Why does the government treat smoking as worse than drinking? Watch

randomgirl
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
People need to drink in order to survive (sure, water is obviously more beneficial than booze, but alcoholic beverages can prevent dehydration all the same.)

Whereas there is absolutely no need to smoke in order to survive.
judicious
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by randomgirl)
People need to drink in order to survive (sure, water is obviously more beneficial than booze, but alcoholic beverages can prevent dehydration all the same.)

Whereas there is absolutely no need to smoke in order to survive.

This must be one of the worst attempts at making drinking seem good....

Alcohol dehydrates you for goodness sake!!!!

Where do you get this info???
Drunk Punx
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by MichaelG)
Think about the type of people who stereotypically votes for the party thats in power.
What, you mean the working class people like me who usually smoke while building walls then go to the pub in the evening? (MASSIVE GENERALISATION TIME FOR THE WIN!)

Your post is lost on me. :eek3:
Drunk Punx
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by judicious)
This must be one of the worst attempts at making drinking seem good....

Alcohol dehydrates you for goodness sake!!!!

Where do you get this info???
It comes from a Moderator as well!

I thought these people were supposed to be smart.
judicious
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Drunk Punx)
It comes from a Moderator as well!

I thought these people were supposed to be smart.
I know.... shocking stuff!!

It did provide some amusement though
tired yet?
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
also smoking ******* STINKS and you know it.
Drunk Punx
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I know.... shocking stuff!!

It did provide some amusement though
Aha, indeed.

Ooh, I passed 100 posts... true story. :yep:

I guess maybe the Mods don't drink that much... either that, or they are left wondering why they have a headache after a heavy night out. :eek3:
Drunk Punx
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by tired yet?)
also smoking ******* STINKS and you know it.
To a non-smoker, aye.

Although before I started, I can never recall my dad coming in stinking of ****, even though I can sometimes smell it on myself after having one. 'tis quite weird.

And I think the level of stench (it comes in levels now, y'know...) depends on what they've been smoking.
judicious
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Aha, indeed.

Ooh, I passed 100 posts... true story. :yep:

I guess maybe the Mods don't drink that much... either that, or they are left wondering why they have a headache after a heavy night out. :eek3:
To be honest I think many people are under the illusion that drinking poses no risks and that the only way it can hurt you is if you drink a 12 pints a day and the you may **** up your liver....

They also think that moderate drinking is going out on the pish every weekend and downing 10 pints along with a few shots lol....
judicious
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
To a non-smoker, aye.

Although before I started, I can never recall my dad coming in stinking of ****, even though I can sometimes smell it on myself after having one. 'tis quite weird.

And I think the level of stench (it comes in levels now, y'know...) depends on what they've been smoking.
That is defo true.... some **** stink more than others.... Marlboro Lights has a very strong smell!!!

As an ex-smoker I must admit that only now do I realise how badly ****/smokers smell!!!
Drunk Punx
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
To be honest I think many people are under the illusion that drinking poses no risks and that the only way it can hurt you is if you drink a 12 pints a day and the you may **** up your liver....

They also think that moderate drinking is going out on the pish every weekend and downing 10 pints along with a few shots lol....
Yep, that's about a moderate drinking session for me.

Well, kinda. I prefer to sup the pints first, just to take in the taste, admire the flavour... after about 5 or so you start to lose the initial appreciation of a fine beverage as they fly down the hatch. :woo:

12 pints a day is brutal though, I don't know anyone who drinks that much, not personally anyway.

Besides, I do know someone who, on the first time they got drunk, chose to drink a whole bottle of vodka to themselves and had to be taken to hospital. *facepalm*
Drunk Punx
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
That is defo true.... some **** stink more than others.... Marlboro Lights has a very strong smell!!!

As an ex-smoker I must admit that only now do I realise how badly ****/smokers smell!!!
I always feel bad smoking around non-smokers... to me, it feels like I'm kinda rubbing it in. I dunno how that works because it's pretty bad logic. :p:
"Har har, I'm still slowly killing myself, whereas you stopped doing that years ago!" sort of thing.
judicious
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I always feel bad smoking around non-smokers... to me, it feels like I'm kinda rubbing it in. I dunno how that works because it's pretty bad logic. :p:
"Har har, I'm still slowly killing myself, whereas you stopped doing that years ago!" sort of thing.

No, I know what you mean!! I used to get that feeling too.... like you knew that you smoking infront of them would cause them to crave for a smoke!!!

Tbh I still get the odd craving here and there but it is all under control....
judicious
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Yep, that's about a moderate drinking session for me.

Well, kinda. I prefer to sup the pints first, just to take in the taste, admire the flavour... after about 5 or so you start to lose the initial appreciation of a fine beverage as they fly down the hatch. :woo:

12 pints a day is brutal though, I don't know anyone who drinks that much, not personally anyway.

Besides, I do know someone who, on the first time they got drunk, chose to drink a whole bottle of vodka to themselves and had to be taken to hospital. *facepalm*
Yeah I think 12-a-day is a bit too far although I wouldn't be surprised but I was just illustrating my point lol...

And as for the "someone" who drunk a whole bottle of Vodka on their own for their first time well tbh that is just an epic fail!!!
Drunk Punx
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
No, I know what you mean!! I used to get that feeling too.... like you knew that you smoking infront of them would cause them to crave for a smoke!!!

Tbh I still get the odd craving here and there but it is all under control....
Good stuff.

There have been times when I realise that I should probably quit... the two very good reasons being health and money. But I always seem to put those reasons to the side and search for another one, and I haven't been able to find one yet. :p:
Drunk Punx
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Yeah I think 12-a-day is a bit too far although I wouldn't be surprised but I was just illustrating my point lol...

And as for the "someone" who drunk a whole bottle of Vodka on their own for their first time well tbh that is just an epic fail!!!
It was my ex, nonetheless. *giggles*

She was 13 or 14 at the time of the drinking, bless her.

Youth drinking is a bit of a problem when they're not responsible enough to be doing it. *shakes head sadly*
Same goes for sex, actually. It's amazing how often you see people on Jeremy Kyle and the like (not a huge fan, just watch it when I'm round my mates in the morning), and he always has to say "PUT SOMETHING ON THE END OF IT!!!"
geetar
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I agree that binge drinking may well be as much of a health threat as smoking, but drinking moderately is fine. There is even some evidence that it might actually be good for you.

If you smoke on a regular basis, you almost certainly will develop health problems.

But, yes, Britain does have a binge-drinking problem.
simcard2007
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Smoking Is Bad Drink Isnt Anyone With Me Guys??
Drunk Punx
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by geetar)
I agree that binge drinking may well be as much of a health threat as smoking, but drinking moderately is fine. There is even some evidence that it might actually be good for you.

If you smoke on a regular basis, you almost certainly will develop health problems.

But, yes, Britain does have a binge-drinking problem.
Yus, I heard on the radio a while back that there was some correlation between a woman drinking a pint a day and some form of health improvement. Why it doesn't apply to men I have no idea, but hey, I'm no scientist.

I think they also say that a glass of wine a day is good for you, but I hate wine. :p:
Acquired taste and whatnot.
Drunk Punx
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by simcard2007)
Smoking Is Bad Drink Isnt Anyone With Me Guys??
I misread that and thought you were asking for people to drink with you for a minute there.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (551)
37.82%
No - but I will (114)
7.82%
No - I don't want to (102)
7%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (690)
47.36%

Watched Threads