Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Green_Pink)
    Last time the trade unionists counted for a third of the vote. Now I think it will be well over half, perhaps even two thirds, without the electoral college.
    It's hypothetical though, there's no saying what the turnout will be, and Labour are opening out the process to 'supporters' as well as members. All being well it'll lead to a more balanced, even process.

Tbh it really doesn't matter, none of the candidates inspire me much. I'll bet anyone that the leader elected now isn't in charge in 2020. Out of interest, which of the candidates would you be most sympathetic towards?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by St. Brynjar)
    It's hypothetical though, there's no saying what the turnout will be, and Labour are opening out the process to 'supporters' as well as members. All being well it'll lead to a more balanced, even process.

Tbh it really doesn't matter, none of the candidates inspire me much. I'll bet anyone that the leader elected now isn't in charge in 2020. Out of interest, which of the candidates would you be most sympathetic towards?
    That's a hard question, there's a reason I'm not a Labourite But my personal choice would probably be Mary Creagh.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    I personally view Chucka just as right wing as her, but a better speaker.

Burnham is by far the most prime ministerial at first glance but i don't think he's really different from Ed in being instinctively left but cautious so i don't think he can win if the Tories finish the job and don't destroy themselves in the referendum.

At any rate, statistics are not on Labour's side. Of the 18 post war elections, only in 3 of them has an opposition gained 90+ seats. It's also notable (though the Tories are no better) that no Labour candidate seems to have a clue what to do about Scotland beyond 'talk to the grassroots'.
    Since he dropped out so soon I can't say I know that much about his politics besides a few interviews and what I've heard. Kendall seems pretty solidly right though.

To be fair I think a Ed with more charisma and better spin doctors could have won that elections so... *shrug* Maybe Burnham is that guy.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by RayApparently)
    Since he dropped out so soon I can't say I know that much about his politics besides a few interviews and what I've heard. Kendall seems pretty solidly right though.

To be fair I think a Ed with more charisma and better spin doctors could have won that elections so... *shrug* Maybe Burnham is that guy.
    I did fear that Ed's policies might cut through given the backdrop of a Tory party under 40%, the Great Recession and austerity but the Con-Lab swing in England turned out to be 1.1% so i'm fairly certain that the policy arguments were won by the Tories (even if only just) just as much as the leader.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Do any Labour members intend to back Liz Kendall for the leadership now that she has backing of Chucka as the prominent Blairite.
    Yes.

ReputationRep:
    Do any Labour members intend to back Liz Kendall for the leadership now that she has backing of Chucka as the prominent Blairite.
    I am, but that could change.

I believe she would be the most likely to win the next election. Although I'm fundamentally left wing, I believe there's too much inequality and suffering to deny this country a Labour government in 2020, regardless of how right or left it is.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by honeywell17)

I believe she would be the most likely to win the next election. Although I'm fundamentally left wing, I believe there's too much inequality and suffering to deny this country a Labour government in 2020, regardless of how right or left it is.
    Hear hear!
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    I did fear that Ed's policies might cut through given the backdrop of a Tory party under 40%, the Great Recession and austerity but the Con-Lab swing in England turned out to be 1.1% so i'm fairly certain that the policy arguments were won by the Tories (even if only just) just as much as the leader.
    I guess that's something we can't determine for sure. I for one think the Tories completely abandoned any policy argument when the campaign pressure took hold.

ReputationRep:

If the Labour party were to lurch far to the right in an attempt to out-Tory the Tories, would there really be much point in replacing them in 2020?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Blue Meltwater)
    If the Labour party were to lurch far to the right in an attempt to out-Tory the Tories, would there really be much point in replacing them in 2020?
    You could answer this simply by asking yourself 'was the 97-01 government an improvement on Major's', i suspect that most Labour fans would say yes even if the difference was pretty modest (i'm thinking of things they'd like which came in like.. human rights act, minimum wage, more NHS and Health funding, tax credits).

ReputationRep:
    You could answer this simply by asking yourself 'was the 97-01 government an improvement on Major's', i suspect that most Labour fans would say yes even if the difference was pretty modest (i'm thinking of things they'd like which came in like.. human rights act, minimum wage, more NHS and Health funding, tax credits).
    That's a fair point; I'm as fierce a critic of Blair as anyone, but I won't deny their were some good policies during that first term. But even some of the things I most admired about Blair's government - its pro-EU stance, for instance - seem to be shifting among the rightwingers within the party.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blue Meltwater)
    Well I'm pretty certain even the most right wing Labour government wouldn't scrap the human rights act, maintain a bedroom tax or allow absurd policies like fox hunting
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Well I'm pretty certain even the most right wing Labour government wouldn't scrap the human rights act, maintain a bedroom tax or allow absurd policies like fox hunting
    They won't for political reasons but back in 2002 (i think) they were planning to bring in something exactly like it.

That said, the idea is good but the implementation is horrid.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    That said, the idea is good but the implementation is horrid.
    You've hit the nail on the head there.

ReputationRep:
    . Liz Kendall irritates me strongly. Chukka or even Tristram were far better candidates in my book. She also loves petty political point scoring which I strongly dislike.

I've said before Burnham is my candidate and favourite, I know little about Jarvis, Creagh is okay
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    I may well have backed Jarvis if he'd run.

ReputationRep:
    labour messed up with in out ref its going to be a long way back and they all no it can not se any being leader longer than 3 years

ReputationRep:
    I'd hope so. Certainly, I agree I don't think they'd need to pander to the same constituency with issues like fox hunting,

(Original post by RayApparently)
    I may well have backed Jarvis if he'd run.
    I don't know enough about his political viewpoints to comment conclusively, but he seemed to have the potential to be a breath of fresh air.

ReputationRep:
    As a republican party, would the labour party and it's MP's support a bill that to abolish the monarchy?

ReputationRep:
    Isn't jarvis Blairite? I think Liz is the only alternative to him.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 8, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.