Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Also for gcse Certs you'll only have to have the English and maths I imagine so don't waste money getting ones you don't need! Check with your uni though!
    Yes, why did you quit!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lilymc)
    Hi, I am just wondering if someone who is already on a PGCE course could advise me on a problem I have. I have lost all of my GCSE and A'level certificates. I am wondering, do I have to show these if I get an interview at a university. Or at what stage? Has anyone been through this and had to send off for certificates?

I was looking up about lost certs and one award body only offers a statement of results, is this acceptable?

I do have my Alevel results statement you receive when you first get your results, would this be sufficient?

Any advice from anyone who has experienced this recently would be greatly appreciated.

Lily
    Hi Lily

I had interviews at 3 different institutions; all of them wanted to see all my certificates at interview (originals). All of them were in the North West, if that's of any help or interest. Definitely worth gettin them regardless though, you're gonna need them x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by myblueheaven339)
    What made you quit?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    PM me if you want to know it's too personal to write on forum

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ratchit99)
    Also for gcse Certs you'll only have to have the English and maths I imagine so don't waste money getting ones you don't need! Check with your uni though!
    Yes, why did you quit!!
    Good point, most jobs only want those as well unless there's something else especially relevant.

In fact, thinking about it I think most graduate jobs take that you had the GCSEs from your degree, it's only the a levels they might want to see. It's more mid range jobs.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JamesManc)
    Quit my PGCE today ha (technically interrupted), but I have the opportunity to go back next year if wanted
    Hope you're ok

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    If you've not got your original certificates you'll be expected to get a Certified Statement of Results from each exam board if you have qualifications from multiple. These are normally shown at interview.

ReputationRep:
    My placement officially starts on Monday and, after my great induction on Wednesday, I am very excited!!

I've enjoyed the uni part of the course a lot but have had times of self doubt in workshops, often comparing myself with others who seem to know so much more! It will be good for me to get into placement and the more practical side of things, I think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Esmeralda4)
    My placement officially starts on Monday and, after my great induction on Wednesday, I am very excited!!

I've enjoyed the uni part of the course a lot but have had times of self doubt in workshops, often comparing myself with others who seem to know so much more! It will be good for me to get into placement and the more practical side of things, I think.
    The number one thing you shouldn't do on your PGCE is compare yourself to anyone on your course. I heard it all too - "I've had a years experience doing such and such' etc but at the end of the day when you're all thrown into placements everyone starts on an equal footing. Some talk the talk and are the first to start moaning or don't get on with their mentors. Just focus on your journey alone, it will be different to everyone else's.

You learn about teaching by doing it but stepping back and reflecting is also important. Take advantage now as the NQT year is so much more full on and intense IMO.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steveluis10)
    The number one thing you shouldn't do on your PGCE is compare yourself to anyone on your course. I heard it all too - "I've had a years experience doing such and such' etc but at the end of the day when you're all thrown into placements everyone starts on an equal footing. Some talk the talk and are the first to start moaning or don't get on with their mentors. Just focus on your journey alone, it will be different to everyone else's.

You learn about teaching by doing it but stepping back and reflecting is also important. Take advantage now as the NQT year is so much more full on and intense IMO.
    Thanks for the input. :-) I have definitely seen the benefits of being in uni and having that I input before going into school, though it has been a bit of a challenge to get used to studying as opposed to working again!

But I know I need to focus on me and not on other people! Hopefully being in school will give me the chance to do that and to work on my own teaching practice.

I hope your NQT year is going okay.

ReputationRep:
    So presentation went well today, and met my school mentor. She was lovely but now I'm even more nervous because I don't want to disappoint her!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ratchit99)
    So presentation went well today, and met my school mentor. She was lovely but now I'm even more nervous because I don't want to disappoint her!
    Aw don't worry - I don't think they're expecting us to be fantastic teachers straight away. :-) I know what you mean though, my mentor is so nice as well and it seems like we're going to get on great which will make it weird when she's giving feedback etc.

ReputationRep:
    Lol, yeah. I just felt bad as I come from a systems administrator role in computing so I've had to teach myself to program over the summer ( not required in my job!) and one of her first questions was what programming language I did and I had to be like errr I didn't do programming at my job so have had to self teach over the summer...already kind of feel that that probably disappointed her a bit!

ReputationRep:
    I have one week of uni left until my placement begins. I have had such an overload of info and I have felt soo tired but am really enjoying it. Just got to do well on placement (do not want to disappoint!) and start reading for my masters essay :eek:

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone, first proper week of uni over with...so much to do and take in! I am enjoying it so far, so it's all good.

We have to write an action plan for our first Review Point, and I am a bit stuck. I have written about increasing subject knowledge, being organised, etc, but my tutor suggested I put something in about the Teacher's Standards, possibly number 8 (professionalism). Since we haven't been in school yet, I am not sure what to do. I was wondering whether I could link something about subject knowledge to this part of the Standards
    • "take responsibility for improving teaching through appropriate professional development, responding to advice and feedback from colleagues"

Or maybe something about developing professional relationships... I am not sure. I don't want to write the wrong thing and look like a wally!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adastraz)
    Hey everyone, first proper week of uni over with...so much to do and take in! I am enjoying it so far, so it's all good.

We have to write an action plan for our first Review Point, and I am a bit stuck. I have written about increasing subject knowledge, being organised, etc, but my tutor suggested I put something in about the Teacher's Standards, possibly number 8 (professionalism). Since we haven't been in school yet, I am not sure what to do. I was wondering whether I could link something about subject knowledge to this part of the Standards
    • "take responsibility for improving teaching through appropriate professional development, responding to advice and feedback from colleagues"

Or maybe something about developing professional relationships... I am not sure. I don't want to write the wrong thing and look like a wally!
    There is no wrong answer, so don't panic!

Both your ideas sound good if you're going in to school soon I'd also suggest maybe something about attending staff meetings, our writing a reflection on your teaching each day. Since they are quite easily measurable.

At the end of the day you're gonna be working on them all in little bits anyway. Don't feel you're not doing well because it is a tough thing to get used to. I've completed my NQT year and am still perfecting my skills in gathering evidence and keeping track of the standards.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Completed my first day of orientation on placement today. Love it so much at the moment...I have a big class though, lots of names to learn! Lol.

ReputationRep:
    Completed my first day of orientation on placement today. Love it so much at the moment...I have a big class though, lots of names to learn! Lol.
    You'll learn them pretty quick. I learnt about 30 of mine within 2-3 days.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peachz)
    You'll learn them pretty quick. I learnt about 30 of mine within 2-3 days.
    That is reassuring!!

ReputationRep:
    30s nothing! Try having nearly 200 to learn! and I don't see them all every day.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I've just started my first placement and I'm feeling more than a bit lost in terms of support from the uni and getting useful info from them, and in the fact that its a very different school to what I'm used to! (challenging inner city school...) Everybody else on my course seems to have got much nicer schools...
    Even in school I feel like I have no idea what I'm supposed to be doing...
    I know I'm probably jumping the gun before I've properly started but has anyone had a similar experience? Please help!!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.