username227084
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
(Original post by bigmo7)
They're working on that aren't they?

It's scary stuff imo....
Imagine if you could recreate someone's brain from that stored information, and implant it into a clone? You'd gradually build up superhumans who have the experience, wisdom and knowledge of several lifespans. The hardest thing for each clone would be the acknowledgment that the future "them" would live another adult life with all the same knowledge to start off with, and expand on that knowledge. Each lifespan would be just one part of the whole superconsciousness.

Imagine the greatest minds continued in this way though... it'd be the ultimate self-sacrifice and a boon to society. Then again, it could create the ultimate, long-lasting genius of a superdictator.

Hmm, I see a film plot in this... :woo:
joeahuja
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
lool conjecture and rumours....if they're good enough fo jeremy kyle they're good enough for me
joeahuja
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
naa just jokin i'm gonna stick with them not being replaced cos it hasn't been proved otherwise :P
joeahuja
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by mazza558)
Imagine if you could recreate someone's brain from that stored information, and implant it into a clone? You'd gradually build up superhumans who have the experience, wisdom and knowledge of several lifespans. The hardest thing for each clone would be the acknowledgment that the future "them" would live another adult life with all the same knowledge to start off with, and expand on that knowledge. Each lifespan would be just one part of the whole superconsciousness.

Imagine the greatest minds continued in this way though... it'd be the ultimate self-sacrifice and a boon to society. Then again, it could create the ultimate, long-lasting genius of a superdictator.

Hmm, I see a film plot in this... :woo:
It'll be in the cinemas by christmas now that you've posted that on here...should've bin more careful ;P
herzblut
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I've clarified the original post. Read it again and see what you think. The idea would be deconstructing and reconstructing your molecules rather than destroying the original for no reason.

See above :p:

okay. This is tough. I've always thought that our experiences as a human being are what shape and mould us into who we are and if the new copy has your memories and shares your experiences it is essentially you. It is still a little creepy though.
Mr Edward Ucation
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Your particles are moved not replicated.
username227084
Rep:
?
(Original post by Craig_D)
Well there isn't a single cell in your body that was in you the day you was born. There isn't a single cell inside your Mother that was in her the day you was born.

Are you the same person as that original baby? Is your Mother still the person that gave birth to you? If your answer to these is 'yes' then the answer to the teleportation question should also be yes.

Your conscious is clearly like a wave passing through millions of cells and they have changed and will continue to change hundreds of times through your life. So why should your cells changing during the teleportation make you a different person?
Because in a teleport, your particles would change so rapidly that you'd lose consciousness permanently. When individual cells are replaced, you don't lose consciousness because it's such a small part of the whole body. Only when the particles are reconstructed would the new "you" "wake up".
joeahuja
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Craig_D)
I heard that neurons are every 4 years. But I have no source for that :p:

This source says some are, and something like every 6 months .

http://www.jneurosci.org/cgi/reprint/22/3/624.pdf

That articles about birds...still no proof for humans sorry ....haha i'm such an ******** :P
Craig_D
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by joeahuja)
That articles about birds...still no proof for humans sorry ....haha i'm such an ******** :P
So it is ... huh Slightly random.

Hold on, I might be able to dig something up about Slug brains.
The Crowing
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by herzblut)
It's not a teleporter then is it, it's a human xerox machine.

I assume that to teleport someone would to be to destroy them or break them down in one location and rebuild them using the same particles in another location rather than creating a copy and destroying the original.
As far as I know...

Teleportation in this way is simply a scientific impossibility, the breaking down of someone into their constituent particles would irreversibly change the quantum states of said particles. These quantum states cannot simply be created again, measuring them in the first place is another scientific impossibility using this method of teleportation. As a result, you would never be able to "rebuild" the particles as they were.

Okay now guys... Cue QUANTUM TELEPORTATION!

It has been proven that it is theoretically possible to perform "perfect teleportation" (for the time being only at the quantum scale (we're talking sub-atomic level particles)) by using weird and wonderful quantum phenomena (entanglement being the secret recipe). Quantum teleporting works by cleverly unearthing all of the information about a particle and its quantum state and re-encoding this information into a new particle at the other end. As the "new" particle is quantum-ly identicle, it essentially amounts to having transported the particle. The information is sent classically (at the speed of light). Now it is possible in the future that this could be used to teleport humans, in the very distant future, if ever, due to the entanglement and de-coherence headache.

In answer to the original question, one must think how one defines "you", if we take the cogito ergo sum route, then we are defined by out stream of consciousness. One theory (not the most widely held) is that the stream of consciousness is a quantum phenomena. Quantum teleportation would retain this stream of consciousness in the teleported "version" of the person, and so yes you still would be 'you'.

DUN DUN DUN.

Now for a very strange idea (that I just realised while typing this). As the "teleportation information" can only travel at the speed of light, the information takes some time to get to the destination. The information however would refer to the existence of the person being teleported at the time when they were teleported, not when they arrive at their destination. And as the teleported person is identical in every possible way (including stream of consciousness) to the person at the time of teleportation, does this essentially amount to time travel!!!???

A few things to ponder.
joeahuja
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
hahaha yee can you imagine the guy that spent his life researching that LOL!!
CombineHarvester
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by didgeridoo12uk)
and how do you plan on moving these particles to the new location?
Doesn't this use entanglement so any effect on a certain particle at X will have the same effect on another particle at Y? It's not really teleportation but creating a copy of a particle at another location anywhere in the world.
username227084
Rep:
?
(Original post by The Crowing)

Now for a very strange idea (that I just realised while typing this). As the "teleportation information" can only travel at the speed of light, the information takes some time to get to the destination. The information however would refer to the existence of the person being teleported at the time when they were teleported, not when they arrive at their destination. And as the teleported person is identical in every possible way (including stream of consciousness) to the person at the time of teleportation, does this essentially amount to time travel!!!???

A few things to ponder.
I guess to you that'd be true. Imagine being on the other side of the galaxy, 100,000 years in the future, having not aged physically more than a millisecond. Go back to earth and it's 200,000 years in the future. Interesting stuff :woo:
joeahuja
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by CombineHarvester)
Doesn't this use entanglement so any effect on a certain particle at X will have the same effect on another particle at Y? It's not really teleportation but creating a copy of a particle at another location anywhere in the world.
I think it uses three different particles lets say A,B and C. B and C are quantumly entangled. Then the particle to be transported is A so this is entangled with B which transmits A to C which destroys A....apparently :/ i really don't fully understand this tho.
The Crowing
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I guess to you that'd be true. Imagine being on the other side of the galaxy, 100,000 years in the future, having not aged physically more than a millisecond. Go back to earth and it's 200,000 years in the future. Interesting stuff :woo:
Now I just hope I get into Physics and Philosophy so I can make this happen xD
joeahuja
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Holy ****....the future of space travel??:eek:
username227084
Rep:
?
On a related note, why does a brain take a few seconds to remember what happened the previous day after you fall asleep? Could it be that the longer you are unconscious, the more neurons are changed/damaged/moved during that time period, therefore explaining why people waking up from comas have very vague memories sometimes?
n0c0ntr0l
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
here's hwo to get interesting. What happens if teleporter goes spaz and copies you TWICE! If you kill one, which one was the original? Did you in fact die? ETC!
username227084
Rep:
?
(Original post by n0c0ntr0l)
here's hwo to get interesting. What happens if teleporter goes spaz and copies you TWICE! If you kill one, which one was the original? Did you in fact die? ETC!
There'd be 2 consciousnesses and no way to tell which was the original. If you killed one of the 2 people, there'd only be one consciousness.

Mind boggling :woo:
CombineHarvester
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by joeahuja)
I think it uses three different particles lets say A,B and C. B and C are quantumly entangled. Then the particle to be transported is A so this is entangled with B which transmits A to C which destroys A....apparently :/ i really don't fully understand this tho.
What happens when A is destroyed? Energy has to be released surely? Does the process of entangling A destroy it or something?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (377)
37.44%
No - but I will (77)
7.65%
No - I don't want to (71)
7.05%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (482)
47.86%

Watched Threads