Fainting in a blood test Watch

gers
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
OP i am the same when i get blood taken i get them to put cream on I basically dont like needles i remember my friend told me at school that he didnt like needles and he started crying while he was telling me.
Leigh.
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Zastrugi)
Taking a deep breath to calm yourself and talking to the person doing it will help.

Personally, I like watching it so that I can judge how well the person's doing it. If they miss the vein and keep stabbing about I'd rather know what's going on than not be looking and getting freaked out by the feeling...
I didn't watch it as I would have been put off by it. I didn't actually feel any pain, she could have said ''I haven't inserted yet'' and I would have believed her.

The painful part was taking the bandage off of a hairy arm when I got home :rolleyes:
Tootles
Badges: 20
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Am I a weakling?

I was fine going in, not nervous at all. But as I saw that blood leaving my body, filling up that syringe I became dizzy and had to lie down. I made a bit of a scene, which was embarassing.

Do you think that means I have bad health? I mean, the actual results of the test were completely fine - everything was normal, but I don't like how susceptible I am to fainting. Is it caused by low blood pressure? Is it anything to be concerned about?

(I dont have any other health problems)
I had a similar experience a couple of months ago, when I went to have a diabetes test. But I don't mind the sight of blood; I'm forever cutting my fingers and more often than not have a bloodstain somewhere. I'd had the prick done and was squeezing my finger to get some blood out, and suddenly I went blind. Then I blacked out and came to, thinking "what the hell happened there."

It turned out, later on, that it was due to stress. An artery in my neck had been pinched by the muscles there, which had tightened up because of the stress.
malleablegrace
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I'm really not squeamish about blood or needles but I tend to faint through low blood pressure/ low blood sugar I think. Sounds like an odd thing to say, but I actually thought fainting would feel different to how it does. :p:
Vienna Cannon
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
It doesn't make you weak. I hated when I had my blood taken I was fine till i got home and then was shaking like a leaf and went very pale :/
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Thanks for the comments.

Actually, I wasn't suppose to eat anything before the blood test and I hadn't drunk much either. So that could've added to it. I once fainted on a plane too, because I fell asleep for like 8 hours and I woke up super dehydrated without any water next to me.

What made me think I was unusually weak was because people donate blood, which involves giving a much greater quantity, and yet they still feel fine. Yet there I was, losing only a small amount of blood and feeling faint!

It didn't help though that the nurse who did it injected the needle into the wrong place the first time around, as I sat nervously waiting for something to happen.
It's not down to the volume of blood you lost - even the volume taken in a blood donation is not enough to make you faint on its own. It's mostly a stress response, and a physiological reaction to someone fiddling around with your veins. It's pretty common, and doesn't mean you're unhealthy.
Subcutaneous
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Am I a weakling?

I was fine going in, not nervous at all. But as I saw that blood leaving my body, filling up that syringe I became dizzy and had to lie down. I made a bit of a scene, which was embarassing.

Do you think that means I have bad health? I mean, the actual results of the test were completely fine - everything was normal, but I don't like how susceptible I am to fainting. Is it caused by low blood pressure? Is it anything to be concerned about? :confused:

(I dont have any other health problems)

Nooo, ofcourse not, i give blood regularly and i went to have a blood test a few weeks ago and just went! I'd not eaten, and was feeling jittery- plus im not the BIGGEST fan of needles, and i watched the needle go in, and felt wobbly!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (124)
39.62%
No - but I will (17)
5.43%
No - I don't want to (20)
6.39%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (152)
48.56%

Watched Threads