Who buys stuff from and donates stuff to charity shops? Watch

Poll: Do you buy and/or donate to charity shops?
I buy stuff from charity shops (84)
35.44%
I donate stuff to charity shops (108)
45.57%
I don't buy stuff from charity shops (22)
9.28%
I don't donate stuff to charity shops (16)
6.75%
What are charity shops? (7)
2.95%
TheGimpMan
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
the answer to the question is "tramps and geeks"
mackeroo
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
oxam bookshop = brilliant
stargirl001
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I've donated stuff but never bought from a charity shop. I dunno, it just seems like one of those things that doesnt fit into a regular shopping trip. I'll try to in the future.
The Procrastinator
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by inksplodge)
I buy books mostly. Sometimes I buy DVDs too. I actually volunteer in one now; it's awesome. I'd recommend it to anyone.
Heehee! Do you get to pick and choose what to buy for yourself before unleashing it to the public?
Student2806
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I buy loads of books from my local Oxfam Books shop. With the existence of charity shops and Amazon Marketplace, I have to wonder how places like Waterstones and Borders are still in business - their prices (even if they are brand new books) are extortionate.
I usually re-sell books on Amazon, but my clothes go to the charity shop - no point in just throwing them out.
MeanMachine
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
its gonna sound really bad of me but i feel really embarrassed going in charity shops so i never go :facepalm:
Fireandearth
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I find fiction books in charity shops really cheap - in good condition as well. And you get them for under £1 usually when they're supposed to sell for about 10 times that.

Plus, the money's for a good cause! And you still have some left over to.. Buy more =]

Edit: Needless to say, I have a very large book collection :P
Mazzia
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I love charity shops.
Godsend for finding bits of costume if you're in a play!
I bought a gorgeous, unworn red coat from a Red Cross shop in Lincoln for £8! I was WELL chuffed

I try to donate when I can too, mainly clothes...

Charity Shops (Y)
inksplodge
  • CV Helper
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by The Procrastinator)
Heehee! Do you get to pick and choose what to buy for yourself before unleashing it to the public?
When we're pricing stuff we can put things behind the counter if we want them for ourselves. Paying full price, of course! :tongue:
spikeeleon
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I brought my jacket from a charity shop ... paid 50p for it and donated £5
ChocolateFish
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I LIVE in all charity shops - most of my clothes etc come from there.
The only thing I don't buy is books (I get them from car boot sales as they are cheaper, and then I give them to charity shops)
All my unwanted clothes etc go to a charity shop - I tend to give to my local hospice's shop as that's the charity I always try and support and help
Annie72
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I regularly buy stuff from charity shops, in fact I always have done. Theres no shame in it, I"m helping a charity and I am recycling too!. I also donate anything that doesnt fit me anymore, someone else could get the use out of them. The charity shops by me are in a quite affulent area, so I often get top names for next to nothing. The jeans I have on today are originally from Gap,but they only cost me £2.50 from my local PDSA.:woo:

I love charity shops and always have a nosey around them
gracie88
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I donate all of my old clothes to charity as well as my partner's. I just take them to the bins they have at Sainsburys/Tescos etc and they tend to be Oxfam or Salvation Army. Never really shopped in charity shops as I've never once found anything I like.
SoapyDish
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Whenever I have a wardrobe clear-out, I take all my clothes that are still in decent condition to the charity shop. The high street in my town consists of alternating banks and charity shops, with a kebab place in the middle, so we tend to rotate round the 5 or 6 shops. I used to work in one of them, where I got the best stuff because I could pick it as I sorted it. I don't shop in charity shops much, but I got a coat from one for £5 - unworn but it had a button missing. Bargain
safety_pin
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
i loveeeeeeee them, i get old dvds and clothes normally...always donate my old stuff and then have a look inside the shop at the same time - and end up walking home with the same amount of stuff as i donated :mmm:
Moroseblight
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I love charity shops - used to volunteer for an Oxfam one. You never know what you'll find and sometimes you come across some real gems.

Mainly, I buy and donate books. Occasionally, clothes. But I do love browsing through them for anything wonderful and strange.
timotiis
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by ily_em)
I donate my TIME to a charity shop. Does that count? I also buy books from the Oxfam bookshop where I volunteer
Seriously, which volunteer doesn't? I know I have big stacks on the floor that I bought at the bookshop I work at.

(Indeed, the rate I buy books at has gone up since I started working there, not down)
Farmboy_Pip
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Samz)
for people who volunteer, do you have regular jobs too?? i really want to volunteer but i can't afford to not have any income. do you have to do a set amount of hours orrr? i guess i should just ask in some places really. :/
when i used to volunteer, i was working during the week as well and just doing 3 hours on a saturday.. if you go in and ask them about it.. they can't make you do certain hours, it is voluntary work after all..

i do like my charity shops, but i've been disappointed recently. all my old stuff goes to charity shops.. unless i'm in need of money, then i try to sell it at car boot sales.
DMed
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I don't tend to go for clothes from charity shops, well I understand the attraction, Ive just never seen anything I fancy.

However, I do buy cds and books as you can get some good titles from there, loads of old madchester stuff appears in the charity shops round mine (but we are 10 miles from the city, so that could be why), so Im happy.
Brouhaha
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I don't really buy clothes, although I get books from my local Oxfam shop all the time. Also I always donate my clothes whenever I have a clear-out, usually in quite good condition.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (343)
37.78%
No - but I will (72)
7.93%
No - I don't want to (65)
7.16%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (428)
47.14%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise