet definitely not out of this yet

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ETRC)
    His first return is too poor to beat Djok. Djok can dictate the tempo so easy because of the fatigue from Gasquet.
    yeah definitely, djok will be able to overpower him fairly easily

ReputationRep:
    Djokovic was the second best player in that set and still won it, punch in the gut for Gasquet
    couple of stupid errors in tiebreak unfortunately cost gasquet the set

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ilovemaths96)
    couple of stupid errors in tiebreak unfortunately cost gasquet the set
    Definitely, once Gasquet made those errors it allowed Djokovic to relax then he himself cut down some of his errors

ReputationRep:
    Definitely, once Gasquet made those errors it allowed Djokovic to relax then he himself cut down some of his errors
    ikr, looks like a very short affair, 2-0 already

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.