Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wanttobelawyer)
    I really want to get a VS at a firm with a deadline on Saturday. However, a question that I think I keep slipping up on applications is about in the current legal market what areas should a firm focus on to develop and grow?

I'm thinking about writing about merging with offices in relevant locations. Any other suggestions - still got 150 words/one topic to go?

Really really would appreciate any pointers for me to go away and research as this is probably my last chance to get a vac scheme this year now! Thank you so much in advance for any pointers!

edit: the firm is a national firm.
    I PM'd
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pahoeho)
    What about firms that are interviewing now for TCs? Do they still only give 28 days for you to consider the offer? I'd be doing summer vac schemes in the hope of getting offers from those firms, but presumably firms that give offers now for TCs won't give you that long to decide?
    Yes, you will normally only have up to 28 days as well. Although you could ask for longer if you wanted to, and the worst that could happen is they say no.

If they are interviewing for TCs now and not in the summer, you have to make the decision as to whether you apply now with the risk that you get a TC offer way before your vac scheme and then you have to decide to accept/turn the TC down before knowing the outcome from your vac scheme.

Ultimately you could accept a TC offer and then turn it down in order to accept another at a later stage though. You are just not supposed to, as candidates should abide by their requirements of the code as much as firms should.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone applied to Wedlake Bell who wouldn't mind if I asked a quick general question about the application form?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SBafa)
    has anyone not heard from Withers or gotten a rejection? Why dont they tell us alreadyyyy
    I am feeling the exact same!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-SP)
    Yes, you will normally only have up to 28 days as well. Although you could ask for longer if you wanted to, and the worst that could happen is they say no.

If they are interviewing for TCs now and not in the summer, you have to make the decision as to whether you apply now with the risk that you get a TC offer way before your vac scheme and then you have to decide to accept/turn the TC down before knowing the outcome from your vac scheme.

Ultimately you could accept a TC offer and then turn it down in order to accept another at a later stage though. You are just not supposed to, as candidates should abide by their requirements of the code as much as firms should.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks, that's very helpful. I have the interview in 2 weeks, but won't worry too much about this unless I get the offer..

ReputationRep:
    Anyone hear from White & Case today? Xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-SP)
    x
    Hey, I'm kinda confused about the whole TC application process. I was wondering if you could shed some light on when it would be the ideal time for me, as a second year non-law student completing vac schemes in the summer, to apply for TC's at other firms?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Defragmentation)
    Hey, I'm kinda confused about the whole TC application process. I was wondering if you could shed some light on when it would be the ideal time for me, as a second year non-law student completing vac schemes in the summer, to apply for TC's at other firms?
    Ahhh... This is why it doesn't always work, as things have developed over the years.

You would have to wait until the next cycle of applications open for TCs in the Autumn (October/November time). It's a quirk where firms are technically bringing you in too early on the vac scheme.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aj90)
    If you don't mind me asking when did you hear back from Bond Dickinson and which office did you apply to? I haven't heard anything post app and applied in Dec.
    Hey i heard back around 16th and i applied to bristol you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-SP)
    Ahhh... This is why it doesn't always work, as things have developed over the years.

You would have to wait until the next cycle of applications open for TCs in the Autumn (October/November time). It's a quirk where firms are technically bringing you in too early on the vac scheme.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ah, so I would definitely know the outcome of my vac schemes before I have to apply for other TC's. That's kinda beneficial I guess; may not need to make unnecessary applications
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Defragmentation)
    Ah, so I would definitely know the outcome of my vac schemes before I have to apply for other TC's. That's kinda beneficial I guess; may not need to make unnecessary applications
    Exactly. Some good and not so good points of this, but unless your desperate to apply elsewhere, it's not too much of an issue.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-SP)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Are firms less likely to make TC offers to penultimate year non lawyers on their vac schemes because it's too early for them or does it not matter at all?

ReputationRep:
    So I take it noone heard from W&C today?? That makes me slightly relieved that I hadn't either :P

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone heard back from Withers or TLT? I sent my applications off before Christmas. ☺️ thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys. Havin serious difficulty answering this questions. In need of serious help

Basically the question asks in the current legal market what areas should a firm
    focus on to develop and grow
    I am really strugling to get a vac scheme and shoosmiths is my last deadline. I would really really appreciate any supporr you can provide. Thank you so much in advance and best of luck for evrythin!!

Ps: the firm
    is shoosmiths

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KASHIFJ)
    Hi guys. Havin serious difficulty answering this questions. In need of serious help

Basically the question asks in the current legal market what areas should a firm
    focus on to develop and grow
    I am really strugling to get a vac scheme and shoosmiths is my last deadline. I would really really appreciate any supporr you can provide. Thank you so much in advance and best of luck for evrythin!!

Ps: the firm
    is shoosmiths
    Technological developments in service provision, innovative/competitive fee structuring, ability to give contextual advice within the market, ABSs. I'm sure there's practice areas to talk about but those seem to be a few of the hot topics. Pick one and research it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hugo grotius)
    Technological developments in service provision, innovative/competitive fee structuring, ability to give contextual advice within the market, ABSs. I'm sure there's practice areas to talk about but those seem to be a few of the hot topics. Pick one and research it.
    Good advice.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by auroa17)
    Hi!

Does anyone know how to find out who a law firms main competitors are? I have gone from the Lex 500, but just wanted to see if there was a better way?
    I use Chambers and Partners UK. It gives you the best law firms per area of law

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TooOldForTC)
    It was a video interview and I waffled as I had no reactions to go off of. The questions did not go much beyond what was asked in the application form in terms of why law, why Bristows etc.
    Is it true that there are only three questions to answer?

ReputationRep:
    has anyone got an interview with Dechert? Is it a partner interview?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.