Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hermiones)
    SMALL SCALE
    Coppicing - cutting a tree close to the ground to encourage new growth, whilst keeping it alive - sustainable. It regrows new shoots over and over to be used

Pollarding - similar to coppicing, but higher up on the tree eg, branches - used when there are lots of deer as the deer eat the growing shoots from coppiced trees so it takes a while to grow back (when it's cut higher they can't reach it)

ROTATIONAL coppicing - dividing woodland into sections and only cutting from that section once a year, until they've all been cut - this means that the ones from the beginning are ready to be cut again as they've left them to grow. Good for biodiversity - different woodland areas provide different habitats (different amounts of light in woodland in diff areas), so biodiversity is larger

LARGER SCALE
    Selective cutting - removing only largest, most valuable trees so habitat isn't affected much

Clear-felling - cutting down ALL the trees in one area at one time - rare in UK, leaves soil susceptible to erosion, soil can run off into waterways and pollute them because there are no trees to protect
    Maaate thanks! Sorry, out of reps!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChoccyPhilly)
    I do not understand why this isn't in my book in the slightest
    It depends on the book, I have 4 different ones, the best one is Heinemann but I got that from 'myrevisionnotes' booklet, with a lizard on it. It's pretty good but may be too late to buy it hahaha. The normal green OCR one with the lizard's eye on it is BULL**** it is so bad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bakedbeans247)
    Timber management guys? Could someone simplify it into bullet points for me please? I would be soo grateful!! Cheers!
    Conservation:

Sustainable management: finding a balance between our needs and away to not damage the environment

Small Scale Timber Production:
    • Coppicing: harvesting wood whilst keeping tree's alive
    • Cutting trunk of decidous tree's a little higher than the ground
    • shoots grow
    • Pollarding, similar tactic but the trunk is cut higher to prevent shoots being eaten by animals.
    • Rotational Coppicing
    • Sectioning tree's into groups
    • some cut, some aren't
    • Cut tree's grow back in time for other tree's to be cut.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bakedbeans247)
    Maaate thanks! Sorry, out of reps!
    No probs, I only joined today anyway so I have no idea what that is hahaha. Good luck for tomorrow :-)

ReputationRep:
    NEW CHAT PAGE IS https://chatstep.com/#bio_f215 we are going over stuff...why not try lol

ReputationRep:
    should be red, vermillion and cinnabar. because V has to be dominant for it to even be any of the other two, also if the middle one isn't dominant therefore even if the third is dominant, it will be limited to the second.
    Just going along with the arrows really, if it's not dominant it cannot be any of the further down the line.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shostakovish)
    That link looks a little dodgy......
    trust me it isn't. there is like 10 people now...trying to get more

ReputationRep:
    what's hybridisation?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    for all you guys pulling all nighters like me
    http://fixyourwritinghabits.tumblr.c...vely-and-still

ReputationRep:
    Hello guys can someone tell me how they got the answer of 22 and 1 for question 3. (c). (i.)

Thank you.

http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/65359-q...nvironment.pdf

p.s. Mark schemes should at least include how they work it out you know =.=

ReputationRep:
    anyone else have the green ocr cgp textbook?

ReputationRep:
    any predictions please anyone? so desperate

ReputationRep:
    can someone please give me a perfect answer for : ''Why is variation important in natural selection''

ReputationRep:
    I have the CGP book, but as well as the Heinemanne - I use the CGP to simplify things, like epistasis

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by YouAgain)
    Hello guys can someone tell me how they got the answer of 22 and 1 for question 3. (c). (i.)

Thank you.

its just absorbed - respired fam

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by YouAgain)

Thank you.

It is the absorbed - respired

ReputationRep:
    ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhh!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ecwsky)
    ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhh!
    stressed?

ReputationRep:
    Hi!

In primary metabolite production, why does the amount of product decrease as the population size of bacteria decreases in the death phase? Shouldn't the amount of product level off, since it's the bacteria that's dying - so how does the product get affected?

I'm referring to the top graph on pg 161 of the purple OCR A2 biology book, if you have it.

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    so can someone outline electrophoresis in bullet points and DNA sequencing

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.