David Mitchell -MPs should be paid more. Agree? Watch

Lizia
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Stop expenses and increase wages, is surely the most logical answer? Most people have their wages and have to accommodate themselves from that, I don't see why MPs are any different. If it's absolutely essential that they have a home in London, then factor the cost of that into their wages. Or provide some kind of London accommodation for serving MPs which they can use rent free while they serve and then give up when they stop. That way they aren't having mortgage payments made for them at the taxpayers expense, but they aren't having to spend their own wages on said accommodation.
touchofclass
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
(Original post by jackmb)
I think it's important to remember that people don't just walk into a job as an MP. They have to persuade a party to let them stand (unless they're independent), and then time as an opposition canidate raising their profile etc. So I think they should be paid well if that will attract better people into becoming MPs.
Yup
and reduced salary = reduced pool of people willing to take on the challenge

People often claim that they shouldn't be doing it for the money, but unless they're some sort of perfect human being, most people take money into consideration. It doesn't have to be simply 'money or morality' and can be a blend of both

The head of Cancer Research gets paid something like 140k in a supposedly philanthropic position - presumably because he's very good at his job, and they need to pay that to attract the best.
Rocking-Rob
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
http://www.thefirstpost.co.uk/48562,...india-politics

According to that article, it appears that British MP's are paid a decent amount less than counterparts in america/japan
Fiasco
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
If you pay peanuts, you get monkeys.
ashy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Being a member of Parliament should not be a career. Service to the country should be a single-term venture, with no chance of re-election, and at the end of their term the MP would return to their previous role.

That way MPs might do what's right for the country rather than what's most likely to get them re-elected, that is, to try to please everyone, thereby pleasing no one and achieving even less.

But yes, there should be fewer of them and the pay should be higher.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (467)
38.06%
No - but I will (95)
7.74%
No - I don't want to (87)
7.09%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (578)
47.11%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed