Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    yeah...mostly bits of hindi if im speaking to anyone indian

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 73337)
    Sometimes throw a bit of elvish in there.
    :yy:

ReputationRep:
    I can only speak Franglais :emo:

ReputationRep:
    Yes. It really pisses people off. I said 'aqui tienes' to my dad the other day It means like 'voila' and he was going 'what did you say Annabel, whaaat?' and I do it all the time at school

ReputationRep:
    Yeah but I realise it. Like sometimes I'll say "Wie geht's?" or "Que haces?" to make things interesting.

ReputationRep:
    yesss all the time (:
    also, when i was learning french A Level i had a friend in France who was learning English. so when we spoke, i would speak French and she would speak English back to me, so we had to practise. then we'd switch it around so that we could practise understanding it. i bet it was interesting to listen to us.

ReputationRep:
    I often forget what word I want and end up trying to sign it instead.

ReputationRep:
    Mais oui :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gillybeans)
    I like to throw in 'voulez vou couz chez avec moi, ce soir'.
    No.

ReputationRep:
    I love throwing in Italian while I'm talking. Whenever I talk to my girlfriend I'll go from English to dropping in dei frasi italiani and not really notice; when I'm on the phone, I'll answer it in one of the languages I know - "Dime?" "Ciao!" or "Digui!" - I tend to swear in Spanish though; and say goodbyes in Catalan. I think it's all a bit weird...but, fun.

On MSN, I'll chat in Spanish or Italian, and then forget that my friends don't speak them; so I have to translate things for them. Like, when I'm about to go offline at the end of the day, I'll end up saying "Me voy. Estoy cansado. Hasta mañana, hombre/chica" - and then get told "What?"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by red-ona)
    Do you ever throw random bits of other languages into your speech?
    Do you mean 'Do you speak Modern English'?

ReputationRep:
    Sometimes I do it but I'm always afraid of looking pompous!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, with my best friends its a mixture of Greek and English. Always.

ReputationRep:
    Sometimes I'll throw in a bit of french, but that will just be "au revoir" or something. Nothing out of the ordinary.

(Original post by bex285)
    Yeah, sometimes when I'm with my friend who does French and Spanish and I don't want the rest of the group to know what we're talking about :awesome:
    I knew someone who'd do that, I always thought it was pretty rude.

ReputationRep:
    Yep.

But not often, I tend to throw in different voices or voice sounds instead. That also makes people give you strange looks. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo)
    Yeah, I'm always going 'yalla' to people, it's the best word in the World (short and sweet, means: hurry up, come on, quickly...)

And I call loads of people Habibi.
    :laugh:

My friend thought 'yalla' was the same as 'ya allah' and went around Saudi Arabia saying it constantly. She still wonders why she had so many men following her. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Only when I speak to people who will understand my craziness...

french, german, spanish... the list goes on

ReputationRep:
    Far too often... If I can't think of the English word, I will normally be able to think of the dutch word, and that sets me off... After that, I can think in nothing but Dutch for a couple of minutes, and I don't even realise I have 'changed' language!

ReputationRep:
    Si sometimes without realising

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, although often I find I can't remember the English word for something (yes, English is my first language), I remember asking my stepdad where he kept the Schneidelineal (German for guillotine-paper-cutter-thing) in the office, because I honestly couldn't remember what is was called in English. I've also been known to drop in Italian, French, Latin and Esperanto into conversations unintentionally (or, sometimes, intentionally to annoy someone)

Ĝis la revido

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.