Ravc? Watch

Northern
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I am proven wrong again:yep:

I assumed we had some sort of miltary presence in germany and you wanted to work there from your other posts.
However i wasn't aware there were many "animal units" based out there could you enlighten me a bit please?
ClaireW2708
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
You'll have to bear with me as I'm at college doing this from meory rather than from my lovely notes at home
I beleive its the Working Dogs Unit at Sennelager in Germany.

Here's a few of the RAVC units [I <3 wikipedia ]

101 Military Working Dog Support Unit RAVC, based at Buller Barracks, Aldershot; part of 101 Logistic Brigade.
102 Military Working Dog Support Unit RAVC, based at Sennelager in Germany.
103 Military Working Dog Support Unit RAVC, also at Sennelager and
104 Military Working Dog Support Unit RAVC, based at St George's Barracks in North Luffenham, Rutland.
105 Military Working Dog Support Unit RAVC is the newest addition (as of April 2009) and is also based at Sennelager.

And I do want to work in Germany I love it xD
Northern
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Cool!

Germany is a meat eaters heaven and a vegetarians hell = win:yep:
ClaireW2708
Rep:
?
Love it I do like a good schnitzel xD
clair0511
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by ClaireW2708)
Actually, although a lot of the Corps is based in the UK,a large proportion is at Sennelager in Germany. Whcih majorly appeals to me. But yes, in some instances its not gonna be nice stroll in the park areas.

Oh, and everyone is right. Basically, you are a soldier, then a vet. But you only have 4 weeks at Sandhurst,so they have to be pretty desperate to use you as a pure soldier!
I don't know how I'll handle the 'killing people' aspect, if it comes to that. If its me or them, lets face it, I'll do everything in my power to make sure its me thats going home in one piece. But I can't say I'd find it easy.

And for the record, I don't agree with Iraq/Afghanistan either. However, I have immense respect for our troops who and doing thier utmost in dangerous situations they may not support the motives behind. I'm not doing it for the wars we're in, but for the animals who deserve the best care available.
Hi
It's something I considered when I was first applying for vet school (but I'd be too old now! like Pyrogena!) but was put off by the thought of only treating dogs and horses and nothing else. The war aspect was not such a big deal in the 90s, and there were bases in Hong Kong, Canada, Germany and more places back then.

You really, really have to think about how you will cope with the war aspect though. A friend of mine in USA (admittedly a different situation to the British army) signed up for the US army as an opthamologist (spelling?).....it was a great way to pay her (expensive) uni fees.....but she graduated in summer 2001......what happened then? 9/11! US army suddenly deployed to even more extreme places - after training in Texas she spent tours in Iraq, Korea and Afghanistan.....not much fun there.

If you're just doing it to work in Germany - then just work in Germany (although vet work is limited there). On an army base you won't really be living in "Germany" - you may be in the country but the base is UK, with UK shops, all Brits etc. (American bases even have their own shops and petrol stations outside the bases but along the Autobahn!)

But if you really want to do it, then good for you. Totally agree with you about disagreeing with the war but supporting the soldiers
Towser
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Don't wanna start a debate here, but supporting soldiers is supporting the war. They knew they were supporting war when they signed up, and as soon as they're done with one war, they know and accept that they'll be shipped to the next war in the next country. It's the life they signed up for and wanted.
Northern
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Towser)
Don't wanna start a debate here,
Unfortunatley you probs just have
ClaireW2708
Rep:
?
(Original post by clair0511)
You really, really have to think about how you will cope with the war aspect though.
If you're just doing it to work in Germany - then just work in Germany (although vet work is limited there). On an army base you won't really be living in "Germany" - you may be in the country but the base is UK, with UK shops, all Brits etc. (American bases even have their own shops and petrol stations outside the bases but along the Autobahn!)
I guess I didn't really make myself clear.. its not just about germany, I'd love to work there but other places as well. Its just likely I'd spend a tour in Germany. And having grown up for a bit with British Forces in Germany, I know if you want to be inolved in Germany culture and stuff, it is available. We lived on base, but went to German kindergarten and primary school for the 3 years we were there.

(Original post by Northern)
(Original post by Towser)
Don't wanna start a debate here,
Unfortunatley you probs just have
Ok, whilst there are so many things I could say here, we are unlikely to agree and that's not what the thread is about, so I'll leave it :o:
clair0511
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by ClaireW2708)
I guess I didn't really make myself clear.. its not just about germany, I'd love to work there but other places as well. Its just likely I'd spend a tour in Germany. And having grown up for a bit with British Forces in Germany, I know if you want to be inolved in Germany culture and stuff, it is available. We lived on base, but went to German kindergarten and primary school for the 3 years we were there.
Oh that's fine then.....I thought you were naive about being stationed abroad but you have more experience of it than me (I lived in Niedersachsen and Hessen for a while, but not with the army! My cousins were based there for a while though)

Dann wunsch ich dir viel Glück

Just out of interest (apart from war zones) where else can you be stationed nowadays? Germany and Northern Ireland, where else?
pyrogena
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Oh that's fine then.....I thought you were naive about being stationed abroad but you have more experience of it than me (I lived in Niedersachsen and Hessen for a while, but not with the army! My cousins were based there for a while though)

Just out of interest (apart from war zones) where else can you be stationed nowadays? Germany and Northern Ireland, where else?
Sunny Aldershot?
ClaireW2708
Rep:
?

Vielen Dank
(Original post by pyrogena)
Sunny Aldershot?
Indeed =D
Germany, Ireland, DAC [Melton Mowbray], Aldershot, the odd war zone, CYprus, Gibraltar, Sierra Leone, Falkalnds, basically anywhere British forces are as vets are useful for quite a few things.
:o:
Enor
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Hi

The army's not for me but i can understand why it does appeal though. Hello to all 2010 applicants, I'm a reapplicant this year...

Hope all's going well with your UCAS's!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (256)
39.02%
No - but I will (45)
6.86%
No - I don't want to (47)
7.16%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (308)
46.95%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed