Scottish Accent Watch

pamelaa
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Celtic_Anthony)
Stirling one is quality, not so sure about the Edinburgh one though?
A lot of them sound English.
User192499
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I quite like it, but only if the guy is sexy anyway, so I guess I'm quite indifferent on the whole.
Danielle89
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Pop_tart)
but then again, what is the English accent? England has so many accents that are sometimes so different from each other that you can't really ask someone ''Do you like the English accent?''

:woo:

I like scottish accents. I love watching Neil Oliver in Coast on BBC 2, great show, although most people will probably find it immensely boring lol :p:
Oh FFS, how stupid do you have to be to realise the generalebriety was being rhetorical i.e. pointing out that its stupid to ask whether a person likes the scottish accent because it is as variable as the english accent...
generalebriety
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
but then again, what is the English accent? England has so many accents that are sometimes so different from each other that you can't really ask someone ''Do you like the English accent?''
Precisely my point. And it makes no more sense to ask whether someone likes "the" Scottish accent.
Jacinta
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Celtic_Anthony)
Stirling one is quality, not so sure about the Edinburgh one though?
Hmmm... as long as it's not too chavvy/neddy (I'll use both versions-haha) it's pretty nice!
Teofilo
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by EducatingBrogan)
I quite like it, but only if the guy is sexy anyway, so I guess I'm quite indifferent on the whole.
Is there any accent that can make you more attracted to somebody than you would have been otherwise? Seems hard to believe.

The reverse is easier to believe though (at least to me); i.e. attractive boy/girl made less attractive due to hideous accent...
Jacinta
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by pamelaa)
A lot of them sound English.
I love your sig! (and Mr Nutini, obviously )
VickieLR
Report 9 years ago
I like my boyfriend's, it's not too heavy, it's just really cute. Plus, I really like the accent of people in Edinburgh, not too fond of the really heavy ones you hear in Glasgow for example.
munn
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
whilst people are right in saying that there's a lot more than just "the scottish accent" really anyone that talks about it is referring to either a glaswegian or highland accent really, those are pretty much the two "definitive" scottish accents, whereas comparitively in England there are a lot of distinctive accents as widely spoken as the most widely spoken scots accents.

When people say they like the scots accent you can be fairly certain they've never heard a Dundonian for example
Consilio Et Animis
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago

:woo:

I like scottish accents. I love watching Neil Oliver in Coast on BBC 2, great show, although most people will probably find it immensely boring lol :p:
LOL I watched the Forth Rd bridge ep!

I like Scottish accents, especially the way they say "you dirty basterd"
Pop_tart
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Danielle89)
Oh FFS, how stupid do you have to be to realise the generalebriety was being rhetorical i.e. pointing out that its stupid to ask whether a person likes the scottish accent because it is as variable as the english accent...
Of course I understood that? I was simple eloborating on what ''generalebriety'' said? Are you too stupid to get that? Seriouly, chill out
Take a deep breath and drink some water! :yep:
Pop_tart
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Consilio Et Animis)
I like Scottish accents, especially the way they say "you dirty basterd"
haha :P http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0k1E...eature=related
the.white.rabbit
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I think that scottish accents on guys sound so sexy! - makes them sound more manly...
Madjackismad
Report 9 years ago
I am from Glasgow, and my accent can have it's days or nights, usually when alcohol gets involved.
Heir-Head
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I can't stand it, it's like nails down a blackboard to my ears.
TheRabbit
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I like Scottish accents - so long as it isn't neddy/ chavvy - I only notice my own Scottish accent when I'm with people who have very different accents though. The Edinburgh accent isn't English but isn't anything like a Glasgow accent. Scots tend to use words that other English speakers wouldn't, which can highlight a Scottish accent.
username156343
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Lanarkshire ftw
CalB92
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Where im from in Scotland i woudnt say we have any specific accent its just nice

Some are really posh and some are just disgusting and make you feel embarresed.
Biscuit_05
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Yeah I really like it.

Although I don't really like the Glaswegian accent (no offense people!).
Kirsteneg
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
hehehe. Most of the time it's ace apart from the 'hard' glaswegian one.
Gerard Butler's :love:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (502)
37.8%
No - but I will (102)
7.68%
No - I don't want to (91)
6.85%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (633)
47.67%

Watched Threads