Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

The Labour Party Q&A Thread - Ask/Join here! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    I feel the need to point out that Cameron himself is not unpopular, it's the party that is.

Also to GP, Burnham is one of the most left candidates. Unless i've got him totally wrong, he'd be even further left than Miliband.
    When I said not ridiculously left I meant excluding the line of McDonnell/Corbyn/Skinner/Abbot. I do think he's to the left of Miliband but that isn't a bad thing for Labour: when polled the public are seemingly on the left despite the election result, believing that austerity was either never needed or that we've had enough of it, key industries should be nationalised and the private sector should be kept well away from the NHS. The crucial things for Labour to do over the next five years in my eyes is this:

a) Challenge the rhetoric that overspending caused the economic crash. Explain that it was the fault of a broken financial system that urgently needs to be regulated and reformed lest history repeat itself. Paint the Tories as being in denial about this, putting the interests of the City first and leaving the public open to a potential catastrophe. This is likely to be even more effective if the Tories deal with the deficit for them - in such a situation they NEED to make sure the economic argument next time round isn't simply "Labour's incompetent" vs "No we're not!" which is a losing battle.
    b) Re-align themselves with working class voters to increase turnout and stop the UKIP surge. Burnham is idle here - in terms of his persona he's a clear break from the last three leaders and he isn't afraid to talk about Europe and immigration, but doesn't annoy anyone with xenophobic nonsense either.
    c) Have a solid and ideologically based policy agenda with a simple, clear narrative. No politikspeak, no gimmicks (One-year prize freeze and so-called rent controls!), no bloody pre-distribution. "We are being ripped off by banks, train operators and energy companies. So we'll regulate the bankers, nationalise the railways and stop the profits from your electricity bill going to Energie de France. And we'll help you out by increasing the minimum wage to the living wage, stopping you being ripped off by your bosses. This will have a cost to the government of (insert polite term for the square root of ****-all), improve your life and stabalise the economy.

ReputationRep:
    Congratulations Labour on your election victory!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by That Bearded Man)
    Are you referring to the Labour plan to cut fees to £6000?
    Yes!
    Because with £9000 as tuition fee is too much burden for me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yanyul)
    Yes!
    Because with £9000 as tuition fee is too much burden for me
    You understand that you don't pay it in cash, you take a loan right?

And the only way you pay it off is by earning money, so the richer you get the more you pay, which seems like a pretty left wing policy imo.

It's just idiots who think they're paying the loan up front or something.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by reallydontknow)
    You understand that you don't pay it in cash, you take a loan right?

And the only way you pay it off is by earning money, so the richer you get the more you pay, which seems like a pretty left wing policy imo.

It's just idiots who think they're paying the loan up front or something.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Its still the principle of paying the highest fees in europe and a new stealth income tax. The Intrest rate is far more than 0% and basically most people wont even pay it back so its just more tax to pay by the middle class.
    Tuition fee reform wasnt about saving money but idealogical attack on education funding
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    It is with great pleasure that I can announce Labour's 15 representatives in the 21st Parliament. They will form the backbone of our party, and I look forward to working with each of them this coming term.
    1. RayApparently (Party Leader)
    2. The Legal Eagle (Deputy Leader)
    3. Saracen's Fez (Party Chair)
    4. That Bearded Man
    5. King Stannis
    6. honeywell17
    7. James222
    8. Stickman
    9. DanE1998
    10. Political wizard
    11. InnerTemple
    12. junaidk7
    13. RotatingPhasor
    14. StatusRed
    15. St. Brynjar
    -RA

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RayApparently)
    It is with great pleasure that I can announce Labour's 15 representatives in the 21st Parliament. They will form the backbone of our party, and I look forward to working with each of them this coming term.
    4. That Bearded Man
    5. King Stannis
    6. honeywell17
    7. James222
    8. Stickman
    9. DanE1998
    10. Political wizard
    11. InnerTemple
    12. junaidk7
    13. RotatingPhasor
    14. StatusRed
    15. St. Brynjar
    -RA
    Can you confirm that none of these are dual members or seat sharers (Brynjar jumps out, i thought he was green)?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Can you confirm that none of these are dual members or seat sharers (Brynjar jumps out, i thought he was green)?
    He defected. There are no seat shares, no dual-members.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Mr Speaker, the Labour MP list is as shown here.
    4. That Bearded Man
    5. King Stannis
    6. honeywell17
    7. James222
    8. Stickman
    9. DanE1998
    10. Political wizard
    11. Enoxial
    12. junaidk7
    13. RotatingPhasor
    14. StatusRed
    15. St. Brynjar

ReputationRep:
    Do any Labour members intend to back Liz Kendall for the leadership now that she has backing of Chucka as the prominent Blairite.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Do any Labour members intend to back Liz Kendall for the leadership now that she has backing of Chucka as the prominent Blairite.
    Kendall is way too right-wing. Probably more so than Umunna would've been.

ReputationRep:
    Kendall is way too right-wing. Probably more so than Umunna would've been.
    Too right wing to win the Labour leadership?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Too right wing to win the Labour leadership?
    Don't know who'll win, but she's too right-wing for my support. Chukka might have got it. I'm with Burnham.

ReputationRep:
    Cant't see Kendall getting close with one member one vote, which was a very sneaky success from Red (at heart) Ed in ensuring trade union dominance of Labour for decades to come. If they outvote the members (basically get enough of the trade unionists to vote since they still vastly outnumber the actual Labour membership base) they can literally choose the winning candidate themselves. The saving grace is the need for the support of 35 MPs which means Burnham will win as the most left-wing member on the ballot rather than some looney left Marxists, but should a few more said loonies win selections in winnable or safe seats then the next leadership election could get VERY interesting...

ReputationRep:
    I'm backing Yvette Cooper. Don't think Kendall will connect with the public terribly well and Burnham doesn't represent enough of a change in my eyes, and would need to have Stella Creasy as deputy to win me over. I'd have backed Keir Starmer originally, and then Dan Jarvis, but alas they dropped out. Cooper/Watson would be nice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Green_Pink)
    Cant't see Kendall getting close with one member one vote, which was a very sneaky success from Red (at heart) Ed in ensuring trade union dominance of Labour for decades to come. If they outvote the members (basically get enough of the trade unionists to vote since they still vastly outnumber the actual Labour membership base) they can literally choose the winning candidate themselves. The saving grace is the need for the support of 35 MPs which means Burnham will win as the most left-wing member on the ballot rather than some looney left Marxists, but should a few more said loonies win selections in winnable or safe seats then the next leadership election could get VERY interesting...
    Remember that the ballots are private. Whilst the unions have influence over their members, they're trying to be constructive and have no control over who their membership ultimately backs.

ReputationRep:
    Don't know who'll win, but she's too right-wing for my support. Chukka might have got it. I'm with Burnham.
    I personally view Chucka just as right wing as her, but a better speaker.

Burnham is by far the most prime ministerial at first glance but i don't think he's really different from Ed in being instinctively left but cautious so i don't think he can win if the Tories finish the job and don't destroy themselves in the referendum.

At any rate, statistics are not on Labour's side. Of the 18 post war elections, only in 3 of them has an opposition gained 90+ seats. It's also notable (though the Tories are no better) that no Labour candidate seems to have a clue what to do about Scotland beyond 'talk to the grassroots'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by St. Brynjar)
    Remember that the ballots are private. Whilst the unions have influence over their members, they're trying to be constructive and have no control over who their membership ultimately backs.
    They were stiLl overwhelmingly successful in getting their members to back Ed last time round and will do so again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Green_Pink)
    They were stiLl overwhelmingly successful in getting their members to back Ed last time round and will do so again.
    I don't see how you can come to that conclusion given the voting system. Last time the affiliated members were given far too big a say. I wanted Ed to get the job so I wasn't exactly up in arms, but it wasn't entirely fair. This time with a private voting system, the result will be much more representative. Regardless, there isn't really a left-wing candidate standing here so they won't be able to play kingmaker to the same extent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by St. Brynjar)
    I don't see how you can come to that conclusion given the voting system. Last time the affiliated members were given far too big a say. I wanted Ed to get the job so I wasn't exactly up in arms, but it wasn't entirely fair. This time with a private voting system, the result will be much more representative. Regardless, there isn't really a left-wing candidate standing here so they won't be able to play kingmaker to the same extent.
    Last time the trade unionists counted for a third of the vote. Now I think it will be well over half, perhaps even two thirds, without the electoral college.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 19, 2018
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.