Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Green_Pink)
    In my opinion they have strong views on social reform, the consitution, that kind of thing, but economically they seem very open to suggestion. They go along with austerity, but as a 'necessary evil' rather than as an ideology like the Tories do (I know they'd deny that, but see Cameron's infamous Endless Austerity speech to illustrate my point). They haven't expressed much preference either way on issues such as the involvement of the private sector in the NHS. As far as the economy goes, they seem interested in one-off issues directly relating to individuals, like increasing the income tax threshold, but there isn't much of a coherent ideological viewpoint that holds any of it together.

I'm not a Blairite, but he did have a vision and a direction he wanted to take us in. He was a big proponent of the mixed economy model, keeping state ownership but not expanding it and introducing all sorts of private finance initiative and partnerships, contracting out services and the like, in the name of saving money and increasing efficiency. I've never seen the Lib Dems really say that's something they completely believe in and want to pursue.
    Personally i do think that the Libs know what they believe in but the problem is that they tie themselves on social issues and are divided on economic issues. One can tell they stand for constitutional change and more liberal social values but economically i think there's a split between those who are more classically liberal and those who are social democrats. I think trips them up because they have no unified belief beyond no tax on the poor on the biggest issue for the electorate, though they are probably very clear and unified on the things most people view as relatively unimportant.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    One of many

:woo: WAR!!! :israel:
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Unfortunately Limitless21 has decided to resign his MP post, so That Bearded Man has been recalled from his loan to the Greens to fill the space until the GE.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by RayApparently)
    X
    You're now the OP of this thread, so hopefully you can edit now.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Birchington)
    You're now the OP of this thread, so hopefully you can edit now.
    Thank you, can I get the next two posts as well - those are the ones that really need changing.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by RayApparently)
    Thank you, can I get the next two posts as well - those are the ones that really need changing.
    That has been done.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Birchington)
    That has been done.
    Much appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    Can I ask the opinion of the Labour Party on local councils who obstruct football (soccer) clubs from developing, forcing them temporarily to relocate outside the council area, but who are happy to have rugby union clubs parachute into the area?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by barnetlad)
    Can I ask the opinion of the Labour Party on local councils who obstruct football (soccer) clubs from developing, forcing them temporarily to relocate outside the council area, but who are happy to have rugby union clubs parachute into the area?
    Rugby > Football

But seriously, if it's the example I'm guessing you're on about (going by the username) then I'm hardly a neutral party to answer this question.

ReputationRep:
    Labour is my favourite political party.
    It would be my pleasure to participate in a Labour discussion.

And my question to Labour party is: the tuition fee.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Do the members of TSR Labour have any preference for a candidate in the RL Labour Leadership elections?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by The Financier)
    Do the members of TSR Labour have any preference for a candidate in the RL Labour Leadership elections?
    Potentially Tristram Hunt, with Chuka Umunna as Chancellor. Perhaps a more likely preference would be Chuka to lead the party.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Financier)
    Andy Burnham.

Chuka is the next Blair, I'd bet my French properties on him being such! :adore:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yanyul)
    Labour is my favourite political party.
    It would be my pleasure to participate in a Labour discussion.

And my question to Labour party is: the tuition fee.
    Are you referring to the Labour plan to cut fees to £6000?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by tehFrance)
    Chuka is the next Blair, I'd bet my French properties on him being such! :adore:
    I certainly hope so. With this election being almost a repeat of 1992 (polls get it totally wrong, unpopular Tory PM re-elected as the alternative is even worse, smallish majority held to ransom by eurosceptics) I'm hoping for a 1997-style landslide next time. Chuka's the man to do it.
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Saracen's Fez)
    I certainly hope so. With this election being almost a repeat of 1992 (polls get it totally wrong, unpopular Tory PM re-elected as the alternative is even worse, smallish majority held to ransom by eurosceptics) I'm hoping for a 1997-style landslide next time. Chuka's the man to do it.
    Lets just hope Labour don't take us into another, arguably illegal, war

Personally, I'd prefer Andy Burnham, but Chuka would do well too.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saracen's Fez)
    Let's hope that doesn't mean we're in for illegal wars, more tuition fees, maddening accounting schemes like PFI that are meant to help us build public services and instead put us into gigantic amounts of debt, deregulation of the finance sector and ever-closer ties to Europe. It's only marginally more appealing the the Tory regime.

With my serious head on, I don't think it's going to happen either. Between 1997 and 2010, Labour lost 5 million voters. Most of them haven't gone to the Tories, they've either gone to UKIP, the Greens via the Lib Dems or above all else just stopped turning up. It's going to take more than an incompetent Tory government to bring them back - that would at most win Labour the centre ground and give them a smallish majority. To repeat the successes Blair enjoyed at first they will have to entirely re-build themselves as a party that appeals to the working class as well as the middle, and Chuka is most certainly not the man to do that.

If I was a Labour member and I was concerned purely with electoral success rather than ideology my choice would likely be Andy Burnham as someone who can successfully do this without even further isolating middle England or being unrealistically far to the left. I'm not a massive fan but he's the best chance they have.

ReputationRep:
    I feel the need to point out that Cameron himself is not unpopular, it's the party that is.

Also to GP, Burnham is one of the most left candidates. Unless i've got him totally wrong, he'd be even further left than Miliband.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 17, 2018
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.