Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tehFrance)
    She may be disappointed but that's largely due to the decisions he's made as King, he's mired by scandal and is being forced to, the Queen will step down as she has to due to health concerns. I'd bet any money it happens within 5 years
    Or most likely the next time the Government makes a pig's ear of the economy and they need to distract everyone with a media frenzy of a coronation.

ReputationRep:
    She may be disappointed but that's largely due to the decisions he's made as King, he's mired by scandal and is being forced to, the Queen will step down as she has to due to health concerns. I'd bet any money it happens within 5 years
    Yes, his case is very much one of jump before you're pushed, I think.
    I'd still bet that she doesn't abdicate. Don't think we'll see an English Monarch do such a thing. Perhaps Charles, but certainly not Her Maj. As I say, a Prince Regent in Charles is possible if her health fails, but she won't give up the Throne.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bun)
    Congrats!!
    Congrats, what subject did you study? I'm going back to the field of studying... I'm gonn-ah be ah farm-ah, seriously considering taking an Agriculture BSc with RAU.

No no action from me... Unless we're talking craps
    Cheers!

It was psychology and I am continuing with cognitive science, hopefully being able to do some breakthroughs in machine learning.

Following Prince William, are we?
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Life_peer)
    Cheers!

It was psychology and I am continuing with cognitive science, hopefully being able to do some breakthroughs in machine learning.
    Congratulations Life_peer! Your next project sounds rather interesting - I'm assuming that you're taking a Masters then?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    I don't think Liz will ever abdicate, even in ill health. She has a deep religious attachment to her duties.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Her Majesty the Queen opens (RL) Parliament officially for the 2014-5 Parliamentary session:

Miliband and Cameron look awfully chummy

ReputationRep:
    The Queen will remain until her mental health fails or she can't walk around places, she clearly enjoys what she does. Afterwards, the crown will go to William.

Milipede and Cameron always look chummy at joint events gabbing away.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saoirse:3)
    Or most likely the next time the Government makes a pig's ear of the economy and they need to distract everyone with a media frenzy of a coronation.
    Wow, that soon? You reckon she'll be gone within 2 years, as Labour is bound to win the next GE

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by toronto353)
    Congratulations Life_peer! Your next project sounds rather interesting - I'm assuming that you're taking a Masters then?
    Cheers, I am indeed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bun)
    Wow, that soon? You reckon she'll be gone within 2 years, as Labour is bound to win the next GE
    Oh I think Labour are probably just as capable of pulling of that kind of stunt as they other lot, even with the backdrop of Dennis Skinner.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bun)
    I'm not sure the Queen will ever step down. It's not her style. Perhaps chance of a prince regent, but Her Majesty isn't one to abdicate I don't think - several media outlets reporting that she has privately been disappointed with Juan Carlos for doing just that.
    I don't think the Queen will abdicate either. Even if entering the House of Lords in a wheelchair or with a walking stick, and all other public duties carried out by Charles and William.

I'd prefer William as the next King, but that's not going to happen either.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bun)
    Those who are doing the worst under the present Conservative led government are less likely to vote (young people), or be scared by thoughts of mass migration if Labour get in (older working class people). So another five years of David Cameron as PM and worst still, Gideon as Chancellor and Michael Gove as Education Secretary is a possibility.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by barnetlad)
    I'd prefer William as the next King, but that's not going to happen either.
    Nor should it. The whole point of having a monarchy is that the public aren't allowed to choose who they want, it's decided by an accident of birth.

Seriously, I think that if people want William and not Charles to be the next head of state they should support a republic and elect him President.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by O133)
    Nor should it. The whole point of having a monarchy is that the public aren't allowed to choose who they want, it's decided by an accident of birth.

Seriously, I think that if people want William and not Charles to be the next head of state they should support a republic and elect him President.
    Its perfectly possible for the monarchy to respond to the sentiment of their subjects, its no secret that Will and Kate are extremely popular around the world and that support for the monarchy is as a result the highest its been in decades.

Due to longer life I actually think its possible that both Charles and George could be skipped over due to being too old.

(Original post by barnetlad)
    Those who are doing the worst under the present Conservative led government are less likely to vote (young people), or be scared by thoughts of mass migration if Labour get in (older working class people). So another five years of David Cameron as PM and worst still, Gideon as Chancellor and Michael Gove as Education Secretary is a possibility.
    I shan't give an official prediction to stick to until mid December as its way too early now and both conference season and the autumn statement could be big in terms of influence but my take on things now is...

Tory majority 10%
    Labour majority 25%
    Tory minority 30%
    Labour minority 35%

ReputationRep:
    I have no idea how they do it, but the Electoral Calculus website heavily analyses polling figures and each month releases their probability of different outcomes based on the last month's polling. Currently showing a Labour majority as being 57% likely.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blue Meltwater)
    I have no idea how they do it, but the Electoral Calculus website heavily analyses polling figures and each month releases their probability of different outcomes based on the last month's polling. Currently showing a Labour majority as being 57% likely.
    It's a good website however I prefer UK Polling report.

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by Saoirse:3)
    Ah yes so when Labour get in, Charles will become King?
    (Original post by bun)
    Yes, his case is very much one of jump before you're pushed, I think.
    I'd still bet that she doesn't abdicate. Don't think we'll see an English Monarch do such a thing. Perhaps Charles, but certainly not Her Maj. As I say, a Prince Regent in Charles is possible if her health fails, but she won't give up the Throne.
    Oh she will
    (Original post by Life_peer)
    Cheers!

Following Prince William, are we?
    Ah that's cool, glad it's going well for you

No, not at all. I'm just preparing as I need to learn more, I know about construction, investments etc yet I don't know about the logistical companies nor the agricultural businesses that my father owns, both of which I need to seriously learn about as while I do know enough, I don't know enough for day to day running, if you get what I mean

ReputationRep:
    I go with UK polling report too although the only national poll i take any notice of is ICM. I should say with regards to my percentage figures that i'm trying to extrapolate how i think the polls could move rather than take them at face value like the polling sites do. Right now it's fairly certain that the Tories won't hit 38% (in the majority of outcomes that's sufficient for a majority), Labour will be close to 35% (their mark in the majority of outcomes) but may just fall shy while the Tories may if they receive the standard government bounce in the run up end up the largest party.

Of course their are highly unlikely scenarios like a repeat of the 2013 local elections where Labour can get 29% and a majority simply because the Tories would do so badly on 25%.

I did play around with the polls at the end of last year and got a prediction of 33%, 30% and 17% for Lab, Con, Lib.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miser)
    QFA
    As I can't comment on the Division Lobby as i'm not an MP, in regards to the Speakership vote, will you abandon your much known and revered avatar if you win, and if so, what will you change it to?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Cheese_Monster)
    As I can't comment on the Division Lobby as i'm not an MP, in regards to the Speakership vote, will you abandon your much known and revered avatar if you win, and if so, what will you change it to?
    I was thinking about this and yes I think it would be the right thing for me to change it. I haven't thought of anything I'd like to replace it with though.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 27, 2015
Poll
Do you have a role model?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.