The Student Room Group

Did my 1st Skydive yesterday :)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by x-Sophie-x
AFF :')

wow brilliant :smile: Well done! Are you a regular jumper?
Reply 21
Original post by pinda.college
What if your reserve cocks up too?

Use your imagination.

Also when you land do they come back down and pick you up, or are you left to find your own way back?

You aim to land within a very short walk of the hangar or whatever base of operations.
Reply 22

Just wondering lol.....

Also when you land do they come back down and pick you up, or are you left to find your own way back?

if both dont work then you basically die to be honest.

and when it comes to landing with a bit of planning you can land very close to the centre .. so all you have to do is walk like 2 mins and tick your name off the list to say you have arrived back safely.
Reply 23

Just wondering lol.....

kind of like BOTH engines failing on an airliner.... very unlikely

reminds me of the aviation joke

engines turn or passangers swim
Reply 24
Hi I want to try skydiving in the summer, after my GCSEs,

any advice on what type to do and roughly what the prices are?
Reply 25
Original post by cyfer
Hi I want to try skydiving in the summer, after my GCSEs,

any advice on what type to do and roughly what the prices are?

do a static line first jump course for 150 quid with 1 or 2 free jumps :smile:

Or if you want to do it as a one off then do a tandem - which will be around 180 + 100 extra if you want it on video :smile:
Original post by NB_ide
No problem - you've got the rest of your life to fix it.

LOOOOOOL :lol:
Original post by tnajamie
wow brilliant :smile: Well done! Are you a regular jumper?

Thank you! And well done on your first jump too!

Depends on what you would call "regular". I go with my dad, every few weeks, so not very often no! But it's so thrilling, I would be up for it any time!

Have you bungee jumped before? xD
Reply 28
Original post by x-Sophie-x
Thank you! And well done on your first jump too!

Depends on what you would call "regular". I go with my dad, every few weeks, so not very often no! But it's so thrilling, I would be up for it any time!

Have you bungee jumped before? xD

no I haven't bungeed but am definitely trying to make this skydiving a regular thing, I will be going to the dropzone again at the weekend and can hopefully get 2 jumps in :smile:

Yeah I would definitely say that every few weeks would class you as a regular jumper :smile:

have you ever had any malfunctions or nuisance factors?
Reply 29
Meh I'm kind of averse to skydiving whilst joined to another person, it would feel like it would ruin the fun imo (and be a bit gay - sorry I am homophobic...)

So how many jumps do you get with static line?
With static line you jump out and after the line has reached maximum length the parachute opens right?

Any ideas where I can skydive cheaply?

Thanks for the advice!
A charity I'm involved in is doing a sky dive in May, and making a big event of it making it a bit of a gala day.. I'm involved helping out with arrangements but not brave enough to jump. That, and when it was arranged, I wasn't sure whether I'd be light enough for the weight limit, that sounds embarrassing now!

BUT the point is, I'm hoping to jump either in the summer or this time next year at the latest. The thought makes me nervous, but I know I'll love it once I've done it!
Reply 31
Original post by cyfer
Meh I'm kind of averse to skydiving whilst joined to another person, it would feel like it would ruin the fun imo (and be a bit gay - sorry I am homophobic...)

With static line you jump out and after the line has reached maximum length the parachute opens right?

Thanks for the advice!

yeah static is best I feel.

Are you at uni?

because if you are, better rates can be obtained .. I paid 150 for the course and a jump, but the society are likely to give me like 30 quid back so it would have only costed 120

Or you can book with a large group of people and also save a fair bit.

Netheravon is a very good dropzone, and seems very cheap :smile: especially if you are a student like me :smile:
no I haven't bungeed but am definitely trying to make this skydiving a regular thing, I will be going to the dropzone again at the weekend and can hopefully get 2 jumps in :smile:

Yeah I would definitely say that every few weeks would class you as a regular jumper :smile:

have you ever had any malfunctions or nuisance factors?

Yes, you should try it! I actually did it for a charity event and got sponsored for it!
Okayy :]
Nope not really..but once the parachute didn't correctly deploy *panic*
If anyone else has done a skydive of any kind come here and share your experiences :smile:

My experience was awesome; I did a static line first jump course and then a jump on the same day.

I arrived so scared of heights that I could not look up to the sky, but as soon as I got in the plane my fear just disappeared. I can remember doing all my drills and checking the altimeter to see when to turn into the wind and everything. I also landed perfectly on my feet which I am very proud of.

It was the scariest yet most fulfilling thing that I have ever done. I am making this a weekend thing now, and am looking to progress on to freefall jumps at some point.

1000, 2000, 3000, 4000 SHARE :smile:

I remember a previous thread you started about building confidence and getting a big thrill... Congrats on finally achieving this and I wish you all the best in your future sky dives :biggrin:
Reply 34
How did your massive balls not bring the airplane down?
Reply 35
Original post by cyfer

Thanks for the advice!

prices are pretty much the same anywhere - google for your local site. To be able to jump alone, at any dropzone, you need a licence and this is obtained by following one of two training courses; RAPS or AFF.

AFF is more expensive, but gets you into free-fall right away. RAPS is cheaper.

In the end, and after you qualify and jump regularly, it obviously won't actually matter what you did. I did AFF because that's what my local dropzone teaches, basically.
Reply 36
Original post by Dandaman9999
I remember a previous thread you started about building confidence and getting a big thrill... Congrats on finally achieving this and I wish you all the best in your future sky dives :biggrin:

than you very much :smile: that is a very nice thing to say :smile:
Reply 37
yeah static is best I feel.

Are you at uni?

because if you are, better rates can be obtained .. I paid 150 for the course and a jump, but the society are likely to give me like 30 quid back so it would have only costed 120

Or you can book with a large group of people and also save a fair bit.

Netheravon is a very good dropzone, and seems very cheap :smile: especially if you are a student like me :smile:

I'm currently doing my GCSEs. As soon as they finish I hit 16 so I can go skydiving!!!

Do I still get a discount? I'm still a student...

Thanks for the advice :smile:
Reply 38
Man I would love to go AFF but I think that as a student there would simply be no way for me to sustain the price required for further courses so one expensive course would just be a waste of money.

Static line is the way to go.

Thanks OP, I was thinking about skydiving but I just couldn't find the right places, I'm definitely going to go now during the summer! (just a bit daunted about the written exam after 6hrs... is it hard? I'm studious however I think the excitement/anxiety might throw me off)
Reply 39
Original post by cyfer
I'm currently doing my GCSEs. As soon as they finish I hit 16 so I can go skydiving!!!

Do I still get a discount? I'm still a student...

Thanks for the advice :smile:

not 100% sure to be honest, i think you need to book through a school/college/uni.

But you could also get a group of people and you would get a discount that way, usually 5 pounds per extra person I think :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest