Is this true... [are privately schooled people more likely to use drugs?] Watch

fabfay
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
(Original post by sophie_c)
Eh...erm no... I go to St Andrews, which has a huge percentage of private school pupils in comparison to many universities. I don't think there's much drug taking at all, but then I may be tremendously naive...but I've never noticed it... Once at a party I know some people went out to smoke some hash, but that's the only time I've heard/seen it...
Don't let it put you off going to uni, you shouldn't ever feel pressured into anything, and if you don't want to spend time with people who do drugs, then don't! Tis all good

well thats what i thought, but my friend did go to birmingham, so maybe it's more availible as im going to bath, but she was like, there will be people in your halls on drugs and i was like :confused: maybe im worrying over nothing, i do tend to worry quite alot.
theweehighlander
Report 9 years ago
I doubt its going to be so in your face. It might be going on around you but thats the same with people drinking and smoking. At the end of the day its up to you whether you take anything or not. Just because people around you are doing stuff does not mean that you have to, and there is nothing wrong with not doing anything. I wouldnt worry about it, if you go to a party and people are doing stuff and you dont like it you can always leave. Its always your choice what you do.
sophie_c
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by fabfay)
well thats what i thought, but my friend did go to birmingham, so maybe it's more availible as im going to bath, but she was like, there will be people in your halls on drugs and i was like :confused: maybe im worrying over nothing, i do tend to worry quite alot.
Yeh, I wouldn't worry, I mean it may be different at different unis, but I can only say what I've experienced, and if there is a lot of drug use, well it isn't very obvious! I doubt it is as bad as your friend makes out...

Don't worry, justgo have funm uni is great!
sophie_c
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by theweehighlander)
I doubt its going to be so in your face. It might be going on around you but thats the same with people drinking and smoking. At the end of the day its up to you whether you take anything or not. Just because people around you are doing stuff does not mean that you have to, and there is nothing wrong with not doing anything. I wouldnt worry about it, if you go to a party and people are doing stuff and you dont like it you can always leave. Its always your choice what you do.
Inverness, woo! :woo:

But yeh, ^ this
Pop_tart
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
errrr yes im serious, or why else would i be asking? :rolleyes:
I'm not saying you are not serious? I'm saying you should seriously use your common sense!! :yep:
fabfay
(Original post by Pop_tart)
I'm not saying you are not serious? I'm saying you should seriously use your common sense!! :yep:
ermmm... how am i not using my common sense!! to ME it's common sense, to ask about a possible situation i may be put it, before im put in it btw you haven't actually answered my question soooo really you didn't need to comment in this tread:yep:
soph41190
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Chrosson)
Where there are private school students, there is money. Where there is money, there are probably drugs.
But universities are not predominatly private school students.

Where are you getting this from? Most private school kids I know exist on NOTHING because...guess what...all their parents' money went on the school fees!

The only drug users I know are the ones on street corners with BMX's and lots of chains.
Last Summer's Dream
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
It'll be at every uni, like it is in every school, every college, every work place. You may be completely oblivious to it all... It depends on the type of person you are and the type of person you make friends with.
friendly_fiend2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago

What's there to worry about, never effected this fine lady above.

Seriously though, nobody is going to be force feeding you heroin sarnies or anything...You have control over what you put in your body. There will be plenty of sober people just trying to get on with their degree who you can associate with.
Pop_tart
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
ermmm... how am i not using my common sense!! to ME it's common sense, to ask about a possible situation i may be put it, before im put in it btw you haven't actually answered my question soooo really you didn't need to comment in this tread:yep:
well I answered your question implicitly :p: :woo:

I wish you all the best and I hope one day you will realise ''ha how could I have been so stupid to think such thing!''
User237126
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I go to private school and I've never come across any drug use ok so you're talking about uni but I don't get the impression many people from my school would sudddenly start taking drugs at university...
BeanofJelly
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
The police (where I live at least) have said where there is a drugs problem, it is usually worse at private schools because generally speaking the kids have more money to spend on it. Dunno if that carries through to university - but you're not gonna be forced to take drugs or even hang out with druggies just because you go to uni. And uni's aren't predominantly private school kids anyway (guess it depends where you go)

EDIT: And lol jus cos someone has gone to a private school does not mean they're a druggie or even imply that they're a druggie
qgujxj39
Badges: 15
Report 9 years ago
From the people I know, privately schooled kids are more likely to use harder drugs. Most of the drug-takers I know use weed, but it's common knowledge that everyone from the local private school is on coke.
fabfay
(Original post by tommm)
From the people I know, privately schooled kids are more likely to use harder drugs. Most of the drug-takers I know use weed, but it's common knowledge that everyone from the local private school is on coke.
Its just all new to me, i mean i knew people took stuff, but i didnt realise is was so common especially at university. When i went to school there was like 3 people i heard smoked weed, and that was literally it, and i only knew 2 of them, and my school was quite big :o:

Edit: and i went to a state school lol
Chrosson
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by soph41190)
Where are you getting this from? Most private school kids I know exist on NOTHING because...guess what...all their parents' money went on the school fees!

The only drug users I know are the ones on street corners with BMX's and lots of chains.
Ok, regarding the first paragraph, there's a reason most school drug testing in the UK is in public/private schools (2nd para). And are you really trying to tell me that an average private school kid has less personal money than an average state school kid?
Besides, I cannot say what percentage of private school kids do drugs - but neither can you.

My assumptions (which is what they are, and I acknowledge this) are based on rumour, hearsay (e.g. people saying MGS has a drugs problem) and links like the above. Your assumptions are based on an incredibly small sample size.

Regarding your second paragraph, do you know they are drug users (it is possible you do)? But you cannot say they do more (or less) drugs than people in private schools with any kind of certainty.

Anyway, my initial post simply took two commonly accepted facts (i.e. rumour and hearsay). Any linking of the two statments was done by you
WokSz
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Yes fabfay - the majority of private schooled kids are spoilt, drug users who have nothing better to do.
Brouhaha
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I don't know, but all my private school friends use drugs far more often than my state school mates, so perhaps. But all unis are going to have that kind of thing
adamrules247
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I remeber reading something a while back saying people in public school are more likely to take Class C drugs.
weet_ABI_x
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
At home I come from a pretty working-class area and everyone takes drugs. I don't know ANYONE who takes drugs at uni, at least people I'd consider friends anyway, and they are virtually ALL from private schools. I dunno maybe it depends where you were brought up, in the place I grew up drugs were pretty normal and I took a lot LESS than most people, but at uni everyone seems to be incredibly taken aback whenever I mention having tried them.

Can see where the theory comes from though - not many people from rough areas can afford to spend £40 on coke on a night out, and there's that age-old stereotype about rich kids and cocaine isn't there?

At any uni there will be people that take drugs and people that don't. If you don't want friends who take drugs, don't make friends who take drugs. But post the age of about 15, no one is going to make you do anything you don't want to do anyway so you won't be under any pressure.
fabfay
(Original post by weet_ABI_x)
At home I come from a pretty working-class area and everyone takes drugs. I don't know ANYONE who takes drugs at uni, at least people I'd consider friends anyway, and they are virtually ALL from private schools. I dunno maybe it depends where you were brought up, in the place I grew up drugs were pretty normal and I took a lot LESS than most people, but at uni everyone seems to be incredibly taken aback whenever I mention having tried them.

Can see where the theory comes from though - not many people from rough areas can afford to spend £40 on coke on a night out, and there's that age-old stereotype about rich kids and cocaine isn't there?

At any uni there will be people that take drugs and people that don't. If you don't want friends who take drugs, don't make friends who take drugs. But post the age of about 15, no one is going to make you do anything you don't want to do anyway so you won't be under any pressure.
yh im from a working class area, but as far as im concerned its not common place for people to take drugs, well as far as im aware, and the people im friends with dont, i think im reading to much into it, im sure i'll be fine, its just my friend made it sound like it was the norm for alot of students.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (564)
37.65%
No - but I will (117)
7.81%
No - I don't want to (108)
7.21%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (709)
47.33%

Watched Threads