Is psychology a good degree Watch

Pip_x
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
... if you want to be a psychologist it's pretty darn useful...
herzblut
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I've never personally seen it as a mickey mouse subject. Image the study of the human mind and it's workings would be quite complex.
Jingers
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I've heard that it's not the best, but isn't it one of the most competitive courses (aside from medicine, dentistry, law and economics)?
lorietta
Report 9 years ago
I know at the bristol university open day they said it was one of the most competative courses to get on country wide, not just at top unis but anywhere. If employers know this, it might make it a bit more respected.

But tbh, because it's so competative, if you're not 100% enthusiastic about it, go do something else.

Also psychology is a lot more aplicable to a lot of jobs than "traditional" degrees such as history.
fgagto
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by aliluvschoc)
Generally correct view, which isn't hard at all. That is to say, you don't think that psychology is about reading minds and teaching animals to talk. I meant to say that at grad stage, the people you apply to would be more knowledgeable about such things, no matter where you go, not that you would only be applying to be a psychologist.

I mean to say that hopefully you wouldn't be applying to be a cook or something...

And with psychology you could end up pretty much anywhere, it's very wide.
All degrees are "very wide".

I have no idea of grad employer's views of psychology, although I would very much doubt that its held in higher regard than things like Economics, Maths etc.
fgagto
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by lorietta)
I know at the bristol university open day they said it was one of the most competative courses to get on country wide, not just at top unis but anywhere. If employers know this, it might make it a bit more respected.

But tbh, because it's so competative, if you're not 100% enthusiastic about it, go do something else.

Also psychology is a lot more aplicable to a lot of jobs than "traditional" degrees such as history.
All that a degree being competitive shows you is that the people who got onto the course are very good at Psychology. That is more or less irrelevant to a lot of jobs, eg. accounting.

It is not hard to fake enthusiasm on a UCAS form. However, if you were going to do something you dont really like I'd do a more respected subjcet
hardcoretophat
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Put it this way, about 60+% of psychology graduates don't actually go on to work in a psychology related field. For example my Dad, a businessman, was saying when I was trying to chose between a psychology and a biology degree that he'd probably hire a psychology graduate rather than a biology graduate because they have far more transferrable skills.
Jenny_C
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
It's still debatable whether or not it's considered a science in the same way that Physics, Chemistry and Biology are, but it's certainly a respected degree, especially when it's a BSc. It can lead to becoming a psychologist, which is a respected profession.

I wouldn't, however, advise you to study it at university as you clearly don't have a passion for it.
GodspeedGehenna
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Simon117)
Nitpicking, but I don't think Zoology should be on the same list as "Radio Studies". My sister did it, AFAIK it's just a branch of Biology...which itself is of course well respected.
The same could potentially be said about Psychology.
KadeK
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Who cares what anyone else thinks.

As long as you, yourself has the confidence enough to respect it then nothing else matters.
Flying Cookie
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
There's no such thing as a good or respected degree. There is only a correlation between top universities/top teachers/top employers/top subjects and how much a degree is respected. A correlation means that a degree is not respected because of the university or subject, but because there is the parallel variable that top universities and subjects prepare students better. And that's what counts.

Succeeding is not about what works for the "average", or "most". It is about you as a person and what you do for yourself. Believe me.
achard
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
It's neither traditional nor vocational, so it's kind of got the worst of both worlds. So unless its from a very good uni, I suppose you might be better off doing something else.
Smell23
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by GodspeedGehenna)
Generally, it is those who don't know anything about the subject that don't respect it.
This. The people who say it's a ****** degree are the same people who think it's all about reading peoples minds.

I was so upset I didn't get to do a psychology degree. Going to regret losing those few marks in one A level for the rest of my liiife. It's an amazing subject, so interesting and so many directions to go in afterwards.
KadeK
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by achard)
It's neither traditional nor vocational, so it's kind of got the worst of both worlds. So unless its from a very good uni, I suppose you might be better off doing something else.

Load of tosh, this is.
Lord Asriel
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I don't think it is about whether the degree itself is accepted or dismissed, its normally the graduate that is sitting in front of you. I have interviewed psychology graduates who I wouldn't trust making toast and others that will one day probably run the NHS.

Asking "is psychology a good degree" is like saying "is being male a good gender to be?" It is statistically if you want to be a famous scientist or world leader, but also bad if you want to stay out of prison. Likewise psychology is good for some people's aspirations and a terrible choice for others.
grape:)
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Pip_x)
... if you want to be a psychologist it's pretty darn useful...
This hahahha XD
giggles19
Report 8 years ago
i amgonna be studying psychology with child language development and i believe that it will be a very rewarding degree
CMMcharlie
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by girl0808)
is it respected?
its what im doing, but i just hope its worthwhile. its a Bsc which is good..but i dont want it be regarded as mickey mouse degree just because its not a traditional science. what do you think its better than??
is it better or worse than history and english degrees?

i dont think the alevel was that easy to be honest. though it was a bit of memory test rather than intelligence or any skill. you had to remember alot, but if you did bother to learn it, then it was easy to do well.
By people who know what it entails, it is :P it's a very difficult degree (maths and neuroscience based) but it can enable you to work clinically which is highly respected!
johntee2
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by girl0808)
is it respected?
its what im doing, but i just hope its worthwhile. its a Bsc which is good..but i dont want it be regarded as mickey mouse degree just because its not a traditional science. what do you think its better than??
is it better or worse than history and english degrees?

i dont think the alevel was that easy to be honest. though it was a bit of memory test rather than intelligence or any skill. you had to remember alot, but if you did bother to learn it, then it was easy to do well.
It is certainly better respected than English and History, as it is a STEM subject. Bear in mind at degree level it is extremely rigorous; there is a lot of neuroscience, a lot of statistics and a large workload (if you do a BPS clinically accredited course at a good university). Post graduate places for clinical are highly competitive, but if you enjoy the subject matter go for it! The brain is a fascinating thing! I do neuroscience so I am of course slightly biased. There are easier sciences (like biology) but if you're willing to put the work in, psychology can really open up careers for you in the clinical/medical/forensic field! I sometimes wish I'd done it instead of neuroscience, although I'm glad not to have the sheer amount of coursework and labs they do haha.
johntee2
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by achard)
Er, it's clinically accredited and entirely vocational if you want to do anything in medicine, clinicals, forensics or healthcare. Also it has its roots in neuroscience and cellular biology... so yeah. I think a good old-fashioned fact check should be your new friend.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (264)
39%
No - but I will (46)
6.79%
No - I don't want to (51)
7.53%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (316)
46.68%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise