Now that is one to read most definitely
I might read it today. :woo:
Srxjer
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo)
Srsly, why do you even have to bother saying that? Honestly, it's such a boring and tiresome thing to say. No one cares if you think it's fiction - absolutely no one.

OP; do I ever read the bible? Not if I can avoid it... I'ma failed Christian
I didn't expect anyone to care, that's why I posted it.

Just my two cents, free speech and all that.
Qaz25
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by fallen angel9)
I might read it today. :woo:
Just don't ever read it before going to bed coz you'll get some scary nightmares :p:
Emily069
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Biggest translation fail ever.

Also biggest morality fail ever.
username196545
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Srxjer)
I didn't expect anyone to care, that's why I posted it.

Just my two cents, free speech and all that.

That's nothing to do with free speech. I'm not questioning your right to say it, just your point.

I can say "I hate the quran" and I'm totally free to say it, that doesn't make it at all relevant..
fire2burn
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Background: Atheist
Ever read it: Yup, but found it a tad dull.
Qaz25
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
That's nothing to do with free speech. I'm not questioning your right to say it, just your point.

I can say "I hate the quran" and I'm totally free to say it, that doesn't make it at all relevant..
The question is... do you really???????? :shock:

:p:
PurpleMonkeyDishwasher
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago

I don't see the problem. He thinks it's an interesting fairytale; he's saying something positive about the book and complimenting the author. I don't think that's irrelevant.
gm15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
"There are facts in the bible" Yes some but unless you are christian its fictitious too,
There are some facts in books like Da vinci code too but for the most part its ficiton.

"that's just an irrelevant thing to say"
No its not you attacked somebody for saying that they believe the bible to be overall fictitious. The Op asked what peole thought of it and that's what that person beleived so it was relevant as was my post.

Think logically if a person is not christian then they are going to beleive that at least some of it is ficiton (in that they don't think its reality). They may agree that some references actual historical events. That doesn't change the fact that to non chrisitans it is not wholly factual
herzblut
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Yes, though I did gloss over some of the dryer bits.

I'm a former Roman Catholic. The proper no fish on a friday, sunday school, cross in every room, booze and crackers in church kind. Now I'm just agnostic wastrel :awesome:
fallen angel9
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Qaz25)
Just don't ever read it before going to bed coz you'll get some scary nightmares :p:
I'm excited now. :o:
King4eva
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by fallen angel9)
I've read most of it I think. Haven't read Revelations though apparently there's a lot of crazy stuff happening there! I know John's Gospel like the back of my hand though.

Oh, religious background: raised as a Catholic, now I'm an agnostic I'd say.
Revelations is scary, i try and avoid!!!!!
joey11223
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I can say "I hate the quran"
SHE'S NOT SERIOUS GUYS! It's just an example...it's all good...lets just...slowly back away and take Bubbles to the safe house...just..to see what a safe house looks like.:p:

Anyway

Religion: Well I do say I seem to have mislaid it! (Atheist:p: .)

Bible readingness: Yeah I've read the majority, I think I skipped a bit when it was like " and X fathered Y and Z, and they fathered D, and D fathered these guys, and they...etc".
Drunk Punx
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I want to post a funny picture, but seeing as it's likely to be funny to Atheists alone, plus it might not be "relevant" ( :p: ), so I'll refrain from doing so... this time.

Religion: Atheist (more of a belief/morality thing rather than a religion, but I'll play along)
Ever read it: Glossed through it when I was younger just out of interest, when the Old Testament God was actually cool because he liked his revenge and wars, but when I got to the whole "Walking on water, healing with his hands, Jesus rules all" bit, I got bored.
fran.ha
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Not religious, read parts of it.
Dijobla
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Is it actually impossible for someone to pose a decent question on TSR to do with religion without an Atheist having to get a quick-jab in? Seriously?

Religous background: I've floated in and out with religion alot. Raised Christian, verging on Agnostic now.

Have I read it: Very large chunks of it.

Oh, and I like how many people are casually just saying they've read it cover to cover. :rolleyes:
roots
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Religion: Islam

Bible: Read the 4 gospels and some other bits of NT. Some of the five books of the Jewish scripture and Isiah i think.
geetar
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I know various episodes and phrases - quoting the bible makes you seem incredibly intelligent if you're not religious - but I've never properly sat down and read it.

(I'm an atheist)
SkinnyKat
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Atheist. Read a lot of it.
englandforever
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Atheist. Only read it in school when I had to
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (344)
37.84%
No - but I will (72)
7.92%
No - I don't want to (65)
7.15%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (428)
47.08%

Watched Threads