The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by CAPTAINSHAZAM
Guys can someone explain how much we have to write for 10 mark "essay"? I know how to do the scenario questions, but when it comes to the 10 mark essay how much do we write? How many studies eval point etc

how do you do the scenario ones?
Original post by evekay
how do you do the scenario ones?

Depending on what it asks e.g risk factors read the study and always always mention the persons name and explain what risk factor he has e.g if he has exams may cause stress link a study always link it back
Depending on what it asks e.g risk factors read the study and always always mention the persons name and explain what risk factor he has e.g if he has exams may cause stress link a study always link it back

okay, and sorry but do you know how to structure a 10 mark? (i havent done anything for this exam but im also distance learning student so i dont have a clue what the structure is)

so if it's 10 marks, what do we include? like how much ao1/a02, and is a03 needed?:s-smilie:
is it worth learning the essays for this exam because aqa notice that we're using model answers? now i'm thinking maybe i should just learn a load of facts...
Original post by Biologist123
Same here! I waffled for 16 pages and forgot most of the studies but at least I saw the plural on the explanationS!! took me a while but i realised they were trying to catch people out!!

They count Infidelity and jealousy as two!
& they count Group Displays- sporting and Warfare as two! so most people will be fine!
Original post by Onica
Well yeah it does state that. I mean I was taught it together and felt it made sense together. It's just that it would be really hard to explain it separately. But I guess it could be explained separate

It's the same with me, I was just taught it as one explanation including both. It looks like AQA may accept it as two though? We'll see I guess
so scared for psya4..
GUYS AQA ARE ON TO US AND SAJ!

"Probably the most striking feature was the increased use of modelanswers downloaded from the web"

This was from 2015 paper

Yeah they pick up on that quick, which is why it't better to do your own work and only use Saj's stuff as a guide. My teacher said that generally examiners will be more inclined to give you marks if your essay is more unique and stands out from the rest. Since mine were not derived from Saj's and completely my own, I hope I get credit for this since so many others just memorised model essays they didn't write.

The other problem with doing that is you can easily try to memorise things you don't understand, and it'll show through to the examiner in your writing clearly if you don't really know what you're talking about, you're just regurgitating a pre-prepared essay.
Original post by evekay
so scared for psya4..

someone please help - i have no notes for schizophrenia or addiction, i've just got the loopa essays but they're long and they'll take too long to learn, really need some help and it'd be much appreciated! does anyone have any notes they can share? panicking that i know nothing:frown:
Original post by bullseye1
Yeah they pick up on that quick, which is why it't better to do your own work and only use Saj's stuff as a guide. My teacher said that generally examiners will be more inclined to give you marks if your essay is more unique and stands out from the rest. Since mine were not derived from Saj's and completely my own, I hope I get credit for this since so many others just memorised model essays they didn't write.

The other problem with doing that is you can easily try to memorise things you don't understand, and it'll show through to the examiner in your writing clearly if you don't really know what you're talking about, you're just regurgitating a pre-prepared essay.

I mainly used Saj as an outline plan in which i developed and added my own points.
there are SO many studies for psya4.. do we actually have to know them all?!
Original post by Lydiadoran
Hi does anyone know how to answer the question,
'Discuss the scientific status of parapsychology?'
I'm lost! I don't know what kind of stuff would need to be included, any help would be appreciated

I'd just write probably write mostly criticising it's scientific status and thus referring to it as a pseudo science and not a 'true' science since it lacks a lot of scientific rigour. I'd write the features of science (e.g replicability, peer review, use of clear key terms, falsifiability, quality over quantity etc...) and then state how I don't feel parapsychology fits these features
Guys, sorry if this has already been asked, but could you still get an A* if you achieve 360/400 UMS overall in both AS and A2 units?
Or do you have to get 90% averaged across both A2 units, and 80% overall (including AS)?

In basic terms, could get A* if you get either 360/400 UMS or 320/400 UMS with A* averaged in A2?
Original post by charlie2466
I'd just write probably write mostly criticising it's scientific status and thus referring to it as a pseudo science and not a 'true' science since it lacks a lot of scientific rigour. I'd write the features of science (e.g replicability, peer review, use of clear key terms, falsifiability, quality over quantity etc...) and then state how I don't feel parapsychology fits these features

Fab, thank you
do you think the grade boundaries would be low?
Original post by fastandfurious
Guys, sorry if this has already been asked, but could you still get an A* if you achieve 360/400 UMS overall in both AS and A2 units?
Or do you have to get 90% averaged across both A2 units, and 80% overall (including AS)?

In basic terms, could get A* if you get either 360/400 UMS or 320/400 UMS with A* averaged in A2?

You have to get more than 320 overall, and the A2 UMS has to be 180 for an A*
For the Evo exp. of agg question could you have talked about lynch mobs?
So I completely messed up that exam yesterday!
Had a panic attack and misread the question so i lost 20 marks on that!

If I get about 25-30 marks now on that exam
and my UMS from last year is 164, is it impossible for an A overall if I get one on the next paper?
And if so, how many marks do I need for a B overall?
For the aggression one I wrote about infidelity and jealousy. In my textbook they are labelled as evolutionary explanations of aggression therefore are two different explanations. For group display they would specially ask for group display like a previous exam question something like explain group display in human aggression. So everyone including myself who just did infidelity and jealousy should be okay
Predictions for depression and media psy. Scared for unit 4 so much

Latest

Trending

Trending