Turn on thread page Beta

Friend owes me money but won't pay me back because I'm 'more well off'?! watch

• PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I suspect you won't get the money back from him at all, but it's worth a go. It sucks that nice people get used, but you've got to be a bit tougher in future!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeyd85)
    :awesome:

I'm going to remember this.
    And people say Law A Level has no value... :rolleyes:

:awesome:

ReputationRep:
    If he does not pay it back, it's stealing. I would also suggest that you would not be in ANY contact with this person in the future, after you have got your money, because it seems like his morals have not developed at all and I would not trust that kind of person anyway.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Whether you're 'well off' or not is irrelevant, he needs to pay you back! You need to be really blunt with him, and just tell him that he has to pay you back, or your friendship is over.

If it was me, I'd probably take something of his. I know it's a bit wrong, but that's basically what he's done to you.

Pester him day and night until he gives in.

ReputationRep:
    This is why I disliking borrowing (I have never done, people who gave me things did so on their own accord and with explicitly stating that it is FREE), because of inefficiency that most have. I am seriously considering getting those who borrow items/money from me to 'sign' what they have borrowed and to write the date at which they will return it - otherwise I could charge interest.
    Damn, I am a bank now. :p:

But yeah - keep pestering your 'friend'.

ReputationRep:
    Just tell him where to go. He isn't a friend and you need to show him that.

As for interest though, that's equally ridiculous, whoever suggested that.

ReputationRep:
    go to his house when you know hes not in, and if his parents answer tell them that you are there to collect money he owes you and were looking for him, they might give it to you., or if not, they might make him at least

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dejitaru)
    I agree with this totally. I was in a bad situation with money a few months back and had to lend 30 quid off a mate. I knew I couldn't pay her it back in one installment, so I gave her £10 every week over 3 weeks, then bought her some drinks at the pub A form of interest?
    Exactly what I was talking about - and yeah, why shouldn't a couple of drinks be a form of interest? It was over and above the amount you owed

ReputationRep:
    He's not your friend. Tell the **** to pay you back then get the **** out now.

(Original post by Natasharox)
    Whether you're 'well off' or not is irrelevant, he needs to pay you back! You need to be really blunt with him, and just tell him that he has to pay you back, or your friendship is over.

If it was me, I'd probably take something of his. I know it's a bit wrong, but that's basically what he's done to you.

Pester him day and night until he gives in.
    This will work. Two can play at a game.

Next time, don't lend anyone money.

ReputationRep:
    "If you lend £20 to someone and you never see them again, it was probably the best £20 you ever spent."

Cut him out of your life, he sounds like a horrendous person. Sometimes you just have to write off money like that.

ReputationRep:
    lol Friend owes me money..

ReputationRep:
    i'd just let it go and cut it him off entirely.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think your overreacting. I try to avoid lending people money as much as possible because I just can't be botherd with the stress of asking them for it back or waiting for it back. I've never asked anyone for money either apart from my parents. I guess I'm lucky that my parents happily give me money but I do think alot of people need to be more careful with their money.

ReputationRep:
    how much does he owe you? £20? £40?! well my friend owes me £400 - and still hasnt payed it after 2 years!
    i have no idea how to get it back

ReputationRep:
    It shouldn't matter how 'well off' you are!
    A debt is a debt and ill demand it off him,
    'Never a borrower or Lender be'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by booraad)
    Ask him for your money. Tell him you plan on using it to sponsor an African orphan. If he says no, spread the news of his mean-ness.
    I am gona use this on my mate

ReputationRep:
    Hes just totally using you.
    I've known a few people like this, unfortunately. They look at every situation and only care about what THEY can gain from it.
    Whos more well off than who really is invalid.
    If he couldn't afford it, he shouldn't have gone to a meal in the first place. Just because someones on benefits doesn't mean they should get even more free money from their friends, just because their friends have the money. You're under absolutely no obligation whatsoever to lend him money. Even if he is your friend.
    If i had a friend , even if they were my best friend, and they didn't pay me back, i'd eventually stop lending them money.

You're not overreacting at all.
    Friends like this really aren't worth having tbh. (N)

ReputationRep:
    Break his kneecaps.

ReputationRep:
    sorry to hear bout that OP, similar thing happened to me!
    some people just dont have morals.....meh! be mroe wary aboutlending people money in the future..

ReputationRep:
    HaHa you've just met someone bought up on a council estate. trust me I know what these people are like since my city is one big one. I doubt you will get your money back.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 9, 2009
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.