Alternative Freshers' Week? Watch

ThePublicEnemy
Badges: 0
Report 9 years ago
I'll definitely be going to the first club night, but I might give the second one a miss seeingas it takes place at THE SAME CLUB AS THE FIRST NIGHT, which hardly bodes well for the Oxford scene. I like drinking (a lot), but really prefer a good pub crawl to a clubbing night. You can actually have (funny drunken) conversations, plus karaoke, plus adventures in the street.

That said, I also like ice cream and movies. And I'm a linguist. I think the OP will be fine. Or maybe he/she will take up drinking. Who knows?
Cirsium
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by ThePublicEnemy)
I'll definitely be going to the first club night, but I might give the second one a miss seeingas it takes place at THE SAME CLUB AS THE FIRST NIGHT, which hardly bodes well for the Oxford scene. I like drinking (a lot), but really prefer a good pub crawl to a clubbing night. You can actually have (funny drunken) conversations, plus karaoke, plus adventures in the street.

That said, I also like ice cream and movies. And I'm a linguist. I think the OP will be fine. Or maybe he/she will take up drinking. Who knows?
In the same club?! That's ridiculous... Oxford does alright for clubs - although sadly Filth died a death But there's still Park End (now Lava Ignite, I think?) and The Bridge and Risa, as well as Escape (which tends to attract the went-to-London-public-schools crowd) and Clems (which is more town than gown) and the one that OUSU refuse to associate with because they're so drugged up :p:
bysshe
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by LaurensL)
I'm not too fond of clubbing and drinking either. In st catz there are alternatives, movie night in JCR, quiz, etc.
I'll see where the majority goes
Ha, I'm the same. I was hoping that I wouldn't be the only one choosing to stay in and watch DVDs instead of going out clubbing, but at least there will be one other person, if no one else... :p:
Mayfly
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
My year group has become addicted to PT recently. It's literally just a room with cheap drink, it's whatever the hell you make it. You go in a bad mood, you'll have a **** time. You go with lots and lots of friends in a silly mood, and it's kinda fun. Such a bizarre place.
Tipareth
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Mayfly)
My year group has become addicted to PT recently. It's literally just a room with cheap drink, it's whatever the hell you make it. You go in a bad mood, you'll have a **** time. You go with lots and lots of friends in a silly mood, and it's kinda fun. Such a bizarre place.
I love PT! I had such a fun night went I went there a few weeks ago. Although, I was dancing near the wall at the back, and kept hitting my head - BAD times :|
Mook
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Aaah the PT :grin: We use it as a bop extension after the college bar gets closed down. It's an odd odd place ...
Turdburger
Badges: 14
Report 9 years ago
It isnt even that cheap
Turdburger
Report 9 years ago
BTW Fresherlings. The best place in oxford is the O2 academy (though Boo judging by her last post will probably still call it the zodiac :p:) down Cowley Road.
Teebs
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Turdburger)
BTW Fresherlings. The best place in oxford is the O2 academy (though Boo judging by her last post will probably still call it the zodiac :p:) down Cowley Road.
That belongs to my lot :cool:
cpchem
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Teebs)
That belongs to my lot :cool:
Mostly because it's the only club in Oxford that they can spell the name of :rofl:
Teebs
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by cpchem)
Mostly because it's the only club in Oxford that they can spell the name of :rofl:
Oooo burn.

[moral high ground]
Your service to the cause of Oxbridge admissions is, as ever, appreciated. All you're doing there is fortifying the stereotype of Oxbridge students as snobby and up themselves. It's people like you that stop talented state schoolers from applying because they think Old Etonians like you will mock their Northern accents. I'm not sure whether it's worse if you do it from ignorance or are deliberately trying to keep out those you consider 'lessers'. In fact, I think it would be fair to say you're solely responsible for all of the problems in Oxbridge recruitment. Plus, you're not even grounding things in fact. MY DEGREE IS JUST AS GOOD AS YOURS! Even if I am a Brookes student.
[/moral high ground]
cpchem
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Teebs)
Oooo burn.

[moral high ground]
Your service to the cause of Oxbridge admissions is, as ever, appreciated. All you're doing there is fortifying the stereotype of Oxbridge students as snobby and up themselves. It's people like you that stop talented state schoolers from applying because they think Old Etonians like you will mock their Northern accents. I'm not sure whether it's worse if you do it from ignorance or are deliberately trying to keep out those you consider 'lessers'. In fact, I think it would be fair to say you're solely responsible for all of the problems in Oxbridge recruitment. Plus, you're not even grounding things in fact. MY DEGREE IS JUST AS GOOD AS YOURS! Even if I am a Brookes student.
[/moral high ground]
:teehee:
Teebs
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by cpchem)
:teehee:
Watch it or I'll use my superior knowledge of obscure Eastern European languages to further crush you :p:
probably not
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
pretty sure they can spell "pt"

(not sure who "they" are, mind)
Teebs
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by probably not)
pretty sure they can spell "pt"

(not sure who "they" are, mind)
I'm a Brookes student now, so Brookes studnets would be 'my lot'
Turdburger
Report 9 years ago
pt perhaps, purple turtle would be pushing it though.
Mayfly
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
It isnt even that cheap
Compared to Bridge et al. Vodka coke is pretty cheap...also we come straight from the college bar, we're already at the 'just one more drink...' stage.
Turdburger
Report 9 years ago
Compared to Bridge et al. Vodka coke is pretty cheap...also we come straight from the college bar, we're already at the 'just one more drink...' stage.
How much is a vodka and coke btw. Never drank spirits at PT before.
Cirsium
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
BTW Fresherlings. The best place in oxford is the O2 academy (though Boo judging by her last post will probably still call it the zodiac ) down Cowley Road.
At a push, I might refer to it as the Carling Academy :yup: It was my flatmate who wrote was the subject of the scathing article in the Cherwell when it was taken over, because he wrote some petition to someone important...
probably not
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
oh i remember that, "our venues should keep losing money for some impossible ideological aim (ps we never go to gigs at small venues)"
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Oxford
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 3 Jul '19
  • University of Oxford
    Thu, 4 Jul '19
  • University of Oxford
    Fri, 20 Sep '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (558)
37.78%
No - but I will (115)
7.79%
No - I don't want to (103)
6.97%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (701)
47.46%

Watched Threads