Turn on thread page Beta

Number one piece of advice ever given to me: leave your comfort zone. watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xxxpenguinnnxxx)
    That's actually great

I wish i could be confident with everybody i met though =/
    And even some of my friends =/

AND i need to stop taking things to heart, and caring about what people think about me
    I care too much it's unhealthy
    This, i care to much, for a guy it's jsut stupid.

ReputationRep:
    Good advise, i should probably follow it, i probably wont though. I like siting in my own little comfort zone...... in the corner...... quietly....... alone....

ReputationRep:
    I think for the majority it is most likely true, but I know an awful lot of people, like myself, where that advice unfortunately really doesn't help lol. Here's to wishful thinking anyway! x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by revisionnightmare)
    Seriously, nearly every single person on this forum who has a question about girl/boy problems, anxieties etc, who is asking for help just needs to be told. Leave your comfort zone, and stop waiting for things to just magically happen. Sometimes they do, but you need to take some inititive.

When I was 14 I had a tennis coach who used to lecture me about not being confident enough - and I was pretty confident - but he said that I need to literally not care about negative things that people say to be that I haven't deserved to hear. He told me I had to leave my 'comfort zone' more often and to take the setbacks and embrace the positives that come out of it.

I can tell you now, 3 years on I have been through it. Sure, it was incredibly hard at first, to ask girls out, to attempt to buy alcohol with a fake ID etc. But as I did it more often, I became much, much more confident. Now I can literally walk into a room and talk to anyone and not feel awkward at all. Confidence radiates off you. That's why confident people get the girls/boys and all of the attention.

Walk into a room, head high, shoulders back, smile at the person you like and talk to them. It's as simple as that.
    Thanks man, this is a true post. I know what ya mean, I liked this girl in year 10, I kept wondering how to get her attention, waiting for her to look at me, talk to me, so I decided to take a few leaps and leave my comfort zone to get her attention and then I would talk to her on any occasions I had. I got embarrassed the first few times and it was hard. Another piece of advice is to take advantage of moments when you can talk to someone and give your all because sometimes those moments can be rare with a person you like.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jon838)
    Another piece of advice is to take advantage of moments when you can talk to someone and give your all because sometimes those moments can be rare with a person you like.

So darn true! I can't even count the number of times I've screwed up and missed out because I couldn't pull myself together and just talk to them.

OP is totally right and its nice to read. I often try to go outside my comfort zone now- talk to people I wouldn't usually talk to, get out there more lol and involved in group activity stuff because I'm pretty quiet and shy around new people. Its so embarassing and difficult at first and the chances of messing up are over 90% but its worth it. I know I'm definitely improving even if its just a little bit at a time! :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HighSkies)
    So darn true! I can't even count the number of times I've screwed up and missed out because I couldn't pull myself together and just talk to them.
    I had a situation with a girl in one of my lessons and it was a twilight lesson and people were leaving early as the teacher left earlier to prepare for an exhibition. I stayed until the bell went and I turned around and the person I liked was sitting on her own with no-one else in the class; I couldn't think of what to say then and simply walked out of the room.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amandeep_Psych07)
    Good advice, but how do you exactly deal with setbacks in a positive way?

Using your example..."Asking a girl out, and she says No".
    If she says no,

"I'm sorry, you must have misheard me. I said you look like a hippo."

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GavinMcG91)
    If she says no,

"I'm sorry, you must have misheard me. I said you look like a hippo."
    :giggle: I'm going to try that one!

ReputationRep:
    good advice
    been trying to do so recently

its tough though
    i couldnt do it today unfortunately

ReputationRep:
    Good advice there....if I only I could just do it. My Comfort zone is so snug and warm though

ReputationRep:
    ****.....I dont even know what my comfort zone is....:confused:

ReputationRep:
    My whole life is one awkward moment after another.

ReputationRep:
    thats good advice!

ReputationRep:
    "If you can dream but not make dreams your aim"

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 10, 2009
Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.