Saying i live with my nana to get EMA Watch

carmcarm
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by sandettielightvessel)
£30/week.

OP - it's fraud - whether you'd get caught or not is another matter, but the point remains.
Yeah, I thought so.

OP, being so sneaky at such a young age? People should watch out for you when you're older.
AndrewFromTheNorth
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
It's not that i *NEED* the money or, you're right, i would just get a job, but it's more that i see all these people getting free money who can buy whatever they want (within reason) like games, LOADS of cigarettes, lots of clothes and i can't and it's really demotivating.

And i didn't realise this was benefit fraud and frowned upon so much, especially when so many people do it. And no, i don't swindle money off people. I have never smoked, drank, done drugs, stole or anything before. It's so easy for people to say 'oh well just deal with it' or 'get a job' when they're getting EMA themselves. I wouldn't have bothered asking if i knew it would cause so much controversy.
username211340
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I can understand where the OP is coming from - my father earned 40K a year when I lived there, which is good. However, that was spread between 4 children, an extortionate mortgage and past debt. I got no money to support me, and I mean NOTHING. My job just covered bus fare and lunches. If I'd have had EMA my life would have been so much easier. Not all parents who earn over 30K a year can afford to support their kids, especially if there's 4, like in my family, so those who say that it's "specifically for disadvantaged students" are not seeing the big picture. An only child whose parents earn 20k will be better off than a child who is one of four whose parents earn 40k... So let's not judge.
JustCallMeKate
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
You didn't realise lying about who you lived with to generate false income from the government was fraud?
lella_m
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by AndrewFromTheNorth)
It's not that i *NEED* the money or, you're right, i would just get a job, but it's more that i see all these people getting free money who can buy whatever they want (within reason) like games, LOADS of cigarettes, lots of clothes and i can't and it's really demotivating.

And i didn't realise this was benefit fraud and frowned upon so much, especially when so many people do it. And no, i don't swindle money off people. I have never smoked, drank, done drugs, stole or anything before. It's so easy for people to say 'oh well just deal with it' or 'get a job' when they're getting EMA themselves. I wouldn't have bothered asking if i knew it would cause so much controversy.
I get EMA and I still can't afford to buy all of those things.

(yes, I also have a job)
donks169
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by JustCallMeKate)
If you want more money, what happened to just getting a job?

There really is no need to try and play a system in place to help actually disadvantaged students.
I know of no system which actually does this. EMA just gives people (usually with their own jobs) more money to spend on ****. People recieving EMA should get vouchers for school supplies and buses, not free money for their free education.

[/rant]
JustCallMeKate
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by donks169)
I know of no system which actually does this. EMA just gives people (usually with their own jobs) more money to spend on ****. People recieving EMA should get vouchers for school supplies and buses, not free money for their free education.

[/rant]
I agree it isn't perfect. There are students that will spend that money on useless rubbish and others who will spend it on school supplies/train fare and all that. Still, the system isn't in place to allow kids to buy more cigarettes, it is an attempt to help those who need some income to realistically stay on in school.
gummers
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I get EMA so I can LOL at people who dont get it..
I know people who have done this before OP and haven't got caught.
WhereIsMyMind
Badges: 2
Report 9 years ago
xx
I wouldn't do it. If you're at a disadvantage; in that your parents aren't able to facilitate the purchases of resources for school - then I could perhaps, maybe understand. :o:

However, if your motives for falsely claiming for EMA are solely that you feel 'left out' then you should be ashamed. :mad:

If I'm *totally* honest, and that you only wanted/needed it, so you could spend money on books etc, then I wouldn't have a problem with you falsely claiming it. I mean, I know several people that are entitled to it, and end up spending it on booze etc. Therefore, it'll be a pleasant surprise having someone spending it on what it was created for. :yep:
Georgiahoneybee
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Life isn't fair- yes other people (justly or unjustly) get EMA, but the fact is you don't. You've said you don't need the money, you're just jealous of what other people can afford. To be honest you do need to get over it, you can't go through your whole life being like "but everything else is getting x". If you want those things so badly, due to the position you are in, you will have to work for them (well or commit fraud as you are suggesting).
inksplodge
  • CV Helper
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
My boyfriend's friend did that. He got £30 a week but lived very comfortably in a 6 bedroom house in a very nice place, had everything you could ever dream of and his own car. It's downright disgusting.
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I'll be honest here, my parents live apart, but are married. Dad works 3 jobs, mum works 3 as well. We applied and I got £30 a week which was actually spent when I needed an emergency taxi ride to thehospital as I had internal bleeding from my Crohns whilst at college..

Give it a shot. I hate kids who get it and spend it on booze/****, so get it and be better than them by not doing it, plus, combined with a job, you'll be in the dosh.
Trevor 12345
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago

You really seem to be missing the point.

IT ISN'T YOUR MONEY TO HAVE.
sarah_22_16
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Does your mum pay for your food for lunch for school. Does she give you travel money? Buy your books for school? Stuff for school like coats and things that are necessary? Yes?

Thought so. Thats what my EMA pays for. People like you trying to con the system make me sick.
AndrewFromTheNorth
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
(Original post by sarah_22_16)
Does your mum pay for your food for lunch for school. Does she give you travel money? Buy your books for school? Stuff for school like coats and things that are necessary?
Yes, but she wouldn't if i got EMA, that would pay for it. Just like your mum would have to pay for all that for you if you didn't get EMA. In which case would you not want it if you seen people going around spending it on rubbish if you weren't entitled to it?

(Original post by inksplodge)
My boyfriend's friend did that. He got £30 a week but lived very comfortably in a 6 bedroom house in a very nice place, had everything you could ever dream of and his own car. It's downright disgusting.
That i disagree with. I can assure you now we're not even 'well off'. We're in lots of debt, heh. And i definitely don't have my own car!:zomg:

And i'm not a bad guy by the way, i'm actually quite nice. Not the type who would try to swindle every last penny off the government, i was just under the impression that this was something loads of people did, just like (and i apologise for the rubbish example, its the only one i could think of, folks) everybody got their playstations chipped years ago and nobody really looked down on it.

Now people have made it clear (very clear, in fact) that it's actually a looked-down upon thing and quite a low thing to do, i'll not push any further towards getting it. I obviously got the wrong impression about how something like that would be perceieved.

People make mistakes. Hopefully people on here can understand that?
kurdish1
Report 9 years ago
Yeah, you'd be committing benefit fraud. You'd never get caught, for £30 a week is it worth being a worthless piece of ****?
i totally agree. Think about the students that truely need the £30 for travel expenses and cannot aford to study at points. Please Get a job.
kurdish1
Report 9 years ago
Yeah, you'd be committing benefit fraud. You'd never get caught, for £30 a week is it worth being a worthless piece of ****?
FONT="Book Antiqua"]i totally agree. Think about the students that truely need the £30 for travel expenses and cannot aford to study at points. Please Get a job. [/FONT]
Joseph90
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
If your parents are in debt, inform your college and CAB. They might be able to help you, without you having to resort to illegal means.
Trevor 12345
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Yes, but she wouldn't if i got EMA, that would pay for it. Just like your mum would have to pay for all that for you if you didn't get EMA. In which case would you not want it if you seen people going around spending it on rubbish if you weren't entitled to it?

That i disagree with. I can assure you now we're not even 'well off'. We're in lots of debt, heh. And i definitely don't have my own car!:zomg:

And i'm not a bad guy by the way, i'm actually quite nice. Not the type who would try to swindle every last penny off the government, i was just under the impression that this was something loads of people did, just like (and i apologise for the rubbish example, its the only one i could think of, folks) everybody got their playstations chipped years ago and nobody really looked down on it.

Now people have made it clear (very clear, in fact) that it's actually a looked-down upon thing and quite a low thing to do, i'll not push any further towards getting it. I obviously got the wrong impression about how something like that would be perceieved.

People make mistakes. Hopefully people on here can understand that?
˙˙˙˙˙˙˙ɹǝʎdɐdxɐʇ ǝɥʇ s,ʇı ' ɟɟo ʎǝuoɯ ǝɥʇ ƃuıןpuıʍs ǝq pןnoʍ noʎ ʇɐɥʇ ʇuǝɯuɹǝʌoƃ ǝɥʇ ʇ,usı ʇı
inksplodge
  • CV Helper
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Well, the guy I'm talking about was definitely well off. Kind of made me angry. We're struggling by on just under £200 a week here, yet this guy had everything and still went through loopholes to get an extra £30 a week. I'd gladly swap if he wasn't content with his lifestyle!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (322)
37.49%
No - but I will (67)
7.8%
No - I don't want to (62)
7.22%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (408)
47.5%

Watched Threads