Had a mute guy knock on my door Watch

wintersunset
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
lol what damaged vocal chords from a car crash?
PGtips92
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
apassingfeeling
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
This happened to my dad once, but he actually paid for the "art" the guy was selling becuase he's too nice for his own good :rolleyes:. He ws a bit disappointed when a few weeks later there was a warning about such scammers in his local newspaper.
Zedd
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Should have stole his drawings, slammed the door in his face and listened to see if he would say anything...
Dnator
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
you should have pretended you were mute too and asked if he would buy a sketch you just did on a notepad
s+lky
Badges: 0
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Meave)
Around 5 this afternoon I had a knock at the door went to answer it and was handed a note saying "Hello my name is ..... a few months ago I was involved in a car accident and damaged my vocal chords and selling these pictures for £5 to fund an operation"

He then handed me some pencil drawings from a Lidl bag and I looked through them to be nice before shaking my head and saying no. Was watching him from upstairs and was getting turned down at every house. Probably a scam to pull at the heart strings but :rolleyes:

Long shot but has anyone had anything like this?

yeeeah loads of times but when i've been on holiday abroad.. they go around the tables leaving a small toy or something with a card with a sob story explaination of why they can't talk or whatever it is but of course it's in about 5 different languages so everyone can read it.. they come back around and collect then all again if you've not left any money out.. :rolleyes:
CombineHarvester
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
He was telling you the truth and you denied him an operation which will bring back his voice :hmmm:
zdo0o
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by PGtips92)
You should have said "I've actually got £20 in my pocket..." and watched if his eyes lit up.
facepalm
Lucky_7's
Report 9 years ago
Had the same sort of thing happen here. Some fella trying to sell his 'art' to fund something or other. Also had people selling 'lucky' charms..
kiss_me_now9
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Saw a girl in Germany with a picture of a baby on some cardboard, underneath it said (in German) "Homeless, blind, hungry, I've lost my baby to the state, please help me pay to get her back"
Joseph90
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
It has "con" written all over it.
Diaz89
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I think the OP feels guilty
Norfolkadam
Badges: 15
Report 9 years ago
There are tonnes of people doing this on the Paris Metro. They mostly pretend to be or actually are immigrants who say they need the money to send back home / rescue someone. They come around the carriage with something to sell and a note. I just pretended I didn't speak English or French.

There is a Family Guy sketch about this too.
Schmokie Dragon
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
We had a Polish lass come round selling drawings to fund her art degree.

Good drawings - pity she was selling copies and not her originals! Even so - damned good copies. I just hope she did draw them.

Maybe a scam, maybe not. We got an awesome bit of art out of it.
L i b
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
You ought to have gone all Titus Andronicus on his ass - cut off his hands and bugger him. Then see who'll talk.

It's usually deaf people - or at least people claiming to be deaf - in third-world airports or train stations. You get a lot of it abroad, as other people have observed. Never seen the like in Britain though.
fightoffyourdemons!
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
He needs to change his game plan, wait till christmas and do some caroling.
DannyBoy123
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by PGtips92)
You should have said "I've actually got £20 in my pocket..." and watched if his eyes lit up.
:facepalm:
joey11223
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by 1721)
should have kicked him in the balls then we would see who can talk
thanks..I'll just go and get some kitchen towel and dry my keyboard.

+rep...even if you made me spit out my drink.
there's too much love
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by 1721)
should have kicked him in the balls then we would see who can talk
because nothing says you're a good citizen like being in caught and charged with assult on a mute man:awesome:.

yes it would be on the NHS unless he wanted private.
PGtips92
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by DannyBoy123)
:facepalm:
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhahaha my bad.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (377)
37.48%
No - but I will (76)
7.55%
No - I don't want to (71)
7.06%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (482)
47.91%

Watched Threads