Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marsbar3007)
    Congrats!! That's an amazing score :-) How long did you spend revising a day approx, and how many weeks before did you start? Thanks :-)
    Thank you!! I started a week after I finished school (so like 25th of July) and did about an hour a day, two hours this past week Do little, often

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by isabella1999)
    Hey everyone! So relieved to get my UKCAT over and done with, honestly this thread has been my saviour over the past month!! In the end I got:

VR: 680
    (WAY harder than any mock I have done, was getting 750-800 in them all passages are quite long, and I was so terribly nervous I probably ruined my chances for this section anyway. UKCAT mock A was probably most similar to the passage lengths, or ISC 1000Q. My advice would be STAY calm!! And do the normal scanning tecnique thing)
    AR: 860
    (SO SO happy. In the exam, I was convinced I did badly as I thought half the patterns had a secondary condition like the ones in basically every mock, but apparently not! The patterns were not EASY per se, I actually found them quite difficult but idk magic happens. Id say the mock most similar to it is UKCAT mock C or A, it is nowhere near as hard as B)
    QR: 890
    (OH MY GOD THE MOCKS ARE SOOOO DECIEVING. Every single practice question I had ever done was a million times harder. I would honestly say add 100-150 on the scores you get in the mocks and that is likely to be your score. All of the questions were simple percentage increase, average, median and mode questions, and the data was very easy to interperet. This section really calmed me down from my awful VR. HAVE HOPE EVERYONE)
    SJ: Band 1
    (The passages were a lot longer than in mocks and me, who usually has about 18 minutes to spare, only had 6, so if you generally finish around the time be aware of this! In general pretty similar to the mocks except there were a few ambiguous questions thar I literally changed a thousand times)

Overall total= 2430, average=810! So so relieved, bring on the BMAT now (sigh). If anyone has any questions please ask!
    Hi! Congrats on your amazing scores! Would you say that QR was harder than the mocks on kaplan as well?

ReputationRep:
    got 673, how is this for dentistry at Kings or Queen Mary's. Feeling disappointed at the moment

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adulay)
    got 673, how is this for dentistry at Kings or Queen Mary's. Feeling disappointed at the moment
    still a good score, dont let it get you down

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tinbite1)
    Hi! Congrats on your amazing scores! Would you say that QR was harder than the mocks on kaplan as well?
    I did not have kaplan so I do not know, but easier than the free mock!

ReputationRep:
    Name:  ukcat progress sheet.jpg
Views: 378
Size:  129.2 KB Here are the mock scores for every mock or timed test I did!

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

I just did my UKCAT today and I am quite disappointed since I was getting around 700 in my mocks but only came out with 637, Band 2 today.

I also have 6A*s 4As for GCSE and I am predicted 3As minimum with the possibility of it being A*AA at A2. (I will know for sure once I start sixth form again)

I have looked at places to apply and so far I have narrowed it down to:
    UEA
    Bristol
    Liverpool

And I'm unsure of where else to apply hence I know my GCSEs are nor strong enough for GCSE heavy universities, and it would be risky to go for UKCAT heavy universities, or even ones with a cut off of 650.

What should I do next? Is it worth applying the year after or should I do the BMAT?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ipanda99)
    Hi guys,

I just did my UKCAT today and I am quite disappointed since I was getting around 700 in my mocks but only came out with 637, Band 2 today.

I also have 6A*s 4As for GCSE and I am predicted 3As minimum with the possibility of it being A*AA at A2. (I will know for sure once I start sixth form again)

I have looked at places to apply and so far I have narrowed it down to:
    UEA
    Bristol
    Liverpool

And I'm unsure of where else to apply hence I know my GCSEs are nor strong enough for GCSE heavy universities, and it would be risky to go for UKCAT heavy universities, or even ones with a cut off of 650.

What should I do next? Is it worth applying the year after or should I do the BMAT?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Definitely do the BMAT. Imperial, UCL and BSMS have generally fairly low BMAT averages (like middle 4's out of 9 for 1 and 2) I am not sure about leeds so even if yu are not that confident it is worth applying to one, your other choices are good though

ReputationRep:
    I did not have kaplan so I do not know, but easier than the free mock!
    alright, that's making me feel better.
    thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tinbite1)
    alright, that's making me feel better.
    thank you!
    It's fine!

ReputationRep:
    I got VR:580 QR:670 AR:600 SJT: Band 1. is this enough to get an interview for dentistry?

ReputationRep:
    Hey!

So I took my UKCAT a few weeks ago now and I was pretty happy with how it turned out but I'm still not 100% sure on where to apply, are there any universities that are particularly UKCAT heavy?

I got:

QR: 850
    AR: 640
    SJT: Band 2
    Avg: 723

Any advice would be great, thanks guys!

ReputationRep:
    Definitely do the BMAT. Imperial, UCL and BSMS have generally fairly low BMAT averages (like middle 4's out of 9 for 1 and 2) I am not sure about leeds so even if yu are not that confident it is worth applying to one, your other choices are good though
    Thanks for the advice, would you suggest a 2:2 BMAT to UKCAT ratio or 1:3 when applying? I'm just so confused on if I should even apply since this score has been demotivating

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Bloody hell. Sat down to do the mock exam in the 1000Qs book and got:

QR 483 yikes
    AR 530
    VR 573
    SJT Band 2 - a few nasty trick questions meant I just missed B1

Has anybody else had a similar experience ha ha - I agree we shouldn't focus on scores and instead just keep refining technique, but I didn't think I was *that* bad?!

Not really in the position to pay for other resources and have extinguished the Official UKCAT toolkit.

Does anybody know of anything free?

Thanks*

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the advice, would you suggest a 2:2 BMAT to UKCAT ratio or 1:3 when applying? I'm just so confused on if I should even apply since this score has been demotivating

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Definitly still apply! and it depends on how confident you are about your personal statement! If you have had it checked loads, great feedback and are proud of it, go for 3:1 and apply to bristol. If not so much, go 2:2 as Bristol is 70% personal statement Your score is not bad at all, its a little above average (Think it was like 620 last year) so I wouldn't recommend 2:2 or more unless you did worse than 600 tbh as it is risky

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fleuves)
    Bloody hell. Sat down to do the mock exam in the 1000Qs book and got:

QR 483 yikes
    AR 530
    VR 573
    SJT Band 2 - a few nasty trick questions meant I just missed B1

Has anybody else had a similar experience ha ha - I agree we shouldn't focus on scores and instead just keep refining technique, but I didn't think I was *that* bad?!

Not really in the position to pay for other resources and have extinguished the Official UKCAT toolkit.

Does anybody know of anything free?

Thanks*
    Use the free questions from UKCAT ninja??!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gabby1410)
    Well that went horrifically but I didn't do as bad as I thought...
    VR 640
    QR 750
    AR 680
    SJT Band 1
    So average 690
    I'm applying to Bristol, Exeter, Leicester and Cardiff, with 8A*s 2A's , 4 A's at As , do you think I have a good chance at getting interviews?
    SJT advice please!!!!!! Cannot shift from band 2 every single time. Would really love a band 1!

ReputationRep:
    Definitly still apply! and it depends on how confident you are about your personal statement! If you have had it checked loads, great feedback and are proud of it, go for 3:1 and apply to bristol. If not so much, go 2:2 as Bristol is 70% personal statement Your score is not bad at all, its a little above average (Think it was like 620 last year) so I wouldn't recommend 2:2 or more unless you did worse than 600 tbh as it is risky
    Thanks. I guess its time for me to convince the head of my sixth form to even let me apply now, which is going to be a hard task in itself. I'm working on my personal statement, and I guess I sill make that decision once I've completed my final draft.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Use the free questions from UKCAT ninja??!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Was a bit dubious of that, but if it has your blessing *

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone! So relieved to get my UKCAT over and done with, honestly this thread has been my saviour over the past month!! In the end I got:

(WAY harder than any mock I have done, was getting 750-800 in them all passages are quite long, and I was so terribly nervous I probably ruined my chances for this section anyway. UKCAT mock A was probably most similar to the passage lengths, or ISC 1000Q. My advice would be STAY calm!! And do the normal scanning tecnique thing)
    AR: 860
    (SO SO happy. In the exam, I was convinced I did badly as I thought half the patterns had a secondary condition like the ones in basically every mock, but apparently not! The patterns were not EASY per se, I actually found them quite difficult but idk magic happens. Id say the mock most similar to it is UKCAT mock C or A, it is nowhere near as hard as B)
    QR: 890
    (OH MY GOD THE MOCKS ARE SOOOO DECIEVING. Every single practice question I had ever done was a million times harder. I would honestly say add 100-150 on the scores you get in the mocks and that is likely to be your score. All of the questions were simple percentage increase, average, median and mode questions, and the data was very easy to interperet. This section really calmed me down from my awful VR. HAVE HOPE EVERYONE)
    SJ: Band 1
    (The passages were a lot longer than in mocks and me, who usually has about 18 minutes to spare, only had 6, so if you generally finish around the time be aware of this! In general pretty similar to the mocks except there were a few ambiguous questions thar I literally changed a thousand times)

Overall total= 2430, average=810! So so relieved, bring on the BMAT now (sigh). If anyone has any questions please ask!
    OMG amazing score! Please give me advice for AR as I can never find patterns. How do you find them? What do you look for? Also QR which questions did you guess and go and how do you answer them so quickly? Can you use the keypad to press the +/- button or do you have to click with the mouse? And lastly SJT how do you get band 1!!!!!!!!!! Stuck on band 2 and never mover up and so far haven't moved down but I wont feel safe until I'm getting band 1. Thank you so much and well done! You should be super proud

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 22, 2017
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.