Muslim Girls- Your periods and views on contraception needed! Watch

VanillaCat
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Ala'a)
Hi,
Qura'an is a holy book,it is forbidden to touch the mus-haf when one is in any kind of state of impurity, because Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning): "… which none can touch except the purified." [al-Waaqi’ah 56:79].and by unclean i mean not pure.
and this is not being sexist and does not make any difference between men and women.
After sex men cannot pray or touch qura'an too until they clean up .
And anyways any person who touches the qura'an is supposed to pure and clean , this is why we perform "wudoo", both men and women.
I don't mean to be rude, but surely if your hands and feet are clean, it should be okay to touch the Qu'ran? Periods are very private and in a private part of the body, so I don't see why it should be an issue.

Also, are Muslim women allowed to use tampons? Just wondered, because they break the hymen.
Ala'a
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by VanillaCat)
I don't mean to be rude, but surely if your hands and feet are clean, it should be okay to touch the Qu'ran? Periods are very private and in a private part of the body, so I don't see why it should be an issue.

Also, are Muslim women allowed to use tampons? Just wondered, because they break the hymen.
yeh i get your point,
but hey you can styll recite qura'an!
the thing is, to touch the holy qura'an we have to be clean,now we perform "wudo" (its just washing ur hands ur face ,ur feet 3 times.) to clean up from certain acts like, going to bathroom(and by tht i mean excreting:P not just entering the washroom)
and we have to take a bath, after other acts like Sex,and periods,and its just a normal bath thts it.
now if you break ur wudoo, your unclean not literally ofcourse, but then u cant touch holy book or pray until you repeat wudoo again.
i knw it took me so long to say it, but the point is : your whole body has to be clean not just your hands and feet.because this is a way of connecting with god, and for that your whole body has to be clean.

and YEs muslim women are allowed to wear tampons, it isnt impermissible or something to break your hymen i mean your still a virgin, and plus most of us break their hymens while swimming or horse riding so it isnt really a big deal..:rolleyes:
but for cultural and not religious reasons, SOme girls avoid wearing tampons not to break their hymens, :yep:

Oh! and im sorry blabber alot :o: , i hope you got it, and heeey id loove to answer any questions.
khalaf
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by angel_with_horns)
This has nothing to do with biology, and everything to do with how in Islam a woman is seen as unclean when she's on her period. End of.

EDIT: if you mean the biological concept of getting rid of lining of the womb to form a new one etc etc then surely "Allah" should have thought of a better way of going about this, one which would not make women "unclean".
I can't help but think that, had the situation been the opposite, you'd say "How dare Allah ask of them to fast during their periods, oh the oppression"..Nothing satisfies you people does it. As for praying & reading the Quran, both women and men have to have Wudoo to be able to do so. If a man's unclean in any kind of way, he has to make wudoo as well. It's nothing to do with inequality or "women being inferior in Islam". Ala'a was just answering the question, why do you have to go and argue? I don't question and object to the way you live your life and i ask of you not to do so with mine.
pina.Love
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Plute)
And also, since when does being on your period make you 'too tired' to carry out simple tasks?

I am anaemic. And obviously get periods also. But I would never consider myself too 'frail' to carry out any activities that are usually part of my day to day life. Praying hardly asks for any strenuous activity unless there are some sort of muslim extreme religious sports that I am unaware of
I am not anaemic and i cannot carry out the simplest tasks such as getting out of bed when i am on my period, i have very painful periods, I get nausea, I sometimes vomit and sometimes cannot feel my legs. No matter what painkillers i take they do work, my doc even prescribe me tablets that are used for labour pains and they didnt work!
So just because you have great periods (which i am jealous of lol) it doesnt mean the rest of us girlies will be in the same boat as you, this islamic is suppose to cover all muslim girls.
I cannot imaging praying or fasting during my period i would just collapse and anyway because the amount of medication i take i cannot fast
angel_with_horns
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by khalaf)
I can't help but think that, had the situation been the opposite, you'd say "How dare Allah ask of them to fast during their periods, oh the oppression"..Nothing satisfies you people does it. As for praying & reading the Quran, both women and men have to have Wudoo to be able to do so. If a man's unclean in any kind of way, he has to make wudoo as well. It's nothing to do with inequality or "women being inferior in Islam". Ala'a was just answering the question, why do you have to go and argue? I don't question and object to the way you live your life and i ask of you not to do so with mine.
Still doesn't answer my question of why Allah chose to make a woman 'unclean' when she's on her period.
Anonymous #1
Report 9 years ago
Still doesn't answer my question of why Allah chose to make a woman 'unclean' when she's on her period.
I don't think anyone but Allah is capable of answering that question :nah:

Maybe you should convert to islam and ask him yourself
reignbeau
Report 9 years ago
So from what I gather you think period blood is clean?
Plute
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by reignbeau)
So from what I gather you think period blood is clean?
I know you weren't quoting me but by suggesting period blood is unclean certainly implies it is impure. When in reality, biologically speaking, it is probably the most natural human process.
khalaf
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago

(Original post by Plute)
I know you weren't quoting me but by suggesting period blood is unclean certainly implies it is impure. When in reality, biologically speaking, it is probably the most natural human process.
No one said it's unnatural, i don't get why everyone's so hung up on that point. It being natural has nothing to do with it being 'impure'. No one is allowed to pray when bleeding, men included. Your argument's ridiculous, it's like asking "why aren't you allowed to pray with jizz in your underwear?", it's just unclean. It doesn't mean ejaculation isn't natural, it just means that it isn't a suitable state for you to pray in..
SiaSiaSia
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Subcutaneous)
why are you forbid to fast? and how would this affect childbirth?!
Well... would YOU like to eat at only certain times [when it's dark] when YOU'RE on your period? :p:
SiaSiaSia
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Ala'a)
our religion talks quite openly about mensturation.
during periods women are not allowed to have sex with their husbands.
obviously because she is not clean and her vagina is bleeding :o: alot of men would find it disgusting anyways

we do not pray when having our periods
but we don't have to repay it or anything.
this is because prayer is way of connecting with god almighty, and for such a great sacred act we have to do it when we are phisically clean, that is why we perform "wudoo".

we dont fast in RAmadan while on periods
but w ehave to repay it before the next ramdan, and as mentioned above, this is because a woman looses blood and it would be hard for her to fast and stay without any intake of food, while bleeding.

But they can attend Eid prayers
this is because eid is a religious celebration, and women with periods should not be left out. they can go there meet people, but they cant pray.

you can't touch qura'an while on your periods
because this is a sacred book,its a book from god almighty , and u have to be phisically clean while touching it.

and all of this is the same for women after birth because they bleed for 40 days and all, so its almost like periods.

So im only 16 and im not really good at this, but these are general things i know i didnt really go deep into details, and i listed my own opinion too.i hope it helped
plus. i do not think it's sexists, in any means. because most women are too tired to perform any of these acts anywyas, and this is just a way to make it easier for us,women, to worship god almighty.and yeh abt contraception, people have views i personally agrre on it, and YEs i would use contraception .Pm me if u need to ask anything else. =D
good luck

This

I have a GCSE in Islam and Buddhism and we did loads about this side of things, it was really interesting.
Subcutaneous
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
(Original post by SiaSiaSia)
Well... would YOU like to eat at only certain times [when it's dark] when YOU'RE on your period? :p:

WELL naturally but i was interested from the islamic perspective regarding practicing religion, and the concept of cleanliness of a woman during menses, and how this may affect the healthcare workers role, regarding promotign personal hygiene to young girls, being aware of promoting the western view of menses as natural also, so not to fear or cause anxiety to young girls etc
Plute
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by khalaf)
No one said it's unnatural, i don't get why everyone's so hung up on that point. It being natural has nothing to do with it being 'impure'. No one is allowed to pray when bleeding, men included. Your argument's ridiculous, it's like asking "why aren't you allowed to pray with jizz in your underwear?", it's just unclean. It doesn't mean ejaculation isn't natural, it just means that it isn't a suitable state for you to pray in..
For the most part, ejaculation is not an involuntary process like menstruation.

In today's world of Tampax and I'm sure, in fact positive, far more effective means of keeping periods clean it just all seems so anachronistic. I'm not arguing with what your 'God' or 'Holy Book' is saying, I'm arguing with the concept itself. It reminds me of pubescent boys who are afraid of the P word.
khalaf
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Plute)

In today's world of Tampax and I'm sure, in fact positive, far more effective means of keeping periods clean it just all seems so anachronistic. I'm not arguing with what your 'God' or 'Holy Book' is saying, I'm arguing with the concept itself. It reminds me of pubescent boys who are afraid of the P word.
Whether it's voluntary wasn't my point..Islam never said periods are unclean..This is meant for relieving women of their duties during their periods. It's not something against them..Anyways, i really don't get why you'd be bothered by it. In reply to the thread, they're not meant to, end of
Ala'a
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I don't think anyone but Allah is capable of answering that question :nah:

Maybe you should convert to islam and ask him yourself
hunny god did not make women unclean!! and when i say unclean i don't mean literally DIRTY, it just means not clean enough to perform these religious sacred acts.
plus, men are unclean too after sleeping with women, and thy are not allowed to touch holy qura'an or pray until they clean up,take a bath,and perform wudoo.
i really don't understand why do you want to show Islam as a religion that suppresses women and deprives them from every human right. IT is reallyyyy not like that, i mean Islam is a religion that respects women in every mean.
Peace.
Ala'a
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Plute)
i dunt want to sound disgusting, but excretig is a natural process too, infact it is one of the characteristics of living things,
so does this fact make "S**T" a clean pure thing ?
Diaz89
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I find the notion that women are unclean during their period absurd. Women are inferior to men in Islam (well they are in every religion I suppose), and where is the logic in a woman being unclean? God designed her to have periods! If God Almighty didn't want her to pray to him when 'unclean' he shouldn't have thought of the concept of a period. :rolleyes:
I find your objection absurd, I'm not even a Muslim but the level of ignorance and hostility shown at every piece of Islam is seriously depressing and worrying.

Muslims in general whether man or woman are not allowed to touch the Quran (for some) or pray without preforming wudu (ritual cleaning).
Diaz89
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Plute)
Involuntary ejaculation also happens to men.

When you stand before God or are willing to recite the Quran during the prayer process you're expected to be clean in totality whether it's your body or the clothing you wear, man or woman. However cleanliness is the not the main reason, it's because the woman becomes very weak and experiences weakness and fatigue in her whole body, and that is why they are, exempt from fasting and prayer in order not to add to her weakness. Whether you experience weakness or not is different but for the most part women do.
Diaz89
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Subcutaneous)
I've just written this paragraph, taken from a research by an arab american nurse, on arab american women in the USA, but with islamic faith..is it correct, anythign I may need to add?

Spoiler:
Show

Kridli (2002) discussed the impact of menstruation with Arab American women, those born in America however trace their family history back to arab countries such as Egypt, Lebanon and morocco with the majority of women belonging to the Islamic religion. (Kridli 2002).

She discussed that menarche within the muslim faith is regarded as a celebration and the change from a girl into a young woman, and is therefore expected to behave like one. This can mean starting to be aware and cover up her physical attractiveness through perhaps modest dress or even using the hijab to cover the head. (Braswell 1996, cited by Kridli 2002) Socially this can also mean an exclusion from mingling with the opposite sex, and parents controlling her social life.

Kridli (2002) discussed the methods of pain relief women may use during their menstruation such as natural herbs alongside western medicine and also the cultural belief that cold foods relate to pain, and the avoidance of them.

When considering hygiene during a womans period, the Islamic faith means many women may not shower until their period is over as they are not believed to be clean (or tahra). This can also affect her religious practices such as praying, fasting and pilgrimage, to be able to continue these practices once menstruation is over, she is required to shower. When considering feminine hygiene, due to the Islamic beliefs over the sanctity of a womans virginity tampon use is umcommon.
The last paragraph is incorrect women can have a shower during their period however they are expected to have a shower after it's over to preform a ritual bathing. Secondly it's a common misconception that using tampons is impermissible for unmarried and virgin women because they fear that the woman may not remain a virgin. This, according to the Islamic understanding, is incorrect. The hymen of a woman may be broken in many ways: Injury, accident and through medical examinations.
Plute
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Ala'a)
i dunt want to sound disgusting, but excretig is a natural process too, infact it is one of the characteristics of living things,
so does this fact make "S**T" a clean pure thing ?
Well I certainly don't see it as something unclean and impure? I'd say it is more of a tabboo, especially amongst women.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (260)
38.86%
No - but I will (46)
6.88%
No - I don't want to (49)
7.32%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (314)
46.94%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise