Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fatal)
    haha I thought I was the only one struggling with all the nicknames and acronyms! Luckily I don't get to go on base yet cos my bf is only in the TA parachute regiment until he graduates then moving into full time army so I've got a little more time to get used to it!

I can't get over the feeling that they're all talking about their women on these weekends away...
    Ah, I see. No, I was a Sandhurst Widow for a year and now I'm a proud Second Lieutenant (you get the same rank as them, hence the saluting). I want a wall chart of all the ranks and a guide book for the acronyms. The army was completely alien to me before I met him so I always feel like I'm playing catch up and doing the wrong thing. He had punishment phys once at Sandhurst because I held my knife and fork the 'wrong way' at a meal there. I think they do chat about us, but I think it's more proud than anything else. Whenever I visit they know all about me, which is weird. http://www.arrse.co.uk/ this is good to look stuff up. There's a families bit there too for wags.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ilovehotchocolate)
    Ah, I see. No, I was a Sandhurst Widow for a year and now I'm a proud Second Lieutenant (you get the same rank as them, hence the saluting). I want a wall chart of all the ranks and a guide book for the acronyms. The army was completely alien to me before I met him so I always feel like I'm playing catch up and doing the wrong thing. He had punishment phys once at Sandhurst because I held my knife and fork the 'wrong way' at a meal there. I think they do chat about us, but I think it's more proud than anything else. Whenever I visit they know all about me, which is weird. http://www.arrse.co.uk/ this is good to look stuff up. There's a families bit there too for wags.
    I don't understand why he couldnt just be happy being a doctor, but nooooo he wants to throw himself outta planes in some war zone! sigh.

I know of one time my boyfriend told his pals something really really private about us and I went mental, but I think they spend so much time together (bromance?) that they need to share like that.

thanks for the website! It'll be nice to talk to other wags and families

ReputationRep:
    when are you away home?

(Original post by Fission_Mailed)
    *grab*

ReputationRep:
    Yet another birthday spent revising for exams. Life as the eternal student has it's draw backs. Ah well, I know how to live, half a pot of half price Ben and Jerry's (Tesco's). Happy birthday to me
    Happy birthday! Join the Gemmini club with Helenia & I. :five:
    One day the rota gods may be kind - I've had runs of zero days for both my birthdays as a doctor!

ReputationRep:
    I find that funny :rofl:

Although how did you hold it wrong? It wasn't a case of wrong piece of cutlery was it?

Though as a lefty everytime it got to a dish only using spoons It would be punishment time.Or dessert (I have a preference for using more of the cake fork than the spoon and again in the mirror image of what it should be)

Hope you had a good bday. Mine is in Easter so never gets celebrated properly, although last year we did a cocktail party. Tooo much absinthe...

ReputationRep:
    Finals start tomorrow :eek3:

Absolute sense of impending doom right now :bawling:

:getmecoat: Back to work I suppose :sigh:

ReputationRep:
    Ok. I would have probably got 20-30% on that paper. **** ****idy **** ****.

Arse in gear time. Atleast I now have the fear...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crazylemon)
    Ok. I would have probably got 20-30% on that paper. **** ****idy **** ****.

Arse in gear time. Atleast I now have the fear...
    I'm so curious as to what all those asterix's are hiding

How many more papers do you have?

Just finished the Race for Life in 32 minutes, pretty suprised seeing as I haven't ran in about 4 months and spent all that time at a desk getting fat and unfit.

ReputationRep:
    question, so in the context of complications of MI the magic book says:

'persistant RVF presents with high neck veins and hepatic congestion. In the acute stage in sevear cases, Swan Ganz monitoring may show low left sided filling pressures with high right sided pressures. Cardiac output may be improved my plasma expansion in carefully regulated amounts, rather than diuretic therapy which may make the situation worse.'

Why? RHF would have low pulmonary perfusion and low return to the left side, is it saying sod the right heart and improve the systemic perfusion? surely expanding the plasma volume is not good for the failing heart, excluding hypovolemia? Or is it the potassium effects from diuresis??

Help please

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fatal)
    I'm so curious as to what all those asterix's are hiding

How many more papers do you have?

Just finished the Race for Life in 32 minutes, pretty suprised seeing as I haven't ran in about 4 months and spent all that time at a desk getting fat and unfit.
    just the F-word. Only one and it is 3 weeks away and this is without revision but still...I wanted a bit of a break. The fact that the paper is sort of synoptic for the last two years aswell annoys me.

Well done on the race for life!

ReputationRep:
    I find that funny :rofl:

Although how did you hold it wrong? It wasn't a case of wrong piece of cutlery was it?

Though as a lefty everytime it got to a dish only using spoons It would be punishment time.Or dessert (I have a preference for using more of the cake fork than the spoon and again in the mirror image of what it should be)

Hope you had a good bday. Mine is in Easter so never gets celebrated properly, although last year we did a cocktail party. Tooo much absinthe...
    I have a healthy repect for that particular beast vague memories of being carried home...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    That just makes it too easy! :p:
    predictably he had syphillis probably worth screening for other nasties on board too...

ReputationRep:
    just the F-word. Only one and it is 3 weeks away and this is without revision but still...I wanted a bit of a break. The fact that the paper is sort of synoptic for the last two years aswell annoys me.

Well done on the race for life!
    Thanks I've just made myself a cooked breakie of garlic mushrooms, spinach, eggs, potato bread and smoked bacon! NOMNOMNOM.

Thats a pretty impressive score for 3 weeks prior to the exams, it's crazy how much you can learn in three weeks so I think you'll be fine! Oh and don't worry about it being synoptic, the exams I've just finished were for my last three years and some of the stuff I 'revised' I was like 'when the hell did we do that?!'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fatal)
    Thanks I've just made myself a cooked breakie of garlic mushrooms, spinach, eggs, potato bread and smoked bacon! NOMNOMNOM.
    Awesome breakie, kudos on the potato bread!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lekky)
    when are you away home?
    About 2 weeks. Lunch?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wangers)
    I have a healthy repect for that particular beast vague memories of being carried home...
    Ah yes. My dirty pint was just absinthe and bolt. I downed it instantly. There was a look of horror on many peoples faces. I was fine apart from the energy drink hyperactivity...well fine considering the alcohol intake...

(Original post by fatal)

Thats a pretty impressive score for 3 weeks prior to the exams, it's crazy how much you can learn in three weeks so I think you'll be fine! Oh and don't worry about it being synoptic, the exams I've just finished were for my last three years and some of the stuff I 'revised' I was like 'when the hell did we do that?!'
    Yeah I am probably stressing for little reason, I did just skim the paper...
    Jealous on the breakfast but I had nutella so ha!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wangers)
    question, so in the context of complications of MI the magic book says:

'persistant RVF presents with high neck veins and hepatic congestion. In the acute stage in sevear cases, Swan Ganz monitoring may show low left sided filling pressures with high right sided pressures. Cardiac output may be improved my plasma expansion in carefully regulated amounts, rather than diuretic therapy which may make the situation worse.'

Why? RHF would have low pulmonary perfusion and low return to the left side, is it saying sod the right heart and improve the systemic perfusion? surely expanding the plasma volume is not good for the failing heart, excluding hypovolemia? Or is it the potassium effects from diuresis??

Help please
    You're right in once sense - careless plasma expansion would bugger the heart.

But what you're missing is the point that the problem becomes one of hypovolaemia - what will the heart start doing if you diuretic the crap out of them and they lose loads of water ---- the heart will beat like a mofo and cardiac output will actually WORSEN - increase the volume slightly and the converse happens - the heart will beat slower and actually help out the failure and be more efficient = better cardiac output.

ReputationRep:
    Ah yes. My dirty pint was just absinthe and bolt. I downed it instantly. There was a look of horror on many peoples faces. I was fine apart from the energy drink hyperactivity...well fine considering the alcohol intake...

Yeah I am probably stressing for little reason, I did just skim the paper...
    Jealous on the breakfast but I had nutella so ha!
    ...I've lived on nutella and toast for the last few days cos I've been too lazy to make proper dinner

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Philosoraptor)
    You're right in once sense - careless plasma expansion would bugger the heart.

But what you're missing is the point that the problem becomes one of hypovolaemia - what will the heart start doing if you diuretic the crap out of them and they lose loads of water ---- the heart will beat like a mofo and cardiac output will actually WORSEN - increase the volume slightly and the converse happens - the heart will beat slower and actually help out the failure and be more efficient = better cardiac output.
    Beat like a mofo! I love it, someone who finally explains physiology in the same terms as me!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fatal)
    ...I've lived on nutella and toast for the last few days cos I've been too lazy to make proper dinner
    I have eaten well this week Sea bass on tuesday and steak with mushroom sauce on wednesday neight of which I had to cook. Then I made pork meatballs with a tomato sauce and spaghetti on thurday and curry on friday. Yesterday was home made burgers. I don't have the stamina to do a roast today though...

I like cooking

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.