Going to America with a damaged passport Watch

ali_bath
Badges: 0
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by orionmoo)
There's big signs up at every UK boarder control saying remove your passport from it's wallet or they bin the wallet
I've flown 6 times this year and never seen one of those signs? Mine didn't get taken out once...
Rhys~
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
There's big signs up at every UK boarder control saying remove your passport from it's wallet or they bin the wallet
Ive seen these eveytime ive flown, must be over 20 times this year now. Dont know how strict they are about it though as i dont have a wallet for my passport
Dionysus
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Seriously, get a new one. Go to the office and ask how much to get it done while you wait. The British Embassy in Estonia did mine in about 2 hours, so it's definitely possible. Cost about £120 though.
orionmoo
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Well, they definitely have them at Liverpool, Manchester and Heathrow. They're on the big blue boards at the side of the queue when you're waiting to have your passport checked.
ToryGirl
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
The signs are definitely at all the major airports...

OP, you should be fine with the damage... I have been to the US alot as well as other countries and my passport is a total state, the gold bit has worn off and it even has water damage! So that should be fine... Your main issue is the drawing... you've just gotta hope that the immigration guy doesn't stamp the page where the drawings are (I hope they aren't right in the middle?!). If they say something about it, be honest and hopefully they will let it slide!
Good luck
Misogynist
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
About the signs, they definitely do have them up.
Deanna19
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Do you use the passport to get into clubs?

WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT?!?!?!

If I did that I would be sure to lose it/damage it with in an inch of identification....wouldn't you simply use a drivers license or 18+ card??

But anyway, I don't think they'll get up you for the drawings, probably just give you a weird look.
Cubs
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Ok thanks for all the advice.
Its actually impossible to get a new one in time, they only replace them on the day for renewalls, not damaged or lost, so the quickest I could have a new one is a week, thats too long, so I was asking whether I should risk going or not.
And those of you who've said "why let someone draw in your passport?" I didn't let them, they just did it, I use it as I.D so it was in a pub, all lighthearted, obviously its a stupid thing to do, but theres not much I can do about it now.

So, to go or not to go is the question?
Anon the 7th
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
rip those pages out?

although i am sure it should be fine as they normally only look at the back photo and details page anyway
tcassey
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Anon the 7th)
rip those pages out?

although i am sure it should be fine as they normally only look at the back photo and details page anyway
Do not rip pages out this will invalidate you passport and makes it look like you are trying to hide something. You will be fine with a battered passport my passport is incredibly battered and I've never had any problems. If they ask about the drawing just be honest and say it was a stupid prank played by a friend.
Cubs
(Original post by EmersonDrain)
You haven't said that the barcode page is damaged, and page with the photo and the barcode is all they are interested in.

The scribbles are inconsequential - they may think you are educationally sub normal but that's about it.
I hope this is true! My info page is fine, essentially its just the drawings that I'm worried about.
stargirl001
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...1193603AAVftXz
Similar situation there, except the guy used his pages to get X Factor stars autographs :facepalm: and was told by UKPA to get it replaced
MrChem
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Anon the 7th)
rip those pages out?

Well, first, ripping pages out is illegal/invalidates the passport I believe. If not illegal, its tampering. And if it gets spotted, they'll have all kinds of questions for you. They'll possible think you've been somewhere you shouldn't have and ripped the page out to stop them from noticing.

Second, its AMERICA: the passport will be stamped, so there's a good chance they'll see/flick past the drawings.

Buut, OP, chances are, if there are blank pages before the drawing, they'll stamp the first blank page they get to.
Cubs
The drawings are 2 pages from the information page and about 3 from the middle pages.
Kittennffc
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Svenjamin)
Never known a customs officer to take a passport out of the cover.
Huh?! What airports have you been flying to? At every airport I've been in there have been signs at passport control saying to take passports out of covers.

OP: No offence, but why did you let your friends draw in your passport?! In America they do tend to flick through the pages as they need to find a blank one to stamp and attach a green form. But unless that is your last free page, I doubt they'd be bothered enough to send you out of the country.
Svenjamin
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Kittennffc)
Huh?! What airports have you been flying to? At every airport I've been in there have been signs at passport control saying to take passports out of covers.
Poland, Denmark, Germany, UK, Netherlands, Brazil, Argentina, Uruguay, Chile, Peru, Bolivia, Ecuador.

...never once taken of out of its cover, and never even a comment about it. I must have been lucky. Oh well, know for next time.
Ice_Queen
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by CrazyChris)
For ID purposes, why not pay out for a provisional driving licence? At a cost of £50.00, it's easy to keep in your wallet, and you can store your passport safely and securely away from friends with pens. Also saves you from the risk of losing your passport on a night out.
It might not be possible.

I, for example, have a medical condition which makes it impossible for me to get a drivers license at the moment. I have to use my passport for ID, so take mine around with me as well. My friends aren't quite that immature though!

And the customs people have always taken ours out of the covers...
ali_bath
Report 9 years ago
Well, they definitely have them at Liverpool, Manchester and Heathrow. They're on the big blue boards at the side of the queue when you're waiting to have your passport checked.
That's weird, I've flown to America from Heathrow twice this year and haven't seen them. Maybe they're up high..I'm pretty short. :rolleyes:
princessmarisa
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Cubs)
Ok thanks for all the advice.
Its actually impossible to get a new one in time, they only replace them on the day for renewalls, not damaged or lost, so the quickest I could have a new one is a week, thats too long, so I was asking whether I should risk going or not.
And those of you who've said "why let someone draw in your passport?" I didn't let them, they just did it, I use it as I.D so it was in a pub, all lighthearted, obviously its a stupid thing to do, but theres not much I can do about it now.

So, to go or not to go is the question?
I had a damaged passport, it was just a coffee stain, again not on the ID page, it was much less noticeable than yours, but when I phoned my airline they said any damage and it would be refused (probably just covering themself but still)
I rushed about to get it replaced, the fastest service at the time meant a next day inpromptu trip to liverpool for an appointment ASAP, (had to get signed reference that night by driving to a headteachers house! daunting!)
Anyway basically it arrived in the post in 3days

However if you don't have the time to bank on that, I would say go, and just hope they don't notice, the worst that can happen is they tell you off a bit then send you home, the best is that you get the holiday.
Depends how important going is to you, and how much risking it is going to cost you.

If someone else is picking the tab for the trip, and even if you don't go the money is still lost, you have nothing to lose so go for it.

Hate to say it, but there is a very slim chance of you getting accepted with that.

Mine just had a coffee stain and I got told I had commited an act of defacing a legal document, it has to be fraud tested.. serious stuff...let alone drawings!

As someone else said I would invest in a drivers license for ID reasons, they are a lot more resiliant, and sit in your purse nicely :p:
claireyclaire
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I wouldn't worry too much - I went to New York a couple of weeks ago and for some reason my esta went wrong - even though I got it approved, when they scanned my passport they had no record... They stress its really, really important - but the guy on the border control said it was nothing to worry about and let me in with no further questioning (which we have had before because my dad had a replacement passport to one he had lost - but it was during higher security with terrorism). If they didn't refuse entry for that, doubt they will care about a few doodles
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (377)
37.44%
No - but I will (77)
7.65%
No - I don't want to (71)
7.05%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (482)
47.86%

Watched Threads