Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by There will be Particles)
    I need to finish module 1, 2, 3 and 4

I revise by making notes then memorising them, a month is ages to do that!
    Yeah true, but I don't know why I'm in panic mode:/ oh well... just one day of relaxing then I'll have to start properly.

Guys, how long do you think it takes to do module 3 and 4 from scratch? and then I need to revise it all the modules and do the papers. I'm hoping a solid week will do it at most?

ReputationRep:
    OOPS! I meant Jan f214 2010

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tobethehero)
    did someone want june 2010 f214 paper? I've still got it:d
    yes please i need it please!!!

ReputationRep:
    hey all
    i know it's christmas and all, but if there is anyone that can clarify the detoxifcation of ethanol for me, i'd be very grateful

I'm using the Heinemann textbook - page 41.

In the text, it basically says:

Ethanol is broken down by the action of the enzyme ethanol dehydrogenase. The resulting compound is ethanal. This is dehydrogenated further by the enzyme ethanal dehydrogenase. The final compound produced is ethanoate (acetate), which is combined with coenzyme A to form acetyl coenzyme A.

But in the diagram below the text, it shows ethanol to ethanal to ethanoic acid to acetyl coenzyme A. I presume they mean that ethanol is turned into ethanal into ethanoic acid and then into acetate...? In the text, where it says "the final compound produced...." they seem to have ignored it being turned into ethanoic acid first?

I know this is a minor point, but I'll rather check than get it wrong

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lola1993)
    hey all
    i know it's christmas and all, but if there is anyone that can clarify the detoxifcation of ethanol for me, i'd be very grateful

I'm using the Heinemann textbook - page 41.

In the text, it basically says:

Ethanol is broken down by the action of the enzyme ethanol dehydrogenase. The resulting compound is ethanal. This is dehydrogenated further by the enzyme ethanal dehydrogenase. The final compound produced is ethanoate (acetate), which is combined with coenzyme A to form acetyl coenzyme A.

But in the diagram below the text, it shows ethanol to ethanal to ethanoic acid to acetyl coenzyme A. I presume they mean that ethanol is turned into ethanal into ethanoic acid and then into acetate...? In the text, where it says "the final compound produced...." they seem to have ignored it being turned into ethanoic acid first?

I know this is a minor point, but I'll rather check than get it wrong
    I'm pretty sure acetate, ethanoic acid and ethanoate are all the same thing. The book isn't very clear on this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TobeTheHero)
    Did someone want June 2010 F214 paper? I've still got it
    oh! yes! i need it indeed!

ReputationRep:
    hey, anyone want to revise and discuss a few points together on msn or something?

ReputationRep:
    I'm pretty sure acetate, ethanoic acid and ethanoate are all the same thing. The book isn't very clear on this.
    Well acetate and ethanoate are the same thing, but ethanoic acid isn't. Guess it's turned into ethanoic acid then into acetate/ethanoate... that's how it's normally done in chemistry - (not sure if you do chemistry or not )

ReputationRep:
    Well acetate and ethanoate are the same thing, but ethanoic acid isn't. Guess it's turned into ethanoic acid then into acetate/ethanoate... that's how it's normally done in chemistry - (not sure if you do chemistry or not )
    i do chemistry as well. In biology they often call ethanoic acid as ethanoate/acetate and lactic acid as lactate which technically is not correct but biology we need to use those

ReputationRep:
    what is this stretch and challange thing about?

ReputationRep:
    i do chemistry as well. In biology they often call ethanoic acid as ethanoate/acetate and lactic acid as lactate which technically is not correct but biology we need to use those
    Aah, OK, I wasn't aware of that. jeeez, biologists eh?!
    thank you for clearing that up

ReputationRep:
    Aah, OK, I wasn't aware of that. jeeez, biologists eh?!
    thank you for clearing that up
    haha yep, i prefer chemistry to biology. Which spec are you doing for Chem?

ReputationRep:
    haha yep, i prefer chemistry to biology. Which spec are you doing for Chem?
    OCR A. I prefer Chemistry - more boring than biology but waaayyy easier imo!

ReputationRep:
    There is very little difference in terms of structure between acetate and ethanoic acid. Acetate being CH3COO- and ethanoic acid being CH3COOH. I think this can be overlooked in biology.

ReputationRep:
    I feel Soo lonely for my f215 thread. =(

ReputationRep:
    Oh yes please

ReputationRep:
    OOPS! I meant Jan f214 2010
    go on then

ReputationRep:
    Can I have it too?:flutter:

ReputationRep:
    Yesssss please!!!

ReputationRep:
    Just revising respiration and am wondering how much I should write in my notes for the learning outcome "evaluate the experimental evidence for the theory of chemiosmosis"? If anyone knows of any examination questions which assess this learning outcome, they'd be really useful too.
    Hope revision is going well for everyone!

Oh, and I just found this on the internet. It's a powerpoint covering the Photosynthesis and Respiration topics: http://www.franciscombeacademy.org.u...dules3and4.pdf

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 7, 2016

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.