Ed (haha) Balls (3)
7.14%
Student2806
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Where the hell's Alan Johnson?
I used to like David Miliband, but as foreign secretary he seems to have become little more than a wimpish diplomat with about as much personality as a shower curtain.
For all the sinisterism and controversy surrounding him, Mandelson does seem to get things done - it would be a shame to waste his skills by thrusting him into the limelight and stopping him from doing what he does best behind the scenes.
mfm89
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Nah. Policy wonk, not really leadership material.

Need a caretaker leader for a couple of years, maybe Johnson or Cruddas. Allow some fresh blood to rise up. I don't really want any of the current ministers to be leaders.
HNKS
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Where is John McDonnel? HE was after all the only person to try and Challenge Brown in his leadership inauguration before Brown and hsi people went ahead phoning people up at Midnight threatening their standing as MP if they voted for him..

If i had to go with any of them I'd go for Cruddas.
lazzarus
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
(Original post by Olivia_Lightbulb)
Harriet Harman has a liberal, progressive outlook and her policies would ultimately be beneficial for the majority of the country. Although it isn't evident on TSR, Harman generally fares well in popularity polls and out of the shortlist, would be the ideal replacement.
I have an instinctive dislike for feminists, or rather, bigots. she annoys me when she says things like "men cannot be allowed to run things" or "One of the two big jobs in the labour party MUST belong to a woman" . She also doesn't seem intelligent enough to run the party.

(Original post by dannymccs)
Pretty much the response the end of my post deserved haha. Seriously speaking though, what do you think about Straw/Johnson being the sensible if not spectacular idea?

I don't particularly like Mandelson either but, if you were speaking objectively, would you not agree that he might be the best choice for Labour at the moment- especially in opposition? As I said before, I see him more suited to being a mafia boss but he is effectively the Goebbels of New Labour. That said, Goebbels stood in the background like Mandelson and pulled the strings- Mandelson is unlikely to ever go after the Party leadership.

Straw/Johnson? I guess... But I feel they are too entrenched in what is perceived to be a lethargic hierarchy for them to adequately facilitate Labour's return to power.
Ipso Facto
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by lazzarus)
Straw/Johnson? I guess... But I feel they are too entrenched in what is perceived to be a lethargic hierarchy for them to adequately facilitate Labour's return to power.
I get what you're saying but, in fairness, it'll be a remarkable achievement if any Labour leader- whoever it is- adequately facilitates Labour returning to power within one electoral term. It might perhaps being overly negative but I tend to agree with one of the other previous posters; the Party needs a caretaker for a while and I see that logically being one of the old, well established Labour figures- such as Straw or Johnson- before perhaps moving on to an 'election winner' next time around.
lazzarus
Rep:
?
why is Cruddas 2nd?? this poll is mental!
Ipso Facto
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
why is Cruddas 2nd?? this poll is mental!
Cruddas commands a good deal of respect from the left of the Party- and no doubt the TUC. To my mind though, he's an 'old' solution of you will; in terms of Party success, I don't think he's the man.
In terms of the poll being mental, well, that's just TSR for you...
Liquidus Zeromus
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Mandy. One of the only real politicians in Labour's ranks, despite his take on things. He has substance, unlike Hatty Hatemen and Ed Noballs.
Olivia_Lightbulb
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I have an instinctive dislike for feminists, or rather, bigots. she annoys me when she says things like "men cannot be allowed to run things" or "One of the two big jobs in the labour party MUST belong to a woman" . She also doesn't seem intelligent enough to run the party.

It's stupid and wilfully ignorant to have instinctive dislikes for paticular groups. Ironically that is the definition of a bigot. You need to find proper reasons to argue against her; you have lapsed into predjudice and ignorance.
lazzarus
Rep:
?
(Original post by Olivia_Lightbulb)
It's stupid and wilfully ignorant to have instinctive dislikes for paticular groups. Ironically that is the definition of a bigot. You need to find proper reasons to argue against her; you have lapsed into predjudice and ignorance.

I went on to give examples of the stupid things she said, and her poor media handling skills...

Granted, claiming to have an instinctive dislike for feminists isn't sufficient grounds to dismiss her.
Olivia_Lightbulb
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I went on to give examples of the stupid things she said, and her poor media handling skills...

Granted, claiming to have an instinctive dislike for feminists isn't sufficient grounds to dismiss her.
Recently, she was very good on Question Time and surprisingly for a Labour minister, won a round of applause on several issues.
Your attempt to disparage her is solely based on your (ignorant) dislike of all feminists.
lazzarus
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
(Original post by Dionysus)
We've been saying this for a while. However, it won't be. It'll be David Miliband.
te he
WharfedaleTiger
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Talk about gravedigging...
JediMindTrick
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I am annoyed david miliband is top of my poll. He is a nothing politician, i have nothing against him, but he is as inspiring as nick clegg (no exaggeration). He doesn't strike me as a charismatic leader who could do great things or deliver elections. My preference is as follows:

Ed Miliband
Oh the irony.

Ed isn't half the leader David would have been.
username533239
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
te he
talk about necrophilia frigging hell
bbm100
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Ed Milliband's had his time and proved nothing. Give your brother a chance will you?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (266)
38.61%
No - but I will (46)
6.68%
No - I don't want to (51)
7.4%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (326)
47.31%

Watched Threads