America 'To Ditch' Iran Missile Shield Plan Watch

UGeNe
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Tory Dan)
Ultimately Russia is viewing this as a victory of its belligerent foreign policy over the last four years, many people think this is a good thing but I think now they have pushed the US on one issue then other issues such as democracy and human rights in Russia as well as NATO enlargement will be their next targets.

Russia also needs to realise it shouldn't be supplying enemies of the free world namely Iran and Venezuela.
Enemies of the free world. How poetic of you.

I thought democracy was all about opposing view points?
UGeNe
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Aphotic Cosmos)
Europe is not a playground for Russia and the US, so I'm glad to see this resolution.
Since we are going into metaphors...

If the world was a prison, Europe would be somebody's *****.
Aphotic Cosmos
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by UGeNe)

No, if the world was a prison, Europe would be imprisoned for white-collar crimes and would pay off the others to leave it alone.

Israel would be the short guy with serious attitude problems and a big knife.
Made in the USA
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by DangerZone)
Ok, I am an American, lived here my entire life and I'm only going to move to Britain soon for school. Let me tell you what a mistake the American people made by electing Barack Obama. The guy had less than 2 years in the American Senate befor deciding to run for President. I'm sorry, but fancy talk and a European celebrity tour doesn't mean crap. At least Bush had the right idea when it came to international defense and all Obama wants to do is spend trillions of dollars in deficit spending with huge opposition. Many say Bush was stupid but in fact he went to Yale and attained higher grades than any of his opponents for the presidency. The guy just wasn't too great at public speech and lost a lot of credibility for it. They need better missile defense regardless of where the Iranians are in development simply because we need to make the preemptive move now to be prepared when they have the means to attack. Btw, Obama's approval rating is already far below where Bush's was at this point in time and he has little chance of reelection.
I'm impressed, you are from California! :eek:
I didn't think there were that many sane people left in CA.
UGeNe
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Made in the USA)
I'm impressed, you are from California! :eek:
I didn't think there were that many sane people left in CA.
Obama as the joker...original! :woo:
DangerZone
Badges: 0
Report 9 years ago
Europe is not a playground for Russia and the US, so I'm glad to see this resolution.
Ok, who do you think the missile defense system was supposed to defend??? Not Americans, we don't live in Europe. EUROPEANS. And it's for defense against Iranian missiles. Russia just feels threatened because they supply Iran with a lot of stuff they shouldn't be, Venezuela too. They're freaking dictatorships, just look at the last "election" in Iran. You really want to go without some sort of defense when a crazy anti-Semite like Ahmadinejad develops ICBMs or Nukes? Have fun because that isn't the US's problem, it's Europe's.
Aphotic Cosmos
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by DangerZone)
Ok, who do you think the missile defense system was supposed to defend??? Not Americans, we don't live in Europe. EUROPEANS. And it's for defense against Iranian missiles. Russia just feels threatened because they supply Iran with a lot of stuff they shouldn't be, Venezuela too. They're freaking dictatorships, just look at the last "election" in Iran. You really want to go without some sort of defense when a crazy anti-Semite like Ahmadinejad develops ICBMs or Nukes? Have fun because that isn't the US's problem, it's Europe's.
No, it was specifically meant to defend the US from long-range missiles deployed from Iran - the interceptor missiles were not adapted or adaptable to intercept the short-medium range missiles that would be deployed in an attack against Europe by either Russia or Iran, which are much faster and fly in a different manner. The interceptors were simply planned to be placed there because the Czech Republic and Poland were in the most probable line of attack to the US from Iran in the event of an ICBM attack. The Czech Republic and Poland would not benefit strategically - there were only 40 interceptors planned for the base that would have to cover an area populated by 400 million people and defeat over 7,000 strategic nukes from Russia. The proposal actually raised tensions in Europe with Russia, which would be far more devastating for Europe than a single nuclear strike by Iran. Russia actually said that it had increased the number of nukes trained on both countries as a result of the plans to put a defence shield there, thereby mitigating any strategic advantage gained by those nations. Thanks America - you really helped us out.

Ahmadinejad won't attack Europe with nukes, because France and Britain - which are militarily allied with every important European nation - possess something like 350 warheads combined.
EnthusiasticEnthusiast
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
(Original post by Tory Dan)
Russia also needs to realise it shouldn't be supplying enemies of the free world namely Iran and Venezuela.
Unless you're new to this whole affair, Russia will anyone the US is against and vice-versa. Furthermore Russia has the right to supply these countires with weapons, as does the US. Moreover they should supply them as all of these countries are closely linked.

The British SAS are training Libyan forces, isn't Libya an enemy of the free world? Why is the British government supporting them?
UGeNe
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
No, it was specifically meant to defend the US from long-range missiles deployed from Iran - the interceptor missiles were not adapted or adaptable to intercept the short-medium range missiles that would be deployed in an attack against Europe by either Russia or Iran, which are much faster and fly in a different manner. The interceptors were simply planned to be placed there because the Czech Republic and Poland were in the most probably line of attack to the US from Iran in the event of an ICBM attack. The proposal actually raised tensions in Europe with Russia, which would be far more devastating for Europe than a single nuclear strike by Iran. Thanks America - you really helped us out.

Ahmadinejad won't attack Europe with nukes, because France and Britain - which are militarily allied with every important European nation - possess something like 350 warheads combined.
But will a nuclear retaliation against Iran be sanctioned if it's not a free democracy as everyone here seems to think? Iranian people don't agree with the government, hence they would be collateral damage in such a pointless retaliation. :eek:
Aphotic Cosmos
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by UGeNe)
But will a nuclear retaliation against Iran be sanctioned if it's not a free democracy as everyone here seems to think? Iranian people don't agree with the government, hence they would be collateral damage in such a pointless retaliation. :eek:
Lots of British people don't agree on our government's foreign policies, especially in the Middle East, but sadly they would be collateral damage in a nuclear war, too.

Ultimately the only way to prevent nuclear strikes is to ensure that all nations fully disarm their nuclear arsenals.
Reefer
Report 9 years ago
I can't believe some political analysts are even talking about a possible Iranian attack on Eastern Europe! Ridiculous scare mongering.

Back on topic, this is a fantastic event for Europe and the world as a whole. Some people are just dismissing the Russians as simply kids throwing their toys out over a defence system that is no threat to them but these people seem to understand very little. When a competing nation places such a system practically on your border, of course you'd think wtf! The Russians saw it as Bush trying to exert his influence across foreign nations to show a militaristically proud nation like the Russians who the boss is.

Nobody also seems to mention that if this thing went ahead it would lead to a huge response from the Russians. They would have had half of their ballistic arsenal simply pointed towards Poland and the Czech Republic - is that really what people want?

The Russians stated they would do all that's in their power to jam the radar system in the Czech - do people really want such a war between the US and the Russians on European soil? This is the best decision Obama could have made for political stability in this current world.
ColdVein
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Glenn Beck et al are going to have an absolute field day bashing Obama for this.
I personally think its a pretty wise move, it seemed to be the elephant in the room (+ Iran)for American-Russian relations- maybe now some progress can be made in other areas.
EnthusiasticEnthusiast
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
(Original post by UGeNe)

And who's ***** would Europe be?
sron
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by ColdVein)
Glenn Beck et al are going to have an absolute field day bashing Obama for this.
It wasn't Glenn Beck, but earlier today a FOX newscaster was asking an interviewee why there wasn't a quid pro quo deal with Russia as a consequence of the US capitulating on the defence shield plan- he suggested a trade deal.

I don't get how these Republicans can demand that the US make antagonistic diplomatic manoeuvres and explain not only that others should support them, but that they owe them a service for doing it.
TheLandOfNorwegia
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I am absoloutely ecstatic about this news. Relations may just improve yet!
UGeNe
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Last time I visited Russia the recession just hit and this shield business didn't bother anybody.

It's stupid and everyone knows it!
Neville 'Facking' Bartos
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
If anyone thought this shield was for Iranian missiles, they must be seriously deluded.
ali567149
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
From the MacKinder perspective the canellation of the missile defence shield is a huge blunder by Obama, conceding power to Russia on the world island is to hand over global control. But then it could also be a stroke of genius to mover away from a perscriptive view of the world held by the pentagon and the american right formed by a british imperialist over a cenury ago that barley managed a moments fair piece.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (368)
37.25%
No - but I will (74)
7.49%
No - I don't want to (69)
6.98%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (477)
48.28%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise