Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MathsNerd1)
    What do you mean?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    2n is the sumation of all the coeffecients of a binomial expansion. So you can try to prove it by expanding anything which is raised to a power>4. I'm just suggesting a solution, so I'm not exactly sure wether I'm right or wrong

ReputationRep:
    What do you mean?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    He means the question doesn't require induction, but in my defence, you asked for a proof by induction question
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Felix Felicis)
    He means the question doesn't require induction, but in my defence, you asked for a proof by induction question
    Oh okay and I did indeed, just not quite sure how to even attempt this one :-/

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Well yeah but how much effort do you need to put in to write a random number and then copy and paste it xD
    Ctrl+V doesn't really take more effort than typing '1'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by justinawe)
    Ctrl+V doesn't really take more effort than typing '1'
    Shush Fine fine I concede defeat :lol:

ReputationRep:
    Oh okay and I did indeed, just not quite sure how to even attempt this one :-/

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Spoiler:
    Show

What's another way of expressing (k+1)! ?

ReputationRep:
    What do you mean?
    Ah I should have read the preceding posts, if you're practising induction then carry on. I just meant that induction seems a waste of time on this one, because you can prove the inequality by simply re-writing it.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Spoiler:
    Show

What's another way of expressing (k+1)! ?

Erm (K +1)K! ? I've never really understood how to manipulate factorials :-/

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord of the Flies)
    I was wondering...would you mind having a look at this problem? Proof by example's not permitted apparently

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ok, what've you got so far?

ReputationRep:
    question
    rational+irrational=irrational\rightarrow a+b=c
    where a=x/y and c=v/w as they are rational

this means a+b=c\rightarrow \frac{x}{y}+b=\frac{v}{w}

a+b=c\rightarrow \frac{x}{y}+b=\frac{v}{w} \rightarrow b=\frac{v}{w}-\frac{x}{y}

b=\frac{vy}{wy}-\frac{xw}{wy}\therefore b=\frac{vy-xw}{wy}

Since the RHS is rational (as its a fraction with +ive intergers) B must be rational)
    However at the start of the eq we stated that b= irrational \therefore \frac{vy-xw}{wy} is irrational! This is contradicting so the sum must be irrational

I think I did it right

ReputationRep:
    I was wondering...would you mind having a look at this problem? Proof by example's not permitted apparently
    I did not say that proof by example is not allowed. As my friend who gave me the question said that there is an another way of solving it. He did give a hint related to complex numbers so this must be the way

Proof by example is all right, you just want to find an another solution for it.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Ok, what've you got so far?
    I've got pretty much no where as I'm unsure how to prove on side is greater than another :-/ Could you work through a solution to show me how it's done and I'll see if I'm able to follow it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MAyman12)
    I did not say that proof by example is not allowed. As my friend who gave me the question said that there is an another way of solving it. He did give a hint related to complex numbers so this must be the way

Proof by example is all right, you just want to find an another solution for it.
    That's what I've tried but I wasted most of today trying to and I just want to put my mind to rest.

I've got pretty much no where as I'm unsure how to prove on side is greater than another :-/ Could you work through a solution to show me how it's done and I'll see if I'm able to follow it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I take it you've gotten to the inductive hypothesis that k! > 2^{k} ?

Well, to complete the inductive step, you want to show that (k+1)! > 2^{k+1}

Can you think of how to get to (k+1)! from k! ?

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yes.

It's because,

(k+1)!

= 1 \times 2 \times 3 \times \dots \times k \times (k+1)

= (1 \times 2 \times 3 \times \dots \times k) (k+1) = k!(k+1)
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    That's what I've tried but I wasted most of today trying to and I just want to put my mind to rest.

Isn't it
    Spoiler:
    Show
    k!*(k+1)
    ?
    Edit: Already mentioned
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper

I keep forgetting that what I've assumed in n=K has to be used in the inductive step too, my mistake :-/

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Yes.

It's because,

(k+1)!

= 1 \times 2 \times 3 \times \dots \times k \times (k+1)

= (1 \times 2 \times 3 \times \dots \times k) (k+1) = k!(k+1)
    Okay, thanks I think I can see how to prove it all now

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper

Okay I thought I got it but I couldn't make any sense of it. To express (K+1)! = K!(K+1) but do I now use the fact that K! > 2^k in my induction step, if so then how exactly as this inequality seems to be making me quite cautious

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Okay I thought I got it but I couldn't make any sense of it. To express (K+1)! = K!(K+1) but do I now use the fact that K! > 2^k in my induction step, if so then how exactly as this inequality seems to be making me quite cautious

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ok:

i) How do you get from k! to (k+1)! ?

ii) How do you get from 2^{k} to 2^{k+1} ?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.