Loop Hole in the ucas system for Oxbridge applications? Watch

This discussion is closed.
hobnob
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Jenii)
I think it is worth doing this- wish I'd thought of it!

I'm sure some unis do have bias against people who have applied to Oxbridge. If they have the best course in subject X in the country after Oxbridge they'll think a top notch applicant who applies on the 20th of October has put it as his/her top choice and it might make them like the applicant more.
If they have the best course in the country after Oxbridge, though, they'll be realistic enough to know that the vast majority of their applicants will be applying to both. But they'll also know that 75% of them won't actually get an Oxbridge offer and would therefore be eager to have an offer by the University of (Nearly) Best in the Country. What reason would they have to award people brownie points for advance loyalty? It won't turn them into better applicants, after all...
I think other unis reject applicants who are good if they don't think they'll pick there. For examples- everyone who applied to Oxford PPE I know was rejected from Manchester's PPE course...I seriously doubt this was because all thee applicants just weren't what Manchester were looking for.
Perhaps not, but might it not have had something to do with the fact that Manchester happens to be the most oversubscribed university in the UK?:dontknow:
marshey
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Just imagine the amount of UCAS forms each university has to look at...Presumerably if you're applying to oxbridge then you're also applying to other competitive unis, so they probabley have more than the average amount of applicants. Then think how long it would take to sort out those who MAY have applied to oxbridge...

Just think to yourself, do you really think they would go to the effort? If anyone can prove me otherwise, I'm all ears.
PrideOfTheSouth
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Interesting 'loophole'. Does this mean it would be possible to apply early to Oxford with a Personal statement that clearly highlights PPE as your prefferred degree whilst then re-applying later to other uni's with a slightly altered personal statement that highlights say Politics and Philosophy? Also does it mean that you could in effect apply to 6 unis?
Good bloke
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by PrideOfTheSouth)
Interesting 'loophole'. Does this mean it would be possible to apply early to Oxford with a Personal statement that clearly highlights PPE as your prefferred degree whilst then re-applying later to other uni's with a slightly altered personal statement that highlights say Politics and Philosophy? Also does it mean that you could in effect apply to 6 unis?
No, nothing else about your application can be changed when you add a choice. And you certainly can't apply for six, other than via UCAS Extra and clearing.
Craghyrax
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Phalanges)
Or you could just apply to all of the universities straight away, safe in the knowledge that they won't know where else you applied and will not prejudice you in any way because of it.

Or you could just carry on wearing your tin foil hat and going to conspiracy meetings on the first sunday of every month.
:rofl: [/THREAD] :yep:
Phalanges
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Craghyrax)
:rofl: [/THREAD] :yep:
:top2:
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • University of East Anglia
    Could you inspire the next generation? Find out more about becoming a Primary teacher with UEA… Postgraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Health, Education, Medicine and Social Care; Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences; Business and Law; Science and Engineering Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (508)
37.71%
No - but I will (103)
7.65%
No - I don't want to (92)
6.83%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (644)
47.81%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed