The Student Room Group

Why can't women drive in Saudi Arabia

Scroll to see replies

They can't vote either, then again that's not thread worthy is it? :wink:
Original post by Ascendansy
They can't vote either, then again that's not thread worthy is it? :wink:

Actually they can now, though there's not much to vote for, is there?
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by crazycake93
Because the Saudi Heirarchy goes:
1) Man
2) Camel
3) Goat
4) Homosexuals
5) Rapists
6) Murderers
112) Women

More like

1)White male
2)Saudi Male
3)Other Arab Male
454)Other Asian Male
455)Saudi Female
456)Other Female
Reply 23
Original post by zedeneye1
hahaha good one....

maybe they saw women driving in other countries and thought it would avoid accidents if they ban them from driving...

Apart from that, they have really tough driving tests. They require you to do all of this:

[video="youtube;qLpxsAp-Dm0"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLpxsAp-Dm0[/video]

[video="youtube;fNgKCuCe94o"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNgKCuCe94o[/video]

[video="youtube;BH-mWynR6U0"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BH-mWynR6U0[/video]

Many have died in these tests, consequently, the Saudi government thought it would be better to save all the hot ladies for the more productive (or should I say reproductive) work.

Haha so awesome right...

Original post by Electronica
Why can't women drive anywhere else? :tongue:

Lol jokes :tongue:
Original post by arbaaz

thirdly, driving is to an extent seen as a western thing, western ideals are very opposed as it is supposedly corrupting the islam values, thus there is a huge resistance against woman driving.

Surely if driving is a western ideal then they shouldn't have cars in saudi arabia in the first place?
Reply 25
Original post by bambi_eyes
Im sorry those arguments are bs (i'm a muslim myself) and i thinks its ridiculous women can't drive.

That being said I once asked a friedn who has arabian relatives who love ins audi what they thought about that and she told me;

"most women their actually don't care. If you live in saudi and your ethnically an aracb then the government pays you to stay in saudi. So the majority of arab men don't actually drive because they can afford chaffeurs. If the ban was lifted most women would just carry on using chaffeurs".

just some food for thought

edit: but i still don't agree with it. The ban is just stupid!

um, actually, those aren't my views. those are just the reasons why woman can't drive in south arabia. i made it pretty obvious, my saying "in islam it is believed that".... those views are not my views. i never stated that they were my views. imo, woman should be able to drive, i simply answered the op's question which was why woman in sa coudn't drive.

re-read my post :smile:
Reply 26
Original post by Dragonfly07
Surely if driving is a western ideal then they shouldn't have cars in saudi arabia in the first place?

tbh i think that woman should be allowed to drive.

the question you pose is true, and i agree with what you are implying.

in my orgininal post i was just stating the reasons why woman couldn't drive according to the religious authorities in sa, not my own views. :smile:
Reply 27
women-drivers.jpg

women_drivers.jpg

Saving lives is important to them?
Because the Saudi Monarchy said so.

And -

[video="youtube;H3WMG7edRrk"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=H3WMG7edRrk#![/video]

[video="youtube;4wT7zM8XgXQ"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=4wT7zM8XgXQ[/video]

Though Saudi's have such a bad road safety system, which causes alot of crashes, it's very unsafe there. So maybe this is a good thing, given the context.

Original post by Cherriesxo
That's an ironic thing to say because women are heavily controlled over there. But I get your meaning.

Maybe you havn't seen the rising stats of domestic violence from women against men in Saudi.

http://www.saudigazette.com.sa/index.cfm?method=home.regcon&contentID=2009030731348
Why can't women drive anywhere!?
Original post by arbaaz
um, actually, those aren't my views. those are just the reasons why woman can't drive in south arabia. i made it pretty obvious, my saying "in islam it is believed that".... those views are not my views. i never stated that they were my views. imo, woman should be able to drive, i simply answered the op's question which was why woman in sa coudn't drive.

re-read my post :smile:

Oops sorry I tend to get a little emotional on topics like this:colondollar:

Sorry again :smile:
I've always hated the Saudis (the monarchy I mean) and it's things like this that make me hate them more. All these "Muslim" terrorists we've recently started seeing (past 20-30 years?) are the byproduct of a collusion between the Saudi monarchy and the US government. I just wish these terrorists would stop killing innocents and bomb the Saudi Royal family (and themselves) and free the country already.
And if you're a Saudi reading this and getting offended, I don't give a damn.
I just don't want to have to dish out 4k to those oil-freaks every time I want to go to Mecca for Hajj/Umrah to worship my Creator.
Reply 32
Original post by ajtiesto
Why can't you get it through your heads different countries have different laws. I don't see Saudi Arabia moaning about the laws here. It's all this attitude about spreading the filthy western culture in these Muslim countries and taking away Islamic values.

Im only encouraging a debate here to discuss this law! Dont you think its pretty stupid and medieval??
Why cant women park in the UK ? :smile:
Reply 34
Because it promotes:

Homosexuality
Prositution

Obviously!
Reply 35
Original post by Indo-Chinese Food
Why cant women park in the UK ? :smile:

erm yeah that job has gotten old the last 77 times its been said on this thread
Reply 36
Original post by levantine
Im only encouraging a debate here to discuss this law! Dont you think its pretty stupid and medieval??

It's not like it's going to change because of some TSR thread. As I said ask the Saudi women about their general view and the monarchy. Email them. Go there. Start protesting at Westminister.

It seems nobody really gives a crap because I'm not seeing a lot of Saudi women on the streets protesting and before you say oh because they're not allowed to. Is that why earlier this year, **** hit the fan to the point, they came out on the streets, when they found out a school was allowing their teen daughters and sons to freemix?
Original post by levantine
saudi society seems very backward. they have no concept of liberalsim

I've only met one saudi, and from what i understood from him, it seems that the government have a lot to do with their 'backward society', not the public. He admitted that there is a lot wrong with the country but when i mentioned the women not being able to drive he laughed and said that is the least of their problems. Apparently he was an open atheist for many years aswell and didn't face any abuse from family/friends or anything, contrary to what you might think.
Reply 38
Original post by harmony_01
It's not like it's going to change because of some TSR thread. As I said ask the Saudi women about their general view and the monarchy. Email them. Go there. Start protesting at Westminister.

It seems nobody really gives a crap because I'm not seeing a lot of Saudi women on the streets protesting and before you say oh because they're not allowed to. Is that why earlier this year, **** hit the fan to the point, they came out on the streets, when they found out a school was allowing their teen daughters and sons to freemix?

look dude im not saying we should change the law, I just wanted some opinions on the issue
Original post by crazycake93
Because the Saudi Heirarchy goes:
1) Man
2) Camel
3) Goat
4) Homosexuals
5) Rapists
6) Murderers
112) Women

I think homosexuals go below paedos, rapists and murderers

Quick Reply

Latest