Philosophy Applications 2010 Watch

FadedJade
  • CV Helper
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by missmourk)
Thank you! Right, well I'm stuck between Jesus and Emma. I actually prefer Jesus but... Emma takes essays and I'd like them to see that I can write well and carry an argument, especially if my app. is put in the pool. Do you think it will disadvantage me to apply to a college that does not take essays?
You will have to take the philosophy extrance exam which has an essay component so they will be able to see how you write regardless. But Emma is a great college, and the philosophy DoS is amazing there. Actually i really love the Jesus DoS aswell, just apply wherever you want to be. Dont try and play the game, it doesnt work, especially not for philosophy.
missmourk
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Ok. I've done it. Jesus! Jesus it is. Aaah! I am so excited/nervous for the interview (if I get one)! The course just looks incredible and the more I read, the more I want to start studying Philosophy right away. It's so frustrating that there is no one at my school to help me though. Gosh, it's actually awful how much I want to get in. I also LOVE the director of studies at Jesus - I read her book last year (sex, culture and justice) and when I realised that she taught at Cambridge my heart was set on going there.
angrydanmarin
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by lightburns)
Good luck for this year
You tooo!!!!!!
(i love physics)
missmourk
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by FadedJade)
You will have to take the philosophy extrance exam which has an essay component so they will be able to see how you write regardless. But Emma is a great college, and the philosophy DoS is amazing there. Actually i really love the Jesus DoS aswell, just apply wherever you want to be. Dont try and play the game, it doesnt work, especially not for philosophy.
Actually, gosh. I'm still confused - Jesus or Emma. The pros of Jesus (for me) are a bit superficial...great library, accommodation, location, space...but then I guess that's one way to make distinctions between so many great colleges. BUT, I've heard that they always check the pool for better applicants. Obviously I would prefer to go to a college that takes people based on merit, not where they apply in the first place...however, surely that makes it extra-special hard to get in? Especially when it doesn't look like many other colleges take ANYONE from the pool for philosophy (this is based on stats from cam website).

Regardless, would you pick Emma over Jesus or vice versa? I think that Jesus also has D Matravers as a co-DoS...
FadedJade
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
ALL of the colleges check the pool that way. It is also normally the case that you are interviewed at one college, but the one of the people interviewing you may be connected to a different college. It is easier to compare candidates that way, and it means someone has already seen you should you be put in the pool. In my year I was interviewed by people from Pembroke and Trinity, and one guy got pooled from Pembroke and pulled out by Trinity. It could only have helped that someone over there knew the quality of the applicant. Because it is such a small subject there's lots of pooling going on. Don't worry about the numbers. Just apply where you want.

Those are all perfectly valid reasons to pick Jesus - if you love it then go for it! In terms of the course it makes no difference which one you go to. Personally i would pick Emma out of the two because of its location and its bar.
QED
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
For Philosophy at Cambridge, do previous grades matter that much, compared to other subjects perhaps? What sort of grades are 'average' and how much weight would you say that bears when it comes to admission?
missmourk
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Someone at the open day told me that most successful philosophy applicants in their year had an average UMS about 90% - but that some were much lower and some much higher. It probably helps to have very high UMS for AS but I don't think that will get you in and I don't think it will definitely rule you out...as long as you get an interview I guess that you have a chance to screw it up or impress them.

Sorry, that was pointless...I have just realised.
FadedJade
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Philosophy is one of the most competitive subjects in the university, given its very small intake and the fact you cant take straight philosophy at Oxford. So yes, it matters, but no more or less than for other subjects. Personally i think because of the nature of the subject the interview is really important.
Jigglypuff
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Actually, gosh. I'm still confused - Jesus or Emma. The pros of Jesus (for me) are a bit superficial...great library, accommodation, location, space...but then I guess that's one way to make distinctions between so many great colleges. BUT, I've heard that they always check the pool for better applicants. Obviously I would prefer to go to a college that takes people based on merit, not where they apply in the first place...however, surely that makes it extra-special hard to get in? Especially when it doesn't look like many other colleges take ANYONE from the pool for philosophy (this is based on stats from cam website).

Regardless, would you pick Emma over Jesus or vice versa? I think that Jesus also has D Matravers as a co-DoS...
He told me he'd left...not sure he's coming back?
miranda13
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
i can't believe it was 2 years ago i was doing this! good luck everyone
littleshambles
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
It was over 1 year ago I was doing it :o: OAPPPPPPPP.
missmourk
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Aaah. I am so terrified slash ridiculously excited. It's been exactly a year since I decided I wanted to do philosophy and I just can't stop reading! I can't believe that this could POSSIBLY be what I will be doing for the next three years. Can anyone give me some advice on interview preparation, the test etc. My AS scores are solid, I've done the reading but I have this sinking feeling that I am going to ruin the interview by doing something like telling the interviewer that he/she doesn't exist.
Ludwig Wittgenstein
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I'm looking at grades about ABB-BBB.
Applying for Philosophy and linguistics at:
Leeds, Sheffield (if i can get an offer) and Aberdeen
Then straight up philosophy at Heythrop College in Kensington just because i love andy lacewing and peter vandy.
Unsure on a 5th?
Maybe a met uni like manchester met or UWE for safe betz bruv :rolleyes:
Absolutely can't wait for it
littleshambles
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Aaah. I am so terrified slash ridiculously excited. It's been exactly a year since I decided I wanted to do philosophy and I just can't stop reading! I can't believe that this could POSSIBLY be what I will be doing for the next three years. Can anyone give me some advice on interview preparation, the test etc. My AS scores are solid, I've done the reading but I have this sinking feeling that I am going to ruin the interview by doing something like telling the interviewer that he/she doesn't exist.
How exactly would that ruin the interview?
missmourk
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Ok, that was a bad example. But nevertheless, I could come across as a completely pompous twit who doesn't really know what she is talking about! My personal statement is chock full of scepticism and I can just see it backfiring... oh well!
miranda13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by alexterry)
I'm looking at grades about ABB-BBB.
Applying for Philosophy and linguistics at:
Leeds, Sheffield (if i can get an offer) and Aberdeen
Then straight up philosophy at Heythrop College in Kensington just because i love andy lacewing and peter vandy.
Unsure on a 5th?
Maybe a met uni like manchester met or UWE for safe betz bruv :rolleyes:
Absolutely can't wait for it
ahah i applied to heythrope for peter vardy!
have you thought of nottingham? typical offer is ABC/BBB
or birmingham and liverpool are both ABB but i did get accepted to both with BBC grades
Ludwig Wittgenstein
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
dupe
Ludwig Wittgenstein
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by miranda13)
ahah i applied to heythrope for peter vardy!
have you thought of nottingham? typical offer is ABC/BBB
or birmingham and liverpool are both ABB but i did get accepted to both with BBC grades

oh really?
birmingham was great when i visited but i thought they bumped their requirements a little last year.
i might well swap sheffield for brum o:
also i heard my friends brother took a gap year to bump up his chemistry and gen studies mark for philosophy at liverpool and he still ended up getting BBC or BCC and they still accepted him so so it sounds like a possibility
As for nottingham, i live there so it'd be a bit of an anti climax to go to uni in the town i spend most of my time in anyway.
miranda13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by alexterry)
oh really?
birmingham was great when i visited but i thought they bumped their requirements a little last year.
i might well swap sheffield for brum o:
also i heard my friends brother took a gap year to bump up his chemistry and gen studies mark for philosophy at liverpool and he still ended up getting BBC or BCC and they still accepted him so so it sounds like a possibility
As for nottingham, i live there so it'd be a bit of an anti climax to go to uni in the town i spend most of my time in anyway.
oh yeah i just noticed you're from nottingham so that might not be a good idea. brum might have changed, i'm not sure if those are the requirments this year i'd check that out. but they did accept me with BBC so even if they are bumped up a little bit they may be willing to accept you with less
Ludwig Wittgenstein
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by miranda13)
oh yeah i just noticed you're from nottingham so that might not be a good idea. brum might have changed, i'm not sure if those are the requirments this year i'd check that out. but they did accept me with BBC so even if they are bumped up a little bit they may be willing to accept you with less
was this 09 application?
can you remember what the requirement was then?
did you look round brum at all?
corr those new blocks of accomodation on the lake :yes:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (315)
37.77%
No - but I will (64)
7.67%
No - I don't want to (62)
7.43%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (393)
47.12%

Watched Threads