The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Apocrypha
You are blind to reality if you believe the USA is turning against Israel.

Like a great big warship, they are. It may take them a bit of time to turn around, but they are fed up with their "Israeli problem".

First there was the debacle over John Kerry and the hoohah of leaked transcripts and whatnot.

And now the Israeli shelling of a UN school which they have unequivocally condemned...

The tide is turning, slowly but surely...
Original post by Jammy Duel
An I to take this to mean you can't?

Having trouble understanding what you mean here.
Original post by tsr1269
Like a great big warship, they are. It may take them a bit of time to turn around, but they are fed up with their "Israeli problem".

First there was the debacle over John Kerry and the hoohah of leaked transcripts and whatnot.

And now the Israeli shelling of a UN school which they have unequivocally condemned...

The relationship between the USA and Israel goes far far deeper than what is shown in public.
Provided all political parties are strictly secular, i dont believe this to be a bad idea.

There is no need for any party to run on a secular ticket.

However i still dont think its a plausible solution, It would ultimately mean the disarmament and disbanding of Hamas, which i doubt they would agree with.

Oh, I assure you, they will agree to it...
You are blind to reality if you believe the USA is turning against Israel.

You can hardly say that their support isn't waining somewhat, especially given what Israel is doing. They're kind enough to condemn the actions of Israel along with the rest of the world and the public support is particularly high.

Having trouble understanding what you mean here.

You're asked to explain something and fail to do so, surely if you were capable of explaining you would have done so.
Original post by tsr1269
There is no need for any party to run on a secular ticket.

Oh, I assure you, they will agree to it...

Its still not plausible, its essentially Israel giving up masses of power to a small area that has little to none. Like I said, the only plausible solution is for the Palestinians to conform.

Why do you disagree with only secular parties? Pro-Muslim, or Pro-Jewish parties will only cause tension and unrest.

I feel youre 'solution' is just an idea of making Israel into a Muslim state in the long run, not gonna happen.
The relationship between the USA and Israel goes far far deeper than what is shown in public.

The dirty laundry is being aired in public. It's a start.

Congress is falling over itself to condemn HAMAS but the President goes and condemns Israel. I wouldn't be surprised if before the end of his term, BO has completely cut ties with Israel if they keep acting like this.

I was referring more to his methods, rather than his opinions..

You can't pick and choose.

Its still not plausible, its essentially Israel giving up masses of power to a small area that has little to none. Like I said, the only plausible solution is for the Palestinians to conform.

It's a one state solution. How would it involve "Israel giving up masses of power to a small area"?

Why do you disagree with only secular parties? Pro-Muslim, or Pro-Jewish parties will only cause tension and unrest.

It would be undemocratic...

I feel youre 'solution' is just an idea of making Israel into a Muslim state in the long run, not gonna happen.

That's the purpose of democracy, no? Majority rule and all that?

As I said, you can't pick and choose only when it suits you. That's just hypocrisy...
(edited 9 years ago)
You can hardly say that their support isn't waining somewhat, especially given what Israel is doing. They're kind enough to condemn the actions of Israel along with the rest of the world and the public support is particularly high.

You're asked to explain something and fail to do so, surely if you were capable of explaining you would have done so.

The USA will always condemn actions as a means to improve their public image, i responded to that in a previous post.

I mentioned Gandhi in response to you saying there are no other means other than violence to achieve negotiation, Gandhi proves that point wrong, i didnt need to explain it.
Original post by tsr1269

Congress is falling over itself to condemn HAMAS but the President goes and condemns Israel. I wouldn't be surprised if before the end of his term, BO has completely cut ties with Israel if they keep acting like this.

I feel to stop responding to you, i feel you have a dream scenario where the USA turns against Israel, cannot stress how false this statement is.

You also seem like someone who ultimately just wants an Islamic Caliphate in Israel by your means of solution and your response to my response to them.

There is no point responding anymore.
Original post by tsr1269

It's a one state solution. How would it involve "Israel giving up masses of power to a small area"?

It would be undemocratic...

That's the purpose of democracy, no? Majority rule and all that?

As I said, you can't pick and choose only when it suits you. That's just hypocrisy...

As a final response, its not undemocratic to have secular parties only, its undemocratic to have parties that favour one religion over another. (See the definition of Democracy, and youll find parties have to be secular for a country to be deemed democratic legitimately)

Israel will never give up its land to share with the Palestinians unless they conform to Israel, and even then its unlikely given the history.
I feel to stop responding to you, i feel you have a dream scenario where the USA turns against Israel, cannot stress how false this statement is.

I suppose you either have an inside line to the CIC at the WH or you are just deluding yourself like Netanyahu and his cabinet, shutting your eyes and eats in order to believe that no matter what Israel does, America will always support it to the hilt...

You also seem like someone who ultimately just wants an Islamic Caliphate in Israel by your means of solution and your response to my response to them.

I'm just saying that we should let democracy takes it's natural course.

I cannot apologize for you being a hypocrite by picking and choosing as well as being selective when applying democratic principles whenever it suits you to.

There is no point responding anymore.

Why? Because you have defeated your own point about why the Palestinians should lay down their arms and be led like sheep to slaughter by the Israeli's?
As a final response, its not undemocratic to have secular parties only, its undemocratic to have parties that favour one religion over another. (See the definition of Democracy, and youll find parties have to be secular for a country to be deemed democratic legitimately)

I think you are conflating democracy and secularism. Don't worry, it's an easy mistake to make...

One can be entirely democratic and religious as well as being democratic and secular. Arguable, one can also be neither...

Israel will never give up its land to share with the Palestinians unless they conform to Israel, and even then its unlikely given the history.

So the Israeli's just don't want to share? Well, I could have told you that at the start instead of having to play out this long winded discussion...
The USA will always condemn actions as a means to improve their public image, i responded to that in a previous post.

I mentioned Gandhi in response to you saying there are no other means other than violence to achieve negotiation, Gandhi proves that point wrong, i didnt need to explain it.

But similarly I can point to the USA and say that's proof that violence works. I can point to assorted places and say that it's proof peace doesn't work. You can't just point to Ghandi and the independence of India because they're completely different circumstances. The Post-War UK government was one that was highly supportive of de-colonisation and given that India was rather a thorn in the side it made sense to deal with it.
The 1952 Tory government was very much against it so it slowed down, they felt that the Empire was rather important, but the 1960 Macmillan government decided decolonisation was a good idea, especially given the problems the French were having with their African colonies.
London held the cards, London called the blows largely at the behest of the populace.
If Hamas were to drop their weapons would the Israeli population call for the recognition of the State of Palestine? If they did, would the government do so? In both cases, I think not.

And the USA may condemn actions for its own image, but it can only supply a state it condemns the actions of for so long before their words become meaningless.
Original post by tsr1269

Um, no.

You seem to have no understanding of the way politics work in the real world.

US can go on and condemn Israel all it wants, but the fact is, it needs Israel right where it is. Why do you think it's been pouring so much money into it?

Because Israel is the one country in the Middle East which the US can have normal relations with. The rest of them just want to blow the US up. Divide and conquer.

As long as there is the Israeli problem, the Arab countries will never be fully united, and will never be able to look outside their continent. The fact that there is a jewish state kicking their ass is driving them crazy. US is well aware of that.

Not to mention, with Israel's powerful army/ Mossad which are fighting the war on terror for the US in the Middle East.

So, the US government can say whatever it likes to keep the flock of sheep happy, but what it says and what it does are two different things. Fact is, Obama is raising financial aid to Israel.

US condemns in words only. You're stupid to think they'll ever do anything to hurt Israel. They'll lose such an important weapon in their quest for affordable oil and general suppression of extremism in the Middle East.
But similarly I can point to the USA and say that's proof that violence works. I can point to assorted places and say that it's proof peace doesn't work. You can't just point to Ghandi and the independence of India because they're completely different circumstances. The Post-War UK government was one that was highly supportive of de-colonisation and given that India was rather a thorn in the side it made sense to deal with it.
The 1952 Tory government was very much against it so it slowed down, they felt that the Empire was rather important, but the 1960 Macmillan government decided decolonisation was a good idea, especially given the problems the French were having with their African colonies.
London held the cards, London called the blows largely at the behest of the populace.
If Hamas were to drop their weapons would the Israeli population call for the recognition of the State of Palestine? If they did, would the government do so? In both cases, I think not.

And the USA may condemn actions for its own image, but it can only supply a state it condemns the actions of for so long before their words become meaningless.

Their words are meaningless, like I said, whatever is said in public doesnt reflect the private relations between the two nations at all. All the USA has done is condemn the deaths of civilians, which they have to do.

The USA has supplied Israel through decades of this already. Israel has as much influence on the USA as vice versa, the two countries go hand in hand.

In reference to the first point, a short term compromise between the 2 parties involved is not plausible. I have mentioned before there needs to be years and years of peace if the Palestinians want to achieve anything, by then it is hoped that they embrace secularism and forget about their dream of an Islamic Caliphate in Israel.
(edited 9 years ago)
This guy is wonderful. Absolutely nails it.

Their words are meaningless, like I said, whatever is said in public doesnt reflect the private relations between the two nations at all. All the USA has done is condemn the deaths of civilians, which they have to do.

The USA has supplied Israel through decades of this already. Israel has as much influence on the USA as vice versa, the two countries go hand in hand.

Nice of you to now ignore the part that you know you have lost.
So tell me, why would Israel suddnely listen, you can't use the fall of the British Empire to support your argument because it had reached the end of the line like all Empires before it, which would you rather do, let the empire go peacefully or get into yet another series of wars after your country and military was recovering from the biggest war in history?

Now, tell me, the US publicly condemns actions, continues to supply, condemns more, continues to supply, and this keeps happening over and over. the US loses the slight moral high ground it could have claimed to have and their standings in the eyes of the world go down; they know war crimes are being repeatedly committed, they condemn the war crimes a lot of the time, yet they still continue to offer the supplies so more war crimes can be committed. Tell me, at what point does the increase in trade stop being worth the funny looks?
Nice of you to now ignore the part that you know you have lost.
So tell me, why would Israel suddnely listen, you can't use the fall of the British Empire to support your argument because it had reached the end of the line like all Empires before it, which would you rather do, let the empire go peacefully or get into yet another series of wars after your country and military was recovering from the biggest war in history?

Now, tell me, the US publicly condemns actions, continues to supply, condemns more, continues to supply, and this keeps happening over and over. the US loses the slight moral high ground it could have claimed to have and their standings in the eyes of the world go down; they know war crimes are being repeatedly committed, they condemn the war crimes a lot of the time, yet they still continue to offer the supplies so more war crimes can be committed. Tell me, at what point does the increase in trade stop being worth the funny looks?

The USA lost the moral high ground years ago, theyre still the most powerful nation in the world, in public they act like it effects them, in reality they really do not care as no one can stand up to them.

The dream some people have on here that people believe the USA controls Israel entirely, or that they will suddenly support Hamas is an absolute joke, and a pointless discussion to have.

Edit: The UN have concluded that both parties in the conflict have committed war crimes, not that the USA cares, its still gonna supply Israel with funds.
(edited 9 years ago)
The USA lost the moral high ground years ago, theyre still the most powerful nation in the world, in public they act like it effects them, in reality they really do not care as no one can stand up to them.

The dream some people have on here that people believe the USA controls Israel entirely, or that they will suddenly support Hamas is an absolute joke, and a pointless discussion to have.

That they're the most powerful could be called into question by China, but that's irrelevant. And the US may be an economic powerhouse, but without trade it would be nowhere.
But please, if you really do believe that peace will lead to negotiation explain why. Until you do so I shall hold them as empty words being used purely to start an argument.
That they're the most powerful could be called into question by China, but that's irrelevant. And the US may be an economic powerhouse, but without trade it would be nowhere.
But please, if you really do believe that peace will lead to negotiation explain why. Until you do so I shall hold them as empty words being used purely to start an argument.

You complain endlessly about the death of innocent Palestinians yet effectively fully support their continuous death by highlighting the need for violence?

Just look at the situation, Hamas are getting obliterated by the Israelis and you still think they should pursue a violent cause?

Boils down to plausibility, something no pro-Palestinian poster on here has suggested.

None of you want to end the violence, you all just want to see Israel destroyed.. Pathetic.

Latest

Trending

Trending