Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammie123)
    Hello. Well done for your results! I was just wondering in your opinion which did you think was more useful medify or the medic portal question bank?

Thank you and well done again!
    Probably medify as it tells you your exact time spent on each question and how other people did but medic portal had good questions too, I only really used it as I had drained medify

(Original post by Yrru97)
    Could I please ask what your technique is for verbal reasoning? >.< Your scores are absolutely amazing!
    Thanks! I just didn't look at the passage at all, went straight to the questions and scanned for key words

(Original post by fizzywaterbottle)
    congrats on your amazing score! Do you mind me asking how much work you did overall? And how did you improve your timing? Did you do medify's limited time practice? Basically what did you do in detail to get such an amazing score
    I did an hour a day for about a month then in the last week or two I did two hours a day so not too bad, still went out met friends etc. I didn't really use medify times practice too much as timing was never really my issue, apart from VR. But at the start if I got a question wrong or more than 5 seconds above the time limit, I redid the question times again and again until I could do it easily in the time. There isn't really a special formula or anything just a lot of practice

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by isabella1999)
    Are you a grad? Idk anythinf about GEM aha and I'm not sure, think most uni cut offs last year were like 650-675 so around there probably
    HI, Yes i'm a GEM. I thought it was around that sort of score of UG. You have obviously excelled! Well done and many congrats!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 123ash)
    HI, Yes i'm a GEM. I thought it was around that sort of score of UG. You have obviously excelled! Well done and many congrats!
    Aha yeah I was so surprised! Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stone101)
    glasgow uni dont look at SJT but they look heavily at the other sections which you have done excellently in
    Hey I'm new to this so I'm hoping I'm using this right. But I was recently at a reach programme run in Glasgow university and for medicine (not too sure about dentistry or vet med) they do put emphasis on SJ,they said most people they take in have band 1, MAYBE band 2 is considered but 3 and 4 are considered bad

ReputationRep:
    Thanks! I'm sure you will do great dw! My technique changed depending on the question, I'm not one for tecniques aha (literally had none for abstract just stared and hoped something would come to me). For T/F/CT questions (I literally got two sets of these so annoying) I picked out the key word that was not likely to come up more than once, scanned the passage for it and read the associated sentence only. For comprehension, i either read through the answers if there are a few obvious ones that could not be right, then picked a feasible one and scanned for key words. If it was a question where all the answers were similar and could be right, after crying on the inside I read the question intro, scanned for the topic(s) it was talking about and eliminated answers (these took FOREVER). It just depends on the question.

Honestly you just need to stay calm! I was so scared I started not concentrating at all (I thought my left arm hurt, then was just thinking "OH NO that is a sign of a heart attack right omg what if I am so nervous I caused myself to have a heart attack omg") so I was not really concentrating on the text at all hahaha so If you feel nervous take deep breaths then carry on! Good luck!

I am thinking Cambridge, Edinburgh or Kings, Birmingham and Nottingham but idk, what about you?
    Thank you that's great I'll be a graduate but applying mostly for normal 5 year course
    Newcastle
    Queen Mary
    Warwick
    Newcastle (4 years)
    Just hope I do good in the ukcat as Newcastle is fairly ukcat heavy as I would love to go there and I live near and me and boyfriend have a house so would be awful

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, my name's Kitty and I'm hoping to apply for dentistry (2017 entry). I had low target grades of C's at AS but exceeded them getting B's so A grade targets shouldn't be a problem for A2. I sat my UKCAT today and got an average of 625 with band 2 in SJ. I've done work experience and am working on a good personal statement. Ideally I want to apply to Queens in Belfast but I'll go to any dental school that'll take me. I'm basically just looking for any advice generally and, bluntly, want to know if I need a reality check as to whether I actually have a chance of getting in!😅

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kitkatmnm)
    Hi guys, my name's Kitty and I'm hoping to apply for dentistry (2017 entry). I had low target grades of C's at AS but exceeded them getting B's so A grade targets shouldn't be a problem for A2. I sat my UKCAT today and got an average of 625 with band 2 in SJ. I've done work experience and am working on a good personal statement. Ideally I want to apply to Queens in Belfast but I'll go to any dental school that'll take me. I'm basically just looking for any advice generally and, bluntly, want to know if I need a reality check as to whether I actually have a chance of getting in!😅
    Hi, dentist-to-be on a gap year at the moment.

Trust me, a B in AS doesn't make it any easier to get an A in A2. The jump between AS and A2 is larger than from GCSE to AS. It's still definitely a problem - I was predicted A's and A*ms and still struggled so badly. Please don't underestimate the difficulty of A2 because that will come to haunt you.

Your UKCAT is lower than average (though not ridiculously lower, 30/40 points or so?), and not getting Band 1 (which might have slightly made up for it) did not do you any favours. I wouldn't recommend applying to a UKCAT-heavy uni, on that basis.

Doing work experience is awesome, but they don't truly care about how much you've done. If it's at least 2 working weeks, you're fine. It's about what you've learnt from it, and you need to make that incredibly clear in your PS.

If your GCSEs, or whatever equivalent you may have, are good, that will definitely redeem you a little.

All of this said though, never think of whether you 'stand a chance' of making it. Everyone can, depending on what they're willing to sacrifice. I turned a B in Biology and a C in Chemistry to A*'s at A2; if I can do it, you can too c:

If you truly want Dentistry, lock yourself away for Year 13 and graft hard. That's the only way you'll get it.

PM me if you need any more advice

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xJessScott)
    Thank you that's great I'll be a graduate but applying mostly for normal 5 year course
    Newcastle
    Queen Mary
    Warwick
    Newcastle (4 years)
    Just hope I do good in the ukcat as Newcastle is fairly ukcat heavy as I would love to go there and I live near and me and boyfriend have a house so would be awful

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah hopefully you will, gotta have faith

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, please can someone help: I have UKAT average of 653 sjt band 1.

1A* and 6A's and 2 b's . My AS levels were not brilliant, B in economics and C's in biology and chemistry and maths. but I'm determined to do well at A levels. Is there any university options or is it a lost cause to try and apply this year?. If there's any chance of getting in please can give me some suggestions for uni's. I would really realy appreciate any feedback.
    I should say I want to do medicine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Suri2017)
    Hi guys, please can someone help: I have UKAT average of 653 sjt band 1.

1A* and 6A's and 2 b's . My AS levels were not brilliant, B in economics and C's in biology and chemistry and maths. but I'm determined to do well at A levels. Is there any university options or is it a lost cause to try and apply this year?. If there's any chance of getting in please can give me some suggestions for uni's. I would really realy appreciate any feedback.
    What will your A2 predictions be? Quite a lot of uni's consider them rather than AS which can be helpful

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neon_reaper)
    What will your A2 predictions be? Quite a lot of uni's consider them rather than AS which can be helpful
    I'm hoping I can convince my school to predict three A's but not sure if the will

ReputationRep:
    my prediction will be A*,A*, A/A*. My UKCAT is 750. But my GCSE's arent great; 4 A*, 5A, 1 B. Applying for dentistry. Which unis are best to go for?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GetOverHere;[url="tel:67423112")
    67423112[/url]]Hi, dentist-to-be on a gap year at the moment.

Trust me, a B in AS doesn't make it any easier to get an A in A2. The jump between AS and A2 is larger than from GCSE to AS. It's still definitely a problem - I was predicted A's and A*ms and still struggled so badly. Please don't underestimate the difficulty of A2 because that will come to haunt you.

Your UKCAT is lower than average (though not ridiculously lower, 30/40 points or so?), and not getting Band 1 (which might have slightly made up for it) did not do you any favours. I wouldn't recommend applying to a UKCAT-heavy uni, on that basis.

Doing work experience is awesome, but they don't truly care about how much you've done. If it's at least 2 working weeks, you're fine. It's about what you've learnt from it, and you need to make that incredibly clear in your PS.

If your GCSEs, or whatever equivalent you may have, are good, that will definitely redeem you a little.

All of this said though, never think of whether you 'stand a chance' of making it. Everyone can, depending on what they're willing to sacrifice. I turned a B in Biology and a C in Chemistry to A*'s at A2; if I can do it, you can too c:

If you truly want Dentistry, lock yourself away for Year 13 and graft hard. That's the only way you'll get it.

PM me if you need any more advice

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Oh of course I would never underestimate A2 (after AS was so hard), the grades this year just meant I should be able to get set A targets by teachers for next year. Yes that's what I was thinking UKCAT wise, it was above 600 but not an amazing score so there's no point applying to a UKCAT heavy uni.

GCSEs were predominantly A's so hopefully they are fine.

Yes that's true about sacrifices. I had a lot of extra curricular stuff last year that will probably need to be sacrificed to get the grades this year.

Thank you for the advice☺️

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neon_reaper;[url="tel:67423394")
    67423394[/url]]What will your A2 predictions be? Quite a lot of uni's consider them rather than AS which can be helpful
    Yeah a lot of uni's I've looked at don't look at AS at all

ReputationRep:
    Probably medify as it tells you your exact time spent on each question and how other people did but medic portal had good questions too, I only really used it as I had drained medify

Thanks! I just didn't look at the passage at all, went straight to the questions and scanned for key words

I did an hour a day for about a month then in the last week or two I did two hours a day so not too bad, still went out met friends etc. I didn't really use medify times practice too much as timing was never really my issue, apart from VR. But at the start if I got a question wrong or more than 5 seconds above the time limit, I redid the question times again and again until I could do it easily in the time. There isn't really a special formula or anything just a lot of practice
    I'm not too sure of what you mean by not looking at the passage at all... o_o! Specifically for verbal comprehension questions (i.e. Which option would the author most agree with), could I ask if you scanned the passage first before reading the options and trying to match each one to the passage, or if you read all the options before matching each to the passage? Eliminating the options one by one was so time consuming during the mocks. Could I also ask what you mean by the key words method? My actual exam is on Wednesday so I'm trying to nail down VR...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Suri2017)
    I'm hoping I can convince my school to predict three A's but not sure if the will
    That's the priority right now because if you don't get that you won't be able to apply this year (without extenuating circumstances). Your UKCAT and GCSEs exclude you from UKCAT and GCSE heavy unis (newcastle, QUM, Cardiff), I'd say your best bet is to look at unis that regard A and A* at GCSE the same (Leicester, liverpool) and consider the BMAT.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/cont...e-requirements

Best bet is to make a list of possible unis from that ^, find what those unis have as their selection process and judge it off that

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone confirm in the sjt part, do partially correct answers contribute to the final score? If so is this written in writing on an official website? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sniperdon227)
    Can anyone confirm in the sjt part, do partially correct answers contribute to the final score? If so is this written in writing on an official website? Thanks

http://www.ukcat.ac.uk/about-the-test/results/

Read the SJT part
    Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Minimimi99)
    Hey I'm new to this so I'm hoping I'm using this right. But I was recently at a reach programme run in Glasgow university and for medicine (not too sure about dentistry or vet med) they do put emphasis on SJ,they said most people they take in have band 1, MAYBE band 2 is considered but 3 and 4 are considered bad
    hi, im familiar with reach, i was also a reach student. i think they must have told you old information because.. http://www.gla.ac.uk/schools/medicin...sgow-2017entry , it says for 2017 entry they dont look at SJ. this is also true for dentistry

ReputationRep:
    i really don't understand whether people are being sarcastic or not when they say "i got like 5 A*/A's..., i know they're really bad". As long as you've got the requirements i'm pretty sure you're good.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 22, 2017
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.