This discussion is closed.
Tanqueray91
  • Study Helper
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Life_peer)
You mean that subclass (pun) feature I've heard a couple of times about but never wanted to learn more? What purpose did it serve and why was it problematic?
Haha - I like it From what I understand, it was basically used to attack members and got so bad with the lack of moderation that they couldn't justify keeping it... Purpose it served? It allowed those who paid for a sub to justify paying £6/month (or whatever it was!)
KingStannis
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Saracen's Fez)
I'd take that.
Would that be an overall labour majority?
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by KingStannis)
Would that be an overall labour majority?
No where near. A majority is unheard of, closed we ever got was the torys getting 15 seats. 13 is what the greens got this term and it's a quarter of the seats.
Kittiara
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by mobbsy91)
Definitely gonna be down to coalition - and miliband did guarantee in the leader's question time that he'd rather not be in government than go with snp - so who knows...

If UKIP win - that'd be lol... What was the final verdict in the case regarding the Aphgate scandal? I thought UKIP weren't going to be allowed in power or something?
Yes, we are in for some interesting times in RL politics. I look forward to the 7th.

If UKIP win it will definitely be interesting. UKIP/Tory coalition?

Regarding that whole business, Birch reversed it, partly, and I think it's now just a legislation ban for a few weeks into the term.
Life_peer
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Haha - I like it From what I understand, it was basically used to attack members and got so bad with the lack of moderation that they couldn't justify keeping it... Purpose it served? It allowed those who paid for a sub to justify paying £6/month (or whatever it was!)
I thought they've been using only the study resources to justify paying for bigger avatars.

“Mum, I need £6/month to become a sub on this site so that I can chat with random people because I'm completely unfamiliar with Facebook, Omegle, Chatroulette, Tinder, and gazillion others that provide the same functionality for free.” :laugh:
Saracen's Fez
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aph)
No where near. A majority is unheard of, closed we ever got was the torys getting 15 seats. 13 is what the greens got this term and it's a quarter of the seats.
I'm sure the MRLP had 17 one term, having just gone through the MHoC's history making colourful Parliament diagrams.
Kittiara
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
That's what so great though! And excepting specific members, on the whole, the havoc we cause isn't massive - and I think the havoc that would be caused from shutting us down just wouldn't be worth it...

The shoutbox at its worst was a million times worse than the MHoC at its worst, especially due to the difficulty in moderating a live chat - I know this is effectively live, but in a forum style, it's much easier to moderate than a live chat, and the structure is different... as well as this being an open forum to everyone, whereas the shoutbox was a very closed and exclusive feature which meant people didn't care about the stuff which happened there so much as not as many could see it...

Just my opinion anyway!
I hate to say it, but if it ever came to it (and I am not saying that it will, but if...), I don't think they'd care that much. They're used to it. Remember neg rep? That affected a lot more people than the 50 - 100 active MHoC members. They still didn't bring it back though, regardless of plenty of people protesting the decision.

True, you make some good points there.
Kittiara
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You mean that subclass (pun) feature I've heard a couple of times about but never wanted to learn more? What purpose did it serve and why was it problematic?
I don't know that much about it, to be honest. I never used it. I do know it had its own community. Unfortunately, that community could get rather rowdy at times. So, some months ago, it was closed. Then re-opened. Now it's been closed permanently.
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm sure the MRLP had 17 one term, having just gone through the MHoC's history making colourful Parliament diagrams.
Oh, maybe but that was back in the second parliament if it was 15 is the most in the so called 'modern era' although with the second great repeal we need new names...
Saracen's Fez
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aph)
Oh, maybe but that was back in the second parliament if it was 15 is the most in the so called 'modern era' although with the second great repeal we need new names...
The Third Era?
Kittiara
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The Third Era?
MHoC - The Next Generation?
The MHoC Strikes Back?
Return of the Barnetlad?
Life_peer
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The Third Era?
Third Reich?
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The Third Era?
Sounds kinda boring
(Original post by Kittiara)
MHoC - The Next Generation?
The MHoC Strikes Back?
Return of the Barnetlad?
I like the MHoC strikes back!!!
But deep politics 9?
Saracen's Fez
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Third Reich?
If UKIP actually do win the election then maybe...
username456717
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
If UKIP actually do win the election then maybe...
Fascism is very interesting really, i know some fascists and you'd probably be surprised by what you'd share common ground on.
Tanqueray91
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Yes, we are in for some interesting times in RL politics. I look forward to the 7th.

If UKIP win it will definitely be interesting. UKIP/Tory coalition?

Regarding that whole business, Birch reversed it, partly, and I think it's now just a legislation ban for a few weeks into the term.
The 7th is going to be very interesting indeed...

Haha, personally, a UKIP/Tory coalition wouldn't be a massive failure

Ahh ok, that makes sense, and I'm very happy with that actually!
I thought they've been using only the study resources to justify paying for bigger avatars.

“Mum, I need £6/month to become a sub on this site so that I can chat with random people because I'm completely unfamiliar with Facebook, Omegle, Chatroulette, Tinder, and gazillion others that provide the same functionality for free.” :laugh:
It wasn't actually the young ones which caused all the fuss - it was all those who were either at uni or left uni that were causing such big problems - that's why the shoutbox was the only thing that justified them getting the sub - that's why since it closing, many have said (despite free sub for everyone anyway) that they aren't going to renew, and tbh, the only reason I sub is because I get it for free... And why they didn't just use a whatsapp or facebook group like many are planning to do now is beyond me...

I hate to say it, but if it ever came to it (and I am not saying that it will, but if...), I don't think they'd care that much. They're used to it. Remember neg rep? That affected a lot more people than the 50 - 100 active MHoC members. They still didn't bring it back though, regardless of plenty of people protesting the decision.

True, you make some good points there.
Haha, unfortunately you are right - the thing is though - it's often complained about the immaturity of young members on TSR - but the members causing all the problems were people either at uni, or beyond uni as far as I was aware, and they brought it upon themselves...
Life_peer
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
[…] the only reason I sub is because I get it for free... And why they didn't just use a whatsapp or facebook group like many are planning to do now is beyond me...
How? I remember there used to be some points for writing essays and such that could be used to purchase a subscription but I haven't seen that anywhere for a long time.
Saracen's Fez
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by nebelbon)
Fascism is very interesting really, i know some fascists and you'd probably be surprised by what you'd share common ground on.
Slightly worrying.
Tanqueray91
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
How? I remember there used to be some points for writing essays and such that could be used to purchase a subscription but I haven't seen that anywhere for a long time.
I believe that CA's, SM and SL's get free subs - and before that I got it through doing a certain number of welcomes in the Welcome Squad - you can also get it by doing a certain amount of posts as a Study Helper - however, I think I visited the shoutbox maybe 5-10 times and that was during the hours of about 2-4am which meant it was almost always empty barring one other person maybe... The only thing I actually enjoyed it for was seeing who repped me and having custom user title - definitely not worth the money imo...
username456717
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Slightly worrying.
Why?

It is just an ideology. It isn't anymore worrying than Communism - just far-right instead of far-left.

Do you not believe in the horse-shoe theory?
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (110)
17.94%
It's just nice to be back! (166)
27.08%
Not great so far... (220)
35.89%
I want to drop out! (117)
19.09%

Watched Threads