EU to Seize Control of Britain's Immigration Policy Watch

Pocket Calculator
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
don't see why it's a bad thing. what's wrong with the EU handling this stuff?
Folderol
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Voluntas Mos Victum)
You can be culturally British,aswell.
Hallelujah. Do you agree with the BNP's white-only member policy?
Voluntas Mos Victum
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
(Original post by Pocket Calculator)
don't see why it's a bad thing. what's wrong with the EU handling this stuff?
It means we have little to no control of our own borders. We are supposed to be an independant country.
cruciform
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
The EU had to do this as explained.
Pocket Calculator
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
It means we have little to no control of our own borders. We are supposed to be an independant country.
but the EU as a whole does have control. collective security. benefits everyone, innit!
Norfolkadam
Report 9 years ago
We have the ultimate ability to leave the EU.
Voluntas Mos Victum
Rep:
?
(Original post by Folderol)
Hallelujah. Do you agree with the BNP's white-only member policy?
In principle I agree solely because there are thousands of organisations intended for ethnic minorities, but none for the native population, so it helps expose certain double standards.

On the other hand, I accept that it is possible for ethnic minorities to support the BNP and accepting them as members would lead to a lot less criticism.
Don_Scott
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Norfolkadam)
We have the ultimate ability to leave the EU.
Not realistically.
Voluntas Mos Victum
Rep:
?
(Original post by Pocket Calculator)
but the EU as a whole does have control. collective security. benefits everyone, innit!
I would rather Britain controlled Britain, as opposed to unelected bureaucrats from the rest of Europe.
Norfolkadam
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Don_Scott)
Not realistically.
It's still there though. In the same way that we have the ultimate ability to undo devolution.

Personally I don't see a problem with the EU controlling immigration. It's an elected body like any other and as immigration is an international matter it'd be much better to have an internationally cohesive policy.
Seven_Three
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
They've had controll over it for ages, and quite a few other things too. It ammounts to the quietest subjugation of a nation in history, just men writing and signing bits of paper.
Folderol
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
In principle I agree solely because there are thousands of organisations intended for ethnic minorities, but none for the native population, so it helps expose certain double standards.

On the other hand, I accept that it is possible for ethnic minorities to support the BNP and accepting them as members would lead to a lot less criticism.
A couple of things here; so if no other organisation did it, you wouldn't be okay with it? Do you honestly believe this is the BNP's rationale for their policy (i.e.: others do it, so we will)? Can you name on other political party (i.e.: a party that represents "civically" British people) that has such a policy? Do you not see the difference between organisations that have exclusive membership and political parties?
Don_Scott
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
It's still there though. In the same way that we have the ultimate ability to undo devolution.
Unless it's a realistic option it isn't an option at all.

Personally I don't see a problem with the EU controlling immigration. It's an elected body like any other and as immigration is an international matter it'd be much better to have an internationally cohesive policy.
Each nation has different needs. A issue as important as immigration cannot be carried out abstractly, a immigration policy must suit each individual nation.
Norfolkadam
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Don_Scott)
Unless it's a realistic option it isn't an option at all.

Each nation has different needs. A issue as important as immigration cannot be carried out abstractly, a immigration policy must suit each individual nation.
I think there are alot of things that have happened in politics that weren't realistic options but that happened anyway.

Can't each nation's needs be incorporated within a finely detailed and well written immigration policy with an over-arching aim? I'm a firm believer in internationalism and for this is just one step closer to that (highly unrealistic) ideal. I'm probably guessing you're not so into it.
indigoblue
Report 9 years ago
If thats true, I think we should be packing our bags and getting out
Falcon86
Report 9 years ago
LOL you guys crack me up. You brits have no idea what the EU is about. You isolationist paranoid looneys! get over yourself. You dont have an empire any more. get used to it. join the rest of Europe which has buried the hatchet and is finally- after 100s of years of nothing but war- decided to get along.

Yes the EU makes European countries a land of opportunity for people who come from war ridden 3rd world countries. Eritreans show up on the border of my country ( Malta) looking for a better life- something Malta has never been known for ever, and they show up with bullet holes in their body, or what s left of their body, with their dead friends and relatives around them. A few months ago we decided to be harder on border control to reduce the ammount that come our way. As a result a whole group of illegal immigrants were caught outside tunisia, rounded up and chopped up, men, women, pregnant women, and children. the whole lot. But our borders are safer so thats what matters rite?

Get a life! start finding out what the EU does for you. You have no idea how useful and gainful the EU is for everyone in it.

I m sorry but i have always thought of the UK as an honourable country, but lately it s citizens have been acting like they are the only ones in the EU with problems. Why dont you watch the news of other EU countries? maybe then you ll see how you are no different from everyone else and understand the imporance of a Europe that works together.
Don_Scott
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Can't each nation's needs be incorporated within a finely detailed and well written immigration policy with an over-arching aim? I'm a firm believer in internationalism and for this is just one step closer to that (highly unrealistic) ideal. I'm probably guessing you're not so into it.
No, I'm not. I think that it is irrational universalist nonsense. There is a reason that God split us up into different groups and nations: to stop us building a tower of Babel and worshipping man rather than God.
Blátönn
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
So, I, as an Asian, can only be "civically" British? Is there no other definition that I could have of 'being British'?
You aren't ethnically British though. By saying that you are you're saying that you are descended from ancient Brythonic tribes, which obviously you aren't. Hell, i wouldn't call anyone but the Welsh and the cornish 'ethnically' British. Same with ethnic English - you're saying that your ancestors were Anglo-Saxons.
Voluntas Mos Victum
Rep:
?
A couple of things here; so if no other organisation did it, you wouldn't be okay with it? Do you honestly believe this is the BNP's rationale for their policy (i.e.: others do it, so we will)?
Well, I believe every organisation has the right to associate with whoever it chooses, so I still wouldn't have a major problem with it.

I think it is- the membership criteria exists to expose a double standard, and to show that they are interested in representing and speaking for the indigenous community.

Can you name on other political party (i.e.: a party that represents "civically" British people) that has such a policy? ?
No.

I can name a similar political party from a minority background,though-

http://www.ligaliparty.org.uk/

Do you not see the difference between organisations that have exclusive membership and political parties?
Not with regards to membership criteria.
Pocket Calculator
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I would rather Britain controlled Britain, as opposed to unelected bureaucrats from the rest of Europe.
and why should you draw the line of control at the level of Britain? why not say "i'd rather Herefordshire controlled Herefordshire"? after all, most of the people in Parliament making all the laws weren't elected by people in Herefordshire.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (100)
40.32%
No - but I will (12)
4.84%
No - I don't want to (16)
6.45%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (120)
48.39%

Watched Threads