Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zürich)
    Sanchez was the best player in Serie A for Udinese
    Sanchez was one of the player of the tournament at the WC
    Sanchez was arguably Barca's best player last season
    Guardiola, Wenger, Rodgers and Juve all think he's mustard

But some random fella on a student forum reckons he's **** innit so what does that all matter, let's focus on a 12 month period when he was poor.

His final ball probably is sub par but so was Freddy Ljungberg and Overmars' and they're PL legends ! He's more of a forward than a winger anyway.
    He did well at Udinese. It's Udinese ffs. Gervinho did well for Lille too and has done well for Roma. Callejon has done well for Napoli so is he therefore mustard then?

Luis got into team of the tournament and Messi got golden ball despite being absolutely terrible in the final and being **** for majority of games bar the 1 moment of magic each game. What is your point.

Juve thinking he's mustard and Liverpool thinking he's mustard is funny. It's Sanchez or Adam Lallana ffs and Juve pretty much stopped their interest as they got priced out.

I'm calling on you to majorly criticize Sanchez at least once this season. That's my prediction. Anyway whole Arsenal team played poor today(not a dig) so there's no need to single out Sanchez. But the people using Messi comparisons at Arsenal and people saying he's **** are just deluded people with victim complexes. Just because Ozil and Sanchez had clear faults in their games that I'm not worried about pointing out doesn't mean I or other posters have a vendetta or schaudenfraude against Arsenal. E.g. I have not criticized the signings of Chambers or Debuchy in a footballing ability sense (bar price for Debuchy's age but we bought Filipe for 20M so same issue) because I know they are good signings.

Finally lol at Sanchez being Barca's best player last season. Do you watch Barca? It's still Messi. They are still completely reliant on Messi whenever he plays on the pitch. Just because Sanchez and Fabregas do well because he got injured do not mean that they were the best players last season.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tom_Ford)
    I'm sure if Messi signed for us these same people would be complaining that he would not be able to handle the cold rainy nights at the Britannia :rolleyes:.
    You can tell when someone decides not to rate a player, and then comes up with the reasons after.

''Dont fancy that Tony Adams, too slow''

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zürich)
    You can tell when someone decides not to rate a player, and then comes up with the reasons after.

''Dont fancy that Tony Adams, too slow''
    Funny thing is that I've been criticizing Sanchez for a good 2 years. I dislike the player and it's something that playing good for 4 games in the summer can't rectify. **** it Torres got golden ball in 2 of the last three international tournaments ffs.

Dunno about butty but I have been criticizing Sanchez for ages.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam278)
    Funny thing is that I've been criticizing Sanchez for a good 2 years. I dislike the player and it's something that playing good for 4 games in the summer can't rectify. **** it Torres got golden ball in 2 of the last three international tournaments ffs.

Fabregas has been nowhere near world class since he joined Barca.

ReputationRep:
    Fabregas has been nowhere near world class since he joined Barca.
    You don't watch la liga do you?

He tends to play world class for half a season then fade near the end of the season.

He had the same problem at Arsenal tbh.

Problem is that Fabregas plays best in the positions occupied by Iniesta and Messi. So he's not going to look WC when those two are ahead of him in his preferred position.

ReputationRep:
    You don't watch la liga do you?

He tends to play world class for half a season then fade near the end of the season.

He had the same problem at Arsenal tbh.

Problem is that Fabregas plays best in the positions occupied by Iniesta and Messi. So he's not going to look WC when those two are ahead of him in his preferred position.
    A world class player does not play well for half a season and then fade near the end. That is like saying the Arsenal team from last season was world class. Played great during the first half, faded near the end. Yet, I don't really see you calling them world class, because they weren't. Try again. Subpar wumming.

ReputationRep:

The whole arsenal squad is ****.

Another trophyless season.

ReputationRep:
    A world class player does not play well for half a season and then fade near the end. That is like saying the Arsenal team from last season was world class. Played great during the first half, faded near the end. Yet, I don't really see you calling them world class, because they weren't. Try again. Subpar wumming.
    Then Ozil is not a world class player

ReputationRep:
    Then Ozil is not a world class player
    Anyone who says he was based on last season and the WC is deluded. He is WC when he has a world class team tactically catered around him.

Diego Costa, also not WC. Criminally overrated.

See, this game is fun.

Edit: The team which wins the main trophies are the world class players. I.e. the top one or two players in their positions.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone who says he was based on last season and the WC is deluded. He is WC when he has a world class team tactically catered around him.

Diego Costa, also not WC. Criminally overrated.

See, this game is fun.
    I know you're a troll. So will let you revel in your own stupidity and stop responding to you.

ReputationRep:
    I know you're a troll. So will let you revel in your own stupidity and stop responding to you.
    Chelsea fan? Do you even know how to read or are you too busy bottling up your piss to throw at opposition fans?

ReputationRep:
    Is a player really world class if he has to have an entire team based around getting something good out of him? :creep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mhsc)
    Is a player really world class if he has to have an entire team based around getting something good out of him? :creep:
    Probably. Because Ozil is probably the best in the world in playing in that niche role.

ReputationRep:
    Probably. Because Ozil is probably the best in the world in playing in that niche role.
    Yeah, that number 10 role is really niche.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mhsc)
    Yeah, that number 10 role is really niche.

Ok, you win. Bye. Costa is still overrated. Cesc is still not world class. Chelsea are still a vulgar chav team run by a Russian criminal. Pointless debate tbh, debating with rival fans is like trying to convince an Israeli that their land was stolen land. Endless and circular masturbatory debate.

ReputationRep:
    Tbh I was just trolling with the **** comment. Wouldn't have said he had a good last season then go back on my word so quickly in saying he scored good goals to mask **** performances.

I guess so with this, there are runners and there are creators. I don't think he's that amazing in either but you could probably get him to do one of the two rules and change mid game. You say he's best as creator in the middle but majority of the time I just see poor final balls even though he's good in his buildup play before the final bit in the box. He's a handful for a defender though tbf and I agree that he tries too much. It does mean that every now and again he'll score a wondergoal though.

Just noticed I've essentially paraphrased this on him being a creator or a finisher/runner but should not be both. I agree. There are players capable of both though. Messi and Bale e.g. I just think that Sanchez is a jack of all trades attacking mid.

Do you think Barcelona utilised him and got anywhere near his potential overall? E.g. he played better when Messi was out. Can you mention any great performances from Sanchez vs parked buses at Barca and his role then? Whether he was a creator or not?

I have a feeling that Sanchez will suffer similar problems to what he encountered at Barca.
    Yeah, your point was something along those lines too. I was more talking in general, I don't see the need to criticise Alexis in particular. You could probably replace him with most en vogue players and they'd show similar limitations if they were required to consistently do all the things that some people expect of Alexis, i.e. break through the defence & take on his markers, create a chance for himself and score. Take Reus, he plays out wide in a team that plays transitional football par excellence and it works great, while at Gladbach (who are called 'Borussia Barcelona' for a reason) he was mostly used as a support striker and given freedom in the middle. Put him out wide in a possession team that relies on him to do all these things and you'd see him struggle too.

Even if you have one of the rare players who are able to do all of it from the wing (IF they exist), that's still a risky way to go against tight defences. You just need good team play & collective effort to create chances and dangerous combinations in the advanced area of the field, if you have that you don't need to rely on one player's individual brilliance, and if you don't than eve e.g. Messi becomes useless out wide (cf. vs Atlético in the CL). Arsenal, like they played today, didn't have that, so it is unfair if you expected Alexis to do that in that game or judged him based on it.

The problem in general is ofc that with Sanogo up front (or last season's Giroud), Arsenal rely on their creative players to contribute to the scoring; and Alexis is the wrong man to do it. As I said, either you create chances around the box through team play and let him be at the end of it (because then his finishing is actually good), or you let him help in build-up play, not both. He can't do that.

Spoiler:
    Show

As for your last paragraph, he always struggled at Barça, at first because the system was still programmed to rely on wingers that prodivded rel. little creative input but huge scoring threat (e.g. Eto'o), then because there was no real system or good team play. He scored more when Messi was out because more chances were created from mf, which was down to Cesc and Messi playing differnet forms of 'false 9' - Cesc dropped deeper, played essentially as a CAM and with Iniesta could feed Alexis with easy chances; Messi was kinda played as a true striker so the transition between the lines wasn't as good so less chances came through the centre & more relied on the wings and there was less space in the middle for Alexis to drift into.

I don't think he'll have the same problems at Arsenal as he did at Barça, at least not necessarily. Wenger doesn't assign strict tactical roles to the players the way it's done at Barça, so with Özil (who likes to drift out wide etc) he should have enough freedom to roam and contribute to the buildup play. Arsenal still need a reliable scorer though, and the problems will only come if you expect Alexis to do both. There are enough ways to make him work and get the best out of him though, e.g. perhaps as an inside forward in a more narrow system with just Walcott and him up front etc

ReputationRep:
    Mata, silva and rooney are better 10s than him in this league alone

edit: forgot Cesc as well

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by baconbutty)
    Mata, silva and rooney are better 10s than him in this league alone

edit: forgot Cesc as well
    Ok. Whatever.

A lion doesn't concern himself with the opinions of pigs (see what I did there?)

ReputationRep:
    Ok. Whatever.
    Also

Iniesta can play it better
    Rakitic
    Messi

I'm one of the biggest ozil supports out there as well so I'm not bias

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by baconbutty)
    Also

Iniesta can play it better
    Rakitic
    Messi

I'm one of the biggest ozil supports out there as well so I'm not bias
    Ok. Whatever.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: September 22, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.