The Student Room Group

OFFICIAL OCR A2 Biology - F214 Thread

Scroll to see replies

Just been through the first module (Communication and Homeostasis) :smile:

One down three to go
Ahhh i've been looking for a thread like this recently. A similar one helped me so much last year.

SO much to learn, so little time :/

Mind you, i'm not looking forward to Unit 2, boo any kind of ecology.
The only thing that looks interesting in Unit 2 is animal behaviour...
Animal behaviour= massive win =D=D I do a lot of dog training.
skatealexia
Animal behaviour= massive win =D=D I do a lot of dog training.

It only looks interesting because we learn the brain. The rest of the unit = massive fail :frown:
Reply 24
I now have proper notes on all four topics. Anything you want to ask I will happily answer (it helps me!)- if I'm wrong correct me! :smile:
Safe guys, just started revising today and am slightly confused on the nerves section...Can someone explain the difference in structure between motor and sensory neurones?

I'm using the 'Biology for OCR' textbook (by Mary Jones) and they go through motor neurones in a lot of depth but barely dedicate a few sentences to the sensory neurone structure.
Reply 26
anyone know where i could get the exam answers for the practice exam questions in the OCR Biology A2 textbook ( sue hocking )

it says they are on the exam cafe CD but we haven't been supplied it :frown:

thanks
You could just look up the relevant codes of the exam questions specified on the internet...
Reply 28
ahhh right damn good ! thanks for that m8 !
Keith_Dave
Safe guys, just started revising today and am slightly confused on the nerves section...Can someone explain the difference in structure between motor and sensory neurones?

I'm using the 'Biology for OCR' textbook (by Mary Jones) and they go through motor neurones in a lot of depth but barely dedicate a few sentences to the sensory neurone structure.

Basically, this picture isn't amazing but it does what I need it to. Sensory Neurone B. The spiky things just before the axon starts is known as an axon terminal. The axon carries the action potential away from the cell body, the dendrite carries it away from the cell body. It has a cell body in the MIDDLE, whereas the Motor neurone has it at the start. The Motor neurone A has a cell body at the start, and its dendrites are the little spiky like tendrils you see, hence they carry the action potential towards the cell body from the CNS. The axon carries the action potential away from the cell body, towards the effector which is usually a muscle or gland. The sensory neurone receives the stimulus from the sensory receptor, and if the threshold is reached, an action potential is generated.

Is that better or?
skatealexia

Basically, this picture isn't amazing but it does what I need it to. Sensory Neurone B. The spiky things just before the axon starts is known as an axon terminal. The axon carries the action potential away from the cell body, the dendrite carries it away from the cell body. It has a cell body in the MIDDLE, whereas the Motor neurone has it at the start. The Motor neurone A has a cell body at the start, and its dendrites are the little spiky like tendrils you see, hence they carry the action potential towards the cell body from the CNS. The axon carries the action potential away from the cell body, towards the effector which is usually a muscle or gland. The sensory neurone receives the stimulus from the sensory receptor, and if the threshold is reached, an action potential is generated.

Is that better or?

Ah yeah, that has helped quite a bit. Thanks for the info...:smile:
Keith_Dave
Ah yeah, that has helped quite a bit. Thanks for the info...:smile:

No problem. I like to help :biggrin:.
Reply 32
aimz08
(c) Explain how respiration in plants and animals depends upon the products of photosynthesis;
Photosynthesis is the main means by which plants, algae and many bacteria produce organic compounds and oxygen from carbon dioxide and water (green arrow). The organic compounds are used again in photosynthesis (red arrow). Whereas, the oxygen produced by photosynthesis is used for respiration. Oxygen was first released as a product of photosynthesis, once the atmosphere contained free oxygen organisms evolved that could use the oxygen for aerobic respiration and release CO2 back into the atmosphere.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/2f/Auto-and_heterotrophs.svg/300px-Auto-and_heterotrophs.svg.png

Is that all we need to know for this part?

Yeah I've just learnt for that specific point:
Respiration in plants and animals depends upon the products of photosynthesis. The products produced in photosynthesis are glucose and oxygen which are the reactants needed for aerobic respiration to take place.

Which is basically what you've just said but simpler :smile:.
Right. How much has everyone else done? I've done all the chapters apart from Excretion. It's just so long...ill probably cram that in a few days before the exam. I've never started revising for an exam this early though...feels a bit wierd.
Reply 34
Keith_Dave
Right. How much has everyone else done? I've done all the chapters apart from Excretion. It's just so long...ill probably cram that in a few days before the exam. I've never started revising for an exam this early though...feels a bit wierd.

Holy...damn I made notes for everything but been doing other subjects a lot and the resit. Need to actually start learning things. Tomorrow I'll start I hope and spend about 4 days on each module then just practice papers

Anyone have the F212 paper & MS from june 09
Reply 35
skatealexia
No problem. I like to help :biggrin:.

hehe I remember you from the AS bio threads :P
(those where a real help :biggrin:)
Ive only started revision today :O and im freaking out
when is the exam?
Bio F214: 25th Jan 2010.

I've got chem F234 On 27th Jan 2010

I also have a long morning on 12th Jan 2010 ~ F211, F212.

Wish me luck!

A2:Biology, Chemistry, Mathematics (All OCR new spec)
chuck111
hehe I remember you from the AS bio threads :P
(those where a real help :biggrin:)
Ive only started revision today :O and im freaking out
when is the exam?

You've got plently of time. Each chapter in the green book takes about a day to go through (aside from Excretion, which is just stupidly long).
Reply 38
What past papers are good for this? Please quote in reply as I'll never find it otherwise!
ameliarainbow1
Bio F214: 25th Jan 2010.

I've got chem F234 On 27th Jan 2010

I also have a long morning on 12th Jan 2010 ~ F211, F212.

Wish me luck!

A2:Biology, Chemistry, Mathematics (All OCR new spec)

Wow i feel for you on the F212, wouldn't want to go through all of that again.

Good luck with all the exams

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending