Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HPAG)
    I don't think your example or last para contradict with the point I'm making that performance may drop at univ. Based on which James was arguing that these were stupid kids who were pushed. I feel they were just kid who were pushed to perform at their potential 9 but dropped back below their full potential to 7. The 5 which is all they would have achieved if they had not been pushed to not refute my argument.
    True, I suppose they would still get into a better university than they maybe deserve.

Pushy parenting isn't terribly common anyway. I think it's far more common among the (not wealthy) immigrant community than the white middle classes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kingdoo)
    Grade boundaries for pretty much every subject changes every year. This includes course work and I am pretty sure it will change for English although I am not sure about drama because it is performance based.

Edit the examiner can change the marks that you are given and the grades can increase or decrease

Yeah my teachers said for Drama it might change but a lot of the time Drama never works in our favour cos a lot of people don't get the grade they want first time round, but that's in the written, so hopefully if boundaries change by 2 marks for the performance side then it's all good cos it's not gonna change for the written exam I'm guessing? Cos we did the written in Jan. Or can the boundaries change in August from the Jan one?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L'Evil Fish)
    Well it did, I didn't want the relative poverty, just what poor was so I could see if I was poor.

I'll be receiving EMA so I'll say I'm poor :lol:
    Yeh, EMA sounds poor. Shame, I was just starting to like you, but I make a habit of not befriending poor people. Wouldn't want someone seeing me with them; you can see how that would be embarrassing. I'd be the laughing stock of the country club.

ReputationRep:
    My friend found out today that he has his place, got a letter of acceptance in the post. Did not think they would come this early! It's for English Literature at Aberystwyth btw!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PythianLegume)
    Pushy parenting works. It might not be the best method, but the children of pushy parents tend to be much smarter than average.
    they're not necessarily smarter, just better trained to pass exams, parrot fashion. and handed opportunities those of us without family connections and wealth have to work hard for.

I have a friend with a theology offer from oxford who everyone agrees isn't incredibly "smart" that is, intelligent, but because she went to a very good private school and played the game she's put herself in a good position.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HPAG)
    Don't stress i'm pretty sure you'll get in, you did work so hard.

So is your firm better than your brothers that you get laughing rights ?:cool:
    Aww thanks. Well, they are on a similar level. But my brother didn't get in first time so he had to wait a year and then take a foundation year at a different university to get to the university where he is now. So I kinda already have laughing rights, he just doesn't realize it. :^_^:

ReputationRep:
    Why are we the last to know our results? We should have the right to know them first

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kettlechips)
    they're not necessarily smarter, just better trained to pass exams, parrot fashion. and handed opportunities those of us without family connections and wealth have to work hard for.

I have a friend with a theology offer from oxford who everyone agrees isn't incredibly "smart" that is, intelligent, but because she went to a very good private school and played the game she's put herself in a good position.
    I agree that the children of pushy parents do better than their intellect might predict. However, I suspect that friend is still smarter than average, even if he isn't 'Oxford level' of smart. My point was that pushing your child to engage in education and encouraging them will make them smarter. It's purely a practice effect - if you force your child to do extra work, they will become smarter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bunny96)
    Why are we the last to know our results? We should have the right to know them first
    But imagine the stress if you didn't meet the grades, but had to wait a week to see whether you'd got in.

ReputationRep:
    But imagine the stress if you didn't meet the grades, but had to wait a week to see whether you'd got in.
    Yeah I guess you're right
    I'm just finding all this waiting really difficult

ReputationRep:
    Probably should have done this in chemistry unit 5:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ve_1995)
    Haha same, I lose track of what day of the week it is! I'll probably be a nervous wreck by wednesday though :/
    DOn't worry, think of it like I do- it's too late to do anything about the grades. Worrying was for the exams, not results day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Silcce)
    Ahhh, add me: silvve
    Done

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by popnit)
    Where is this expressed?
    i emailed them and thats wat they replied bk to me

ReputationRep:
    I am sick of reading this education debate! I read enough and studied enough at AS level Sociology in the education module to know that there is inequality in the education system to a certain extent, it's a proven fact... I don't care if 'richer' people do better than me however, good for them. I'm happy to try my best and that's all any of us can do these days Good luck everyone

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jessie7003)
    I am sick of reading this education debate! I read enough and studied enough at AS level Sociology in the education module to know that there is inequality in the education system to a certain extent, it's a proven fact... I don't care if 'richer' people do better than me however, good for them. I'm happy to try my best and that's all any of us can do these days Good luck everyone
    But it's fun and interesting to debate these things.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cryl)
    Aww thanks. Well, they are on a similar level. But my brother didn't get in first time so he had to wait a year and then take a foundation year at a different university to get to the university where he is now. So I kinda already have laughing rights, he just doesn't realize it. :^_^:
    Cool.:cool: Best of luck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kettlechips)
    Pushy parenting ≠ wealth and connections. My family have always pushed me to do as well as I can so that I can be in a better position than them when I am their age. They realise they haven't always taken the best paths in their lives and they want me to do well for myself. I am extremely grateful to my parents for their attitude towards my work at school. They aren't wealthy and I don't go to private school, nor I have never had a private tutor.

ReputationRep:
    I think you'll find that richer people tend to get into better universities because they are more intelligent. I don't think it's fair that rich kids are more intelligent, but it is an undeniable fact. Wealth is strongly correlated with intelligence, but that correlation is mostly coincidental - you don't need money to raise a smart child.

There's just so much stupid in this paragraph I'm not even going to attempt to question it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Where'sPerry?)
    Pushy parenting ≠ wealth and connections. My family have always pushed me to do as well as I can so that I can be in a better position than them when I am their age. They realise they haven't always taken the best paths in their lives and they want me to do well for myself. I am extremely grateful to my parents for their attitude towards my work at school. They aren't wealthy and I don't go to private school, nor I have never had a private tutor.
    There's a difference between pushy and supportive, but I completely agree with you. As I said earlier, I think pushy parenting is more common among the immigrant community, rather than rich, white, middle class people.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.