The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
small&mighty
I had a part time job during my last year of sixth form and have still got it now in my first year of Uni. Now I'm only contracted to work on Saturdays as I have a placement every year which is Mon-Fri, but I usually end up working more than that.

It is doable, and it is sometimes nice to just get out of the studying zone if you like and you get the banter with customers, but then sometimes it can begin to stress you out when you've got managers complaining at you every 5 minutes or awkward customers, hence why I am finding it more and more difficult keeping my mouth shut about how I'm not going to be stuck there forever whereas managers and such are..!

Touche! As long as you are trying your best and not being lazy, there's only so much you can do without growing extra arms and legs! :wink:
lyncici
Touche! As long as you are trying your best and not being lazy, there's only so much you can do without growing extra arms and legs! :wink:

Which is exactly my point! I mean I do more than I should anyway and they do take advantage of me sometimes which is why it's getting difficult being there.

But then you do get the shifts which are good and make me rethink.
Reply 22
Im in 6th form and I have 2 jobs :biggrin:

1 - Work 4 hours a week @ £5/hr which is just after school for 2 hours on 2 days.
2 - Argos - contracted 7.75 hrs a week @ £5.42/hr, but lately i've been given lots of overtime, which i'm so grateful for, due to the recession and everything!

All in all, about 12 hours a week, less overtime. With overtime, it could be about 15-20 hours, and I cope-ish. I go to cadets on 2 nights, so that takes up some time, and I like to hit the gym a few times a week. I lead a busy life, shuffling homework with paid work and other bits and bobs. I would be bored otherwise, although sometimes I feel like I need a break!

It's all about good time management. On that note, I'm off to bed :biggrin:
Reply 23
I'm working at least 20 hours a week and up to 35 hours some weeks. I know that if I didn't work i'd be wasting my time while at uni so i'm glad I work as much as I do.
Reply 24
furry747
Im in 6th form and I have 2 jobs :biggrin:

1 - Work 4 hours a week @ £5/hr which is just after school for 2 hours on 2 days.
2 - Argos - contracted 7.75 hrs a week @ £5.42/hr, but lately i've been given lots of overtime, which i'm so grateful for, due to the recession and everything!

All in all, about 12 hours a week, less overtime. With overtime, it could be about 15-20 hours, and I cope-ish. I go to cadets on 2 nights, so that takes up some time, and I like to hit the gym a few times a week. I lead a busy life, shuffling homework with paid work and other bits and bobs. I would be bored otherwise, although sometimes I feel like I need a break!

It's all about good time management. On that note, I'm off to bed :biggrin:

Cheers! :wink:
I have a question. I started work at a well known italian restaurant chain last week. It is in the Tragus company and after the training shift has been completed it is possble to switch between the restaurants. I'm going to Durham in October and last night the Newcastle area manager was around, and she basically suggested that I would be very welcome in the Newcastle restaurant. I hadn't originally planned to work, but this sounds really good: is it? First term at uni working? I dont need the money because my parents are paying but I feel it would be nice to have some financial autonomy. Hmm. What do people think? Esp in a recession, dumb to turn down jobs?!!
Reply 26
I work in retail and I usually work 18 hours a week, but I sometimes work extra hours making it 24 hours a week.
I'm at uni for two days a week (full time course) so that makes things a lot easier. That being said, juggling work and uni is difficult, especially if you're unorganised like me :P
Reply 27
ellie_flower
I have a question. I started work at a well known italian restaurant chain last week. It is in the Tragus company and after the training shift has been completed it is possble to switch between the restaurants. I'm going to Durham in October and last night the Newcastle area manager was around, and she basically suggested that I would be very welcome in the Newcastle restaurant. I hadn't originally planned to work, but this sounds really good: is it? First term at uni working? I dont need the money because my parents are paying but I feel it would be nice to have some financial autonomy. Hmm. What do people think? Esp in a recession, dumb to turn down jobs?!!

Yeah definitely take the job. You'll have loads of free time at uni and you might as well do it for the money. Even if you don't need it now just put it in to a savings account as you might need it in the future.
Reply 28
ellie_flower
I hadn't originally planned to work, but this sounds really good: is it? First term at uni working? I dont need the money because my parents are paying but I feel it would be nice to have some financial autonomy. Hmm. What do people think? Esp in a recession, dumb to turn down jobs?!!

I'd take the job ... :yep: you can quit later if you find that the job is preventing you from having the experience that you want in your first year of uni (undergrad, I assume). Besides, I gathered that 1st year of undergrad studies is generally quite a lark... I stand corrected of course, since I've never studied in the UK before.

Having spare cash is ALWAYS a good thing. Especially in these "rainy days"! :yes:

Latest

Trending

Trending