Turn on thread page Beta

Pokemon question. watch

ReputationRep:

I want one.

(Original post by Medic1992)
    This question that some one wrote on this forum buggs me alittle. How do you work it out, do we use maths or suitable pokemon reasoning?

Anyway have a go and see what you get.

Let's say I have two bulbasaurs of opposite gender. I breed them. The male bulbasaur has a 31 IV in attack and the female bulbasaur has a 28IV. What is the probability that the offspring will have 31 IV in attack?
    Parents pass down 3 random IVs and 3 of their own IVs between them. So there's 12 IVs (two parents, 6 IVs each) which can be passed down, 2 of which give you the desired result. Only one quarter of those IVs are actually passed down, giving you a 1/8 chance of having a baby with 28 or 31 as its Attack IV. I think.

I know the poképhysics behind it, just not the maths! Pokénerds FTW.

(Original post by Tsukuyomi)
    :rofl:, you still into pokemon
    So am I.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trigger)
    Get laid...all of you.
    Says the one with cute little Charmander in his sig :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JessicaW)
    So am I.
    Assuming from your avatar and signature you most likely think it's 'cute' to like kids stuff. YOURE A GROWN UP ITS CREEPY

ReputationRep:
    a charizard? :cool:

ReputationRep:
    The Bulbasaur would adopt 3 IV's from its parents (The IV's adopted are random.. all three could come from the male.. or it could be two from the female and one from the male). So there are 6 different IV's per monster (Atk, def, SpA, SpD, HP, Spd), two monsters (x2) = 12.

So if you want a single IV (31 ATK in this case) you have 1/12(rough estimate) chance of getting it as long as your breeding with a 31 IV monster..

The IVs not adopted from the parents are totally RANDOM.

(Original post by Corrosive Blossom)
    The Bulbasaur would adopt 3 IV's from its parents (The IV's adopted are random.. all three could come from the male.. or it could be two from the female and one from the male). So there are 6 different IV's per monster (Atk, def, SpA, SpD, HP, Spd), two monsters (x2) = 12.

So if you want a single IV (31 ATK in this case) you have 1/12(rough estimate) chance of getting it as long as your breeding with a 31 IV monster..

The IVs not adopted from the parents are totally RANDOM.
    :love:

You did the maths better than me.

(Original post by Lolicon)
    Assuming from your avatar and signature you most likely think it's 'cute' to like kids stuff. YOURE A GROWN UP ITS CREEPY
    Awww, why be like that, you're so so silly. :puppyeyes:

**** off.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jangrafess)
    Parents pass down 3 random IVs and 3 of their own IVs between them. So there's 12 IVs (two parents, 6 IVs each) which can be passed down, 2 of which give you the desired result. Only one quarter of those IVs are actually passed down, giving you a 1/8 chance of having a baby with 28 or 31 as its Attack IV. I think.

I know the poképhysics behind it, just not the maths! Pokénerds FTW.
    i had the strongest pokemon diamond team ever, i bred them and IV trained them after excessively researching the maths and everything. For like half the team i spent sooo many hours just killing wild haunters :facepalm:

..and then my 2 year old cousin dropped it in her soup and broke it :emo:

:rofl: what a summer that was :moon:

(Original post by Nfixlol)
    i had the strongest pokemon diamond team ever, i bred them and IV trained them after excessively researching the maths and everything. For like half the team i spent sooo many hours just killing wild haunters :facepalm:

..and then my 2 year old cousin dropped it in her soup and broke it :emo:

:rofl: what a summer that was :moon:
    Hahaha, same sort of thing happened to me. Had 180+ EV trained, perfect IV'd pokémon, teams for every type, doubles teams, thematic teams, etc. Then dropped my DS and now it won't recognise the cartridge. Had 40 shinies, 40 event only pokémon, and so on. So so gutting!

ReputationRep:
    Hahaha, same sort of thing happened to me. Had 180+ EV trained, perfect IV'd pokémon, teams for every type, doubles teams, thematic teams, etc. Then dropped my DS and now it won't recognise the cartridge. Had 40 shinies, 40 event only pokémon, and so on. So so gutting!
    :sadnod: what a waste of a ridiculous number of hours, so ****, i'm guessing you didn't bother starting over either?

:sadnod: what a waste of a ridiculous number of hours, so ****, i'm guessing you didn't bother starting over either?
    700 hours

And nope, not yet. Might get a cheat cartridge and replicate everything... seeing as I've done it before that doesn't count as cheating, does it? :puppyeyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bex285)
    Says the one with cute little Charmander in his sig :awesome:
    I'm a girl :hmpf: I haven't played/watched pokemon in years...the charmanda is anm old avatar i had on here for years, i even used to have a charmanda smilie :trigger : before someone stole it from me :hmpf:

ReputationRep:
    I'm a girl :hmpf: I haven't played/watched pokemon in years...the charmanda is anm old avatar i had on here for years, i even used to have a charmanda smilie :trigger : before someone stole it from me :hmpf:
    Oops, soz :p:
    I wasn't complaining, I think it's cute

ReputationRep:
    Get laid...all of you.
    I love how the person who said this has a pokemon in their sig lol.

But i agree, you're getting way too into it lol. Stick to the carefree days of red and blue :p:

ReputationRep:
    Give it another chance :woo:

ReputationRep:
    700 hours

And nope, not yet. Might get a cheat cartridge and replicate everything... seeing as I've done it before that doesn't count as cheating, does it? :puppyeyes:
    Nah, it doesn't :console: :ninja:

i'm loving the look of the new leaf gold and soul silver or w/e that are coming out and i would actually play them quite seriously but i get the feeling what was acceptable 2 years ago might not be next year at uni :ninja:

Nah, it doesn't :console: :ninja:

i'm loving the look of the new leaf gold and soul silver or w/e that are coming out and i would actually play them quite seriously but i get the feeling what was acceptable 2 years ago might not be next year at uni :ninja:
    Heh, I played through Platinum at uni when that came out. Don't sit around with your mates and play it, just do it when you're alone in your room. I can't wait either.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by roosel4)
    Give it another chance :woo:
    Id love to be playing pokemon on my Nintendo DS but alas i cannot afford it...

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.