"Far from being worthless, the more unusual degrees are proving a hit with employers" Watch

booger
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I think the author of the article misunderstands computer games programming. Its largely C++ programming. C++ is not an easy language to get your head round even if you already understand other languages. Computer programming isn't easy to get your head round. It generally teaches a lot more than you'd expect. The very fact that graduates of this course are so employable should really speak for itself.
ChemistBoy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Strangey)
I'm not, it's just one of the traditional slated mickey mouse degrees...
I don't think people have been slating a PhD though. This is just a typical chinese whispers media nonsense straw man. I believe it was either a module in a sports science or media studies degree that looked at the social and cultural impact of David Beckham on modern football and this has snowballed into people marching into investment banks with PhDs in David Beckham's eyebrow hair and being suprised when they don't instantly get a job.
cpj1987
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Lizia)
I was asking you to show us some "mickey mouse" degrees which don't have such qualifications built into them which give the levels of employment quoted in the article. I'm sure they exist, but I can't really think of any and you seem to think you can
Fair enough, though I didn't claim at all to know the statistics relating to various degrees - I just asked you to back your claim up, out of interest.
ChemistBoy
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by booger)
I think the author of the article misunderstands computer games programming. Its largely C++ programming. C++ is not an easy language to get your head round even if you already understand other languages. Computer programming isn't easy to get your head round. It generally teaches a lot more than you'd expect. The very fact that graduates of this course are so employable should really speak for itself.
Absolutely. Games often push the boundaries of programming in many ways. I remember being told that engineering modelling tools have been developed out of the engines created by programmers to provide realistic physics in computer games.
Strangey
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by ChemistBoy)
I don't think people have been slating a PhD though. This is just a typical chinese whispers media nonsense straw man. I believe it was either a module in a sports science or media studies degree that looked at the social and cultural impact of David Beckham on modern football and this has snowballed into people marching into investment banks with PhDs in David Beckham's eyebrow hair and being suprised when they don't instantly get a job.
Oh yeah, I knew it wasn't serious - I was just joking!
Wiggler
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
wooooo mickey mouse degrees @ ex polys ftw
JW92
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I think this upper middle class journalist has finally come down from his ivory tower. I thought it was common knowledge that a vocational degree leading into a profession is certainly just as if not more employable than an academic degree, especially a degree in say English or History. He even seems to have misunderstood the term "Mickey Mouse degrees" which generally refers to degrees in Media, Film or something widely popular but often useless.
Aphotic Cosmos
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Hmm.

I think that people don't generally devalue the skills learned and to what level, because as a failed programmer myself and knowing the value of the gaming industry to this country, I see the potential for skills like computer games design within the economy. However, I still don't think that these should be degrees, as such. Maybe there is a space for a new type of qualification that is as recognised as a degree, but is not a degree, to separate more vocational university courses from more academic ones.

My best friend and unsuccessful Cambridge hopeful had Southampton Solent down for Computer Games Design as his third choice - students of all calibres want to go and do these courses, and employers of all shapes and sizes want to have their graduates. I think that some more traditional subjects like English, and some newer "academic" subjects like Sociology [i.e. ******** studies], are definitely less rigorous than "mickey mouse" courses.
Nick_000
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I've always maintained it is more about the individual than the degree or the uni. As a matter of fact, a Leeds Met student has successfully got on the grad scheme that I will be applying to.

Also, I imagine Golf mangement is brilliant for er, Golf Managment. Doing a specified niche course must make it slightly easier to get a job. Also, how is computer programming a Mickey mouse degree? I don't do the course but everyone uses computers now?

Also brewery and distilling is a respected trade that has been around for hundreds of years. How is it on the list. Ah, these newspapers...
ashy
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I'd still rather have my physics degree, thanks.
Nick_000
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by ashy)
I'd still rather have my physics degree, thanks.
And I'm sure the lady in the article would rather have her Golf Managment degree.

Swings and Roundabouts.
Lindath
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Prince Rhyus)
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/lif...cle6829650.ece

Well...who'd have thought? (I think the term is schadenfreude when someone looks into an issue that the tabloids kick up a fuss about every so often and find that the tabloids got it wrong...)
Wow, now THAT's an article!
Brilliant introduction, many given examples and quotes, it doesn't get boring whilst reading it; I really liked the part with Sir Martin Evans.
I was just expecting an interview with an History-of-Art-student telling the writer that Art itself is the value and sense of... Art.

Aparte de eso, I think it is fair to review the common opinion about mickey mouse subjects.
GodspeedGehenna
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
When people quote fictional lol-degree titles with a genuine belief of their existance, it makes me want to punch them in the throat.
mart2306
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Tsukuyomi)
This is a joke, golf mamagement, computer games programming, brewing and distillery, what next the i wonder?
Not purchased any computer games recently then?
Not purchased alcoholic products recently then?

Can't say there isn't a need. The industries already exist.
Dark Horse of the Race
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I thought schadenfreude was happiness at the misfortune of others?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9B-ZoS0wvU
oo_Lucinda_oo
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
This is common sense, and something I've been saying for years.
maxPP
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
The entry requirement for the MSc brewing degree mentioned in the article is this:
For MSc entry, candidates must hold a First or Second Class Honours Degree, or equivalent qualification from a British or overseas university, in a science or engineering subject (for example, Biological Sciences, Chemistry or Chemical/Mechanical Engineering).

and I believe they used to offer some brewing option to go with their undergraduate chemical engineering courses.
CombineHarvester
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Tsukuyomi)
This is a joke, golf mamagement, computer games programming, brewing and distillery, what next the i wonder?
I guess these courses would be useful if you'd want to become a manager of a golf or bar/club. Or if you wanted to work for EA games or something but in general, it's poop.
Hedgehunter
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Well a Computer Games programming degree would clearly make someone more employable than a graduate from History as the Games industry is on the increase and has been for years so don't **** off all such degrees: they have a purpose. It just depends on where you career ambitions lie.
Malsy
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
WTF. talk about TL;DR.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (212)
39.41%
No - but I will (38)
7.06%
No - I don't want to (36)
6.69%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (252)
46.84%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed