Course Sign Up Watch

naddles
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Maccountant)
Why is everyone in a rush to choose their courses? It even says on the course choice menu thing to speak to your tutor before.
I hope you have good tutors!
astudent
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Speaking to your tutor will probably go like this: T: 'So why you wanna do this option' Me: 'well I took a similar subject at a-level and want an essay subject to contrast the rest of the core program' T: 'mmm K'
Maccountant
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by astudent)
Speaking to your tutor will probably go like this: T: 'So why you wanna do this option' Me: 'well I took a similar subject at a-level and want an essay subject to contrast the rest of the core program' T: 'mmm K'
Can you give me some advice about IS143...Is it a good subject to take? Alot of essay writing?

What about ID100?
naddles
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
That is so true!!
Lord Roem
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
(Original post by iampudge)
I was wondering the same thing too... but I'm doing History and there's an outside option. Maybe I should email them. Does anyone know if the courses have quotas? I'm not too worried because they won't be finalised until we speak to the tutors right?
The only courses with quotas are a few economics and history modules in second and third year and the language courses.

The only reason that I applied now was because the Russia tutor said to sign up ASAP and that both of the Government modules are compulsary either this year or next.
naddles
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Can you give me some advice about IS143...Is it a good subject to take? Alot of essay writing?

What about ID100?
I've done both of those modules IS143 has a compulsory 5000 word essay, ID100 is all about essay you'll have to write four throughout the year. But both are really straightforward!
Maccountant
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by naddles)
I've done both of those modules IS143 has a compulsory 5000 word essay, ID100 is all about essay you'll have to write four throughout the year. But both are really straightforward!
Oh ok. I'm seriously considering doing IS143. Is it easy to get a 2:1? Is the essay done over MT and LT? When is it due in?

Is there alot of stuff to remember for the exam?

I heard there's some group work involved as well.

Would appreciate a good answer mate as I might just choose my modules now.
astudent
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
You have to hand in the essay week 15, so halfway through the lent term. To be honest I found IS143 seminars a bit dull, but writing the essay quite entertaining (first proper research essay). Its also ridiculously easy to get a first in, i revised from the lecture slides 3 days before the exam, about 6 hours in total and got a decent first.

Although getting a first in the essay is much harder and I spent loads of thime, especially in the weeks prior to the deadline perfecting it.

Edit: also the class teacher and lecturers are quite good, although i only went to around 50% of lectures.
Maccountant
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
You have to hand in the essay week 15, so halfway through the lent term. To be honest I found IS143 seminars a bit dull, but writing the essay quite entertaining (first proper research essay). Its also ridiculously easy to get a first in, i revised from the lecture slides 3 days before the exam, about 6 hours in total and got a decent first.

Although getting a first in the essay is much harder and I spent loads of thime, especially in the weeks prior to the deadline perfecting it.
Cheers
naddles
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Oh ok. I'm seriously considering doing IS143. Is it easy to get a 2:1? Is the essay done over MT and LT? When is it due in?

Is there alot of stuff to remember for the exam?

I heard there's some group work involved as well.

Would appreciate a good answer mate as I might just choose my modules now.
IS143 is a guranteed 2.1 maybe even a first!A lot of people started their revision a few days before and achieved 2.1 including myself!All you need to know for the exam is the lecture slides and some outside knowledge which you can easily get from BBC, IS examiners love that. As for the group work, you'll be part of a team of four or five. All you have to do is create a website on an IS issue security, biometrics etc. Ontop of that you'll have to write a personal reflection which is a 500 word report on how the team performed (basically who did the work and who did nothing) and what you could do better. This counts for 10% and nearly everyone got full marks! The 5000 word essay which is on IS topic you want. It's due at the end of LT, which should be started during MT as you need to submit what you've done by December
Maccountant
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
IS143 is a guranteed 2.1 maybe even a first!A lot of people started their revision a few days before and achieved 2.1 including myself!All you need to know for the exam is the lecture slides and some outside knowledge which you can easily get from BBC, IS examiners love that. As for the group work, you'll be part of a team of four or five. All you have to do is create a website on an IS issue security, biometrics etc. Ontop of that you'll have to write a personal reflection which is a 500 word report on how the team performed (basically who did the work and who did nothing) and what you could do better. This counts for 10% and nearly everyone got full marks! The 5000 word essay which is on IS topic you want. It's due at the end of LT, which should be started during MT as you need to submit what you've done by December
Thanks. You've just made my decision
naddles
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago

Edit: also the class teacher and lecturers are quite good, although i only went to around 50% of lectures.
Who did you have? Our class teacher was useless so useless everyone gave up going to his seminars by LT! But lecturers are really good, there was no need to attend them anyway everything was online
naddles
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Thanks. You've just made my decision
All the best!
astudent
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Who did you have? Our class teacher was useless so useless everyone gave up going to his seminars by LT! But lecturers are really good, there was no need to attend them anyway everything was online
I thought there was only one class teacher (at least this was the case last year) - A. Martin
naddles
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I thought there was only one class teacher (at least this was the case last year) - A. Martin
We had Aaron and Johnathan Wang, the latter was mine but he didn't teach for a 2nd year which was no big suprise
astudent
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
We had Aaron and Johnathan Wang, the latter was mine but he didn't teach for a 2nd year which was no big suprise
Unlucky, but still you could've changed class if you really wanted to.
naddles
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Unlucky, but still you could've changed class if you really wanted to.
Either that or have a day off:p: If it was any other module I would have opted for a better class
astudent
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Either that or have a day off:p: If it was any other module I would have opted for a better class
Haha true that, IS143 lectures were a nice time to get stuck in some PES
naddles
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Haha true that, IS143 lectures were a nice time to get stuck in some PES
haha did you choose IS340 as well?
astudent
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
haha did you choose IS340 as well?
Nah Im doing MA200/201 + ec210 for my options this year
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• London School of Economics and Political Science
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 4 Jul '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (213)
39.23%
No - but I will (38)
7%
No - I don't want to (36)
6.63%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (256)
47.15%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed