Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tohaaaa)
    Yeah, Indians are good at IT/Medicine if I'm not mistaken?
    Yea I guess

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arunthathy)
    Yea I guess

Posted from TSR Mobile
    But, is it the Asian education system who is superior to ours? Or are the children better disciplined by there parents?

(Original post by tohaaaa)
    But, is it the Asian education system who is superior to ours? Or are the children better disciplined by there parents?
    The Asian education system is actually pretty bad in some cases.. In the uk we learn the theory and logic behind what we do whereas in Asia you're just supposed to memorise what you're told to, you're given a book and you learn it yourself... It's pretty good for things like times tables or medical/scientific terms but not that great for English or other bits of maths.

That's just what I know though...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Obviously no offense is intended in this post and it is obviously not the case for all students. I think Asian parents create a fear of failure in their children early on. I'm Asian but my mum doesn't put pressure on me because she knows I can work hard by myself. However, if I was to fail my A-Levels and not go to University she would be very disappointed (but not like those Asian mums who just ignore their children). In white families it is taught that school isn't everything and there are other ways to be successful in this world. White parents want the best for their children but they do not place as much emphasis on academics. Again I would like to stress that I'm not talking about everyone here, just a general trend.

ReputationRep:
    I'm Asian but my mum doesn't put pressure on me because she knows I can work hard by myself
    Exactly. I know a few relatives that have been put in alot of pressure to do well in there exams but actually failed; the parents started to realize not be very strict on them and somehow the ''relatives'' younger brother/sister actually passed there exams because the parents didn't discipline as much as the other person.

By the way I'm new to this forum. I hope all of you do well in your exams. I still have one year to go

Good luck all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Piledriver)
    I haven't :eek: I'm disappointed in myself, I thought I'd seen them all! I'll have to search for it now
    Haha il try and send the link if i can find it!

ReputationRep:
    I'm so scared. Last year in my Geography exam I didn't do so good, I had to resit. Ugh, i'm so hopeless in all my subjects.

ReputationRep:
    Right I'm really annoyed right now.
    Basically, my parents just don't care about my exams or my results next week. I'm predicted about 8 A*s and 3 As and they just don't give a sh**!! I know that most people would kill for grades like that and other people's parents would be overjoyed if their kid had results like mine but my parents literally don't even say well done! It makes me feel like sh**.
    On Thursday, I guarantee that they won't even celebrate my results if I get my predicted grades. It sucks 😣

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sophie97)
    Right I'm really annoyed right now.
    Basically, my parents just don't care about my exams or my results next week. I'm predicted about 8 A*s and 3 As and they just don't give a sh**!! I know that most people would kill for grades like that and other people's parents would be overjoyed if their kid had results like mine but my parents literally don't even say well done! It makes me feel like sh**.
    On Thursday, I guarantee that they won't even celebrate my results if I get my predicted grades. It sucks ������

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Sorry to hear that Do you have any caring older brothers/sisters that you can celebrate with? Have you tried raising this issue with your parents? Yh and your grades are amazing What's given you the impression that they don't care

Edit: Maybe they don't care as much because they know that you can motivate yourself and so maybe pay less attention, that's sometimes the case with me ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr234)
    Sorry to hear that Do you have any caring older brothers/sisters that you can celebrate with? Have you tried raising this issue with your parents? Yh and your grades are amazing What's given you the impression that they don't care

Edit: Maybe they don't care as much because they know that you can motivate yourself and so maybe pay less attention, that's sometimes the case with me ?
    Yeah I have two older sisters who are great but they live in London so the best I'll get is a phone call :/ I guess that's true about my parents but surely that shouldn't stop them from saying 'well done'. I've been given this impression because whenever I tell them my modular results they just don't care- even when I did my Spanish GCSE in year 9 and got an A* my dad literally only gave me a nod of appreciation!! They just think I didn't have to try in my exams because they think that GCSEs are easy, but I have to try so hard to get the results I do!
    Thanks btw

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm sooooo nervous about English Language i got 55/80 in January, it was 56 for an A last year so I did'nt go to the resit and now im regretting it because i need to pass.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChronicBoredom)
    If I take Chemistry, Physics and Maths to A2, what are my possible options for degrees??

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I wouldn't advise Medicine because most universities want Biology.I wouldn't advise Maths/Physics because both really want Further Maths and definetley not Engineering because you are going to need Further Maths.Chemistry is a great idea because you only need Chemistry and Maths for that and thats a great set of A-Levels for Natural Sciences.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dalek1099)
    I wouldn't advise Medicine because most universities want Biology.I wouldn't advise Maths/Physics because both really want Further Maths and definetley not Engineering because you are going to need Further Maths.Chemistry is a great idea because you only need Chemistry and Maths for that and thats a great set of A-Levels for Natural Sciences.
    Incorrect... You can get into loads of unis for medicine without biology.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arunthathy)
    what subject grades is everyone else getting?
    RE
    French
    Maths
    Further Maths
    Geography
    Additional Science
    PE(Double Award
    ICT(Double Award)
    Business(Double Award)

I have already got results in:
    German A (Year 9)
    English Literature A*(Year 10)
    English Language A*(Year 10)
    Core Science A*(Year 10)

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm... 3 or 4 A2 subjects if you're trying to get into Cambridge?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sophie97)
    Yeah I have two older sisters who are great but they live in London so the best I'll get is a phone call :/ I guess that's true about my parents but surely that shouldn't stop them from saying 'well done'. I've been given this impression because whenever I tell them my modular results they just don't care- even when I did my Spanish GCSE in year 9 and got an A* my dad literally only gave me a nod of appreciation!! They just think I didn't have to try in my exams because they think that GCSEs are easy, but I have to try so hard to get the results I do!
    Thanks btw

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Aw that sucks Yh i think some people think GCSE's are too easy and therefore don't really care about GCSE results, maybe they'll pay more attention ur doing you're A-levels, but yh i agree they should give you more than a nod of appreciation! It's okay Let me know you're parents reaction on results day!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jatz07)
    I'm sure 63 is an A*, but wait until they come out to be sure

Jatz
    Jatz what do you reckon 55 will be?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dalek1099)
    A lot of uni's don't need bio for medicine, actually.. plus you don't need further maths for engineering..

ReputationRep:
    Hello! This may not be relevant/the right thread to post this in, but maybe somebody could help me out.

Long story short, I recently got a job at M&S, and my induction days are the 21st and 22nd of August, the latter being results day. The days last from 9-5, and I informed them that I am supposed to collect my results at 9 on the second day. I then said that it was fine, as a relative could pick them up on my behalf. However, they have now changed the hours from 10-5, just so I can get my results. But my place of work is at most a 30 minute drive from my school, and I need to get back for 10 o'clock sharp. Does anyone know if I will have enough time to get my results and get to my induction before I am late? My school opens at 9 to collect them, so I'm hoping I'll be in and out in 10-20 minutes, but I thought I'd ask just incase anybody knows exactly how long it will take. Please reply if anyone can give me some advice, thank you!

ReputationRep:
    Anyone here planning on doing the EPQ?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.